REVIEWS: 18 JUL 2007 - AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Ka
Newcomer

You are you so right there, he did remind me of a young Frank, he was hilarious, and a good musician! He really got me laughing! :D
s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

That was some major vai-agra experience man!
I have a LOT of pics of the soundcheck Q&A (even of the cat that seemed to be addicted to steve and the carpet, don't ask, I will post m later). And the afterdrink with some people from the metropole, Tom Trapp, Bryan Beller etc was freakin' A!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
JerryNL
Newcomer

Mr.crapo

Finally my review.
Arrived at teh venue quite early and met by coincidence sisterinlaw so taht we could find teh venue entrance together ! i was lucky enough to be quite close to teh stage so taht i enjoyed every single second of this fantastic gig. i mean it was really fantastic, with fantastic people. Did i say Fantastic already ? :wink:
Unlike a lot of people, i definitely enjoyed Zack performance. It sounded like a teenage steve, with great skills and a touch for melody. This guy is a showman. even during the aftershow he was still full of energy !
Then teh show started. Sounds was good, not too loud, and almost everything went ok technically. Sometimes Bryans bass was doing strange sounds , and I am Becoming definitely left some traces in my ears . i guess some speakers did not appreciate the sound produced by steve's guitar ... but ok, what teh hell ?
I was happy to hear a lot of Alien Love Secrets songs, and finally could hear Tender live ! I really enjoyed the violins too, they really bring something else to some songs (Cryin machine, FTLOG ) and overall gives a higher dimension to steve's music . Bryan was really present on stage and it seems he is now feeling more confortable in the band (i remember some french review from Paris show sayin he was a bit out of the mood). Dave is there to give some power and some good sounds to teh overall performance and really is an important member of Steve 's performance to my eyes . and then Jeremi ... this guy is just amazing me each time i see him and i was glad to talk a bit with him after show, talkin about his experience with Marty etc ... he doesnt just play hard, he plays right and commit to teh success of teh performance. I will finish with Steve. Some says he may have done done his best performance and i would agree on that ! he seemed on fire on some songs (building the church ... or was it me ? :lol: ) , and seemed very blessed and touched by the atmosphere in the venue at the end of the show. I did not realise at that time we were 1500 people in there ... Steve gave teh best of himself and i guess everybody saw that . but it wasn't over yet ....

I was lucky to meet Steve and the band aftershow. i got my Aching Hunger Phase 2 ticket signed and had teh opportunity to ask Steve why he called one of his guitar Flo (my name is Flo :P ). i still can not believe Steve was actully talking to me !!! Dave, Ann Mari, Jeremi and Zack shown up too and these guys were taking pictures for us, having fun and overall were super dudes ! I needed a last pic with Steve and me , so i stayed late at teh venue..... well, maybe i should'nt have :wink:

Cause when i got back to teh parking it was damn closed !!! nothing to do but to wait with other fans teh opening of the parking at 6h30 .... at 3 AM, we got back to teh venue and meet up again with the band at their bus. Steve was back from the hotel and felt sorry for us and our parking issue. The man is just the nicest and sweetest person you can imagine.

Thanks a lot again for teh great evening and teh great show !!!!! :D
dryas
Newcomer

JerryNL wrote:lots of videos on YouTube already:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... eg&search=
...and thank you so much for these souvenirs, I immediately copied them and will keep them until there is a Live-DVD of this tour! (I'm still waiting for a DVD of the last tour that was also incredible ...)
At the concert, I felt pretty disturbed by the guy in front of me. the first thing I saw of Steve was not him but a pocket camera ... he (the paparazzo in front of me, not steve!) was taking pics and movies throughout the concert ... annoying. But now, having all those pretty & wonderful souvenirs, I want to say thanx for sharing to all of you ...

never mind the bollocks, here's oxford tasselgas!
Holland
Newcomer

King of the Blues Finalist Zack Wiesinger Opens for Steve Vai.

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/003461.html
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

A little review here with some pics. Unfortunately, most of my pictures were shot to hell :( I really need to bring a real photo camera next time.

A little extra special event took place during the Evo. Co de Kloet gave Steve the very first copy of Sound Theories, along with a nice speech.

The show itself was mindblowingly good. Of all the live shows I've seen from Steve, this one ranks the top (perhaps with the exception of the last Aching Hunger show, but that's a different thing altogether. )

Highlights: All About Eve, Whispering, Ooo, The Violin Duel and basically every note that was played.

Here's some pics for your enjoyment :)

The Bass Man Bryan:

Dave Weiner:

More Dave Weiner:

Ann Marie Calhoun:

Steve Himself:

Roger:

And eh.. I took the opertunity to shoot a few pics of the sisters together :mrgreen: :
EyE

Cool pics Jeroen!! Specially the sisters together. Very Very cool. 8)
sisterinlaw

Ask EJ to come along with us and take his gear. He might need a photo pass though :lol: Nice shot of the Flo's! Glad you had the chance to do this! 8)

Sis.
Mr.crapo

Both Flo 's !!! thx a lot Jeroen !
Sis u know how important teh name of these guitar is for me ;) :D
bennyvx78

Woow ..has it already been a half year ago!!?? Damm ..
I really want to got back to that one night Vai played in the Melkweg in A'dam. Damm.. It was sooo good. the first song was.. ehmm now we run?..Man it had me headbangin' on the balcony and then followed OOOO, so fantastic and cool to hear and see that song played on that 20th anni. guitar.
Vai created an strange surrealistic world with that one. And they also
played the crying machine.. my favorite.

The whole band was fantastic aswel, Those violins really bought and
diffrent dimension and sound texture to the whole show. Ann Marie is beautifull and talented. The whole night was groovy and it boogied and
was the best ever. Such an awesom inspiring night.

I think vai's eye for showmanship has really improved and we'll
love his arstistic and creative endouvers ( right spelling? ) forever.
Keep on playin' ..