REVIEWS: 18 JUL 2007 - AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
naskew
Newcomer

Well I have to admit to loving the show. It was a first for me and I had no idea what to expect. I spoke to some great fans but I did not have the patience to wait for Steve to come out to say hi but clearly he did.

I took a load of picture and you can see them on my site (can't post links here yet because I'm too new but if you go to askew.nl you should find the pictures from there by going to the photos menu and then general music also if my footer appears it might have the link).
cbr1000f

I'm just awakening after this trip to Amsterdam.
Perfect show, perfect sound (congrats to the sound man!). For sure one of the best Vai-concerts I ever witnessed!! Super tight band with each member perfectly fitting in the band, each member has found his/her place and this makes the band much more confident than they were at the start of the tour. Steve at his best, playing at his second home and you could feel he was fully aware of playing a home match. Loved the support act too, what a funny and talented musician this Zack is! At the after show he was as goofy as during the show :D
I missed John & Nila (I saw them in the waiting row at the meet & greet but they were gone before I had the chance to talk to them).
I met & had a chat with Jeroen, Sisterinlaw, Jemgirl & her husband, Bryan Beller (fantastic guy, met him quite some times that day at different places and I finally bought his album), Tom Trapp (he & Pia were watching the show right next to us), Mikey (finally!!!), Dave Weiner (always fun talking to him, my wife tried to convince him NOT to cut his hair after the tour :-D)
And Steve as always, was down-to-earth, very thankful towards his fans (thanked me again when he heard that we came from Belgium to see him). I was happy to hear that he will release "firestrings" in the future. He answered to another fan "I first had to release this cd (Sound Theories I&II) before releasing another orchestral album like Firestrings". He warned the guy that it would be something quite different and very challenging to his fans. I asked Steve if he already had the "rights" to release it and he said he did.
To Steve, the band & the crew: Thanks for a wonderful day!
To Ditn & Eline thanks for the aftershow ticket for my wife!!!
I'll add some concert pics later.
I'm back to bed now...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dirk 'CBR1000F'

Steve & me :D
Finally meeting Mikey :D
Steve, Stimpy777 (the Belgian Jeroen) & my wife
Steve & my wife
Okay, Mikey is huge but not that huge, Steve & the Belgian Jeroen were standing further away from my camera :-D
Dave Weiner & my wife...hmm, they could be a couple :? :D :wink:
Daredevil Zack at the meet & greet
DMDP
Newcomer

For one word there is nothing, there are no words to discribe the feeling
this concert has gave me.

But I'm still going to try:

UTTTTTTERLY ASTHONISCHING OUT OF THIS WORLD MUSICALY INSAIN

But if it would be one word than it would be just,

PERFECT !!!!!!

Thanks Steve and band for making this an episode never to forget

Bastiaan
killerqueen

Gerko,

Everything's forgiven since you posted a few great pictures! :lol:
(and I was talking about the guy with dark hair in front of me anyway). You weren't bothering me, because you stood next to me!

xx Tessa
Gerco

killerqueen wrote:Gerko,

Everything's forgiven since you posted a few great pictures! :lol:
(and I was talking about the guy with dark hair in front of me anyway). You weren't bothering me, because you stood next to me!

xx Tessa
I've made a lot more photo's, but the quality of those photos are too bad imo for publishing them. I wanted to make more photos during the concert but also my second pair of batteries became empty. :cry:

Btw: it's Gerco
JerryNL
Newcomer

jemgirl wrote:indeed ka,it was a wonderful night.
i`m so happy that i meet steve!!!!!!!
Hey, think I was standing to the left of you :) I remember seeing you struggle to get a glimpse of the stage. But you more than made up for that after the show I see :)
Mr.crapo

cbr1000f wrote:I'm just awakening after this trip to Amsterdam.
that is because u spent the whole night in Ams :wink: . I am the french guy who was with u all ! :o good to hear u made it to Belgium. and awesome pics too ! I will post my review later on
cbr1000f

Mr.crapo wrote:
cbr1000f wrote:I'm just awakening after this trip to Amsterdam.
that is because u spent the whole night in Ams :wink: . I am the french guy who was with u all ! :o good to hear u made it to Belgium. and awesome pics too ! I will post my review later on
Hey, I didn't know you were French. I heard you were speaking English & and a moment you did say something in French as well. Damn, we got in our bed the day after around 10 am. My wife hadn't been sleeping for 30 hrs!!! What a hell of a night in Amsterdam that was. For those who read this and do not know what we are talking about; it has something to do with finding a locked parking after the meet and greet and getting stuck in Amsterdam until the morning after :? ... But it was all worth it after all :D
Holland
Newcomer

On July 18th 2007 Steve Vai played the Melkweg in Amsterdam. According to Vai's friend and Vai connaiseur radio-producer Co de Kloet it was one of Vai's best concerts ever. He is probably right. Almost 3 hours of music ranging from classic to asian, and country to rock. But all Vai. The great atmosphere of this night carried Steve and his band members to unknown heights and improvs in the city that loves him. Those 1500 who were there, were part of a unique evening. And young kids from about 12 to 14 were all given a guitar-pick, sometimes offered to take it direct from his guitar headstock. And last but not least: Steve was very entertaining and funny!

JerryNL
Newcomer

Heh, no one even mentioned his cable problems.
It was hilarious to see how Steve handled the situation when his guitar wouldn't produce any sound because of a broken cable.

"Are you saying I broke it??"

heheh :D
cbr1000f

JerryNL wrote:Heh, no one even mentioned his cable problems.
It was hilarious to see how Steve handled the situation when his guitar wouldn't produce any sound because of a broken cable.

"Are you saying I broke it??"

heheh :D
Yes! :) that was one of the fun moments (well not for Steve at first :D) Steve was having trouble to get a sound out of Flo at the beginning of "Whispering a Prayer", the intro kept going on while Steve tried to get Flo alive until he said "I'm confident, Paul will get it working again". Then Paul took the guitar, had a really quick look a the control board and Flo was immediately working again (I guess the cable was simply not connected).
Then Steve said what JerryNL wrote in the post here above. :lol:
dryas
Newcomer

. and zack ... "I like Amsterdam ... there's this 'damn' in it" whoahahaha

steve produced some of the sweetest sounds I ever heard, and so did vanessa mae ...er, ann marie calhoun

the two violins were great, representing the "paganini"-style (Alex: strong clear speedfinger-stuff) and the "sweet&soft"-style, like Menuhin or Grapelli (Ann Marie, what a sweet sound!). The "Duell" between them was one of the highlights of this evening. they sounded like passion&warfare to me ... alex managing to play 8576352 Notes in approximately 2.5 seconds, and then ann marie topping it with only one sound taken from nirvana (not that you get it wrong, she is also VERY fast)

Usually, Steve Vai - Concerts are full of Highlights
I`ve seen Whispering a Prayer and For the Love of God both for the fourth time live, and they were unique again (FTLOG for the violin participation, ooooh shiver ... WAP for some of the sounds produced by THE VAI, really topping Ann Marie's sweetness)

And Yeah, steve, we know there's this something about drummers, they are all like that! (but your drummer CAN play. others are just weird)

so steve put out his sheet of paper recitating a !hymn! ... "I have to read this ... my memory is excellent but short" ... then claiming it's got nothing to do with "what you are doing in those coffeeshops"
... I'm trying to believe you Steve, hehehehehe

this zack 'wacko' wiesinger ... what the fuck...?!?! first, he fits better to a steve vai - concert, because, in his own way, he is as much child as steve (I always felt that eric sardinas takes it too serious)
second, very interesting fingerpicking done in a funny way
AND THIRD OF ALL: OXFORD TASSELGAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

but fans are never satisfied, the last tours were stuffed with seven songs, and as I said, four steve vai - gigs in six years, and still I didn't see windows to the soul live ... but ok, if there's twelve ronaldinhos in your team, you have to leave one out ... I also like lotus feet a lot

what do you mean, "tasselgas"??? could it be a word for the odeur of a flower

some times the sound engineers were sleeping (several times alex would start a solo and they would turn up his volume some seconds late ... maybe the coffeeshop-tasselgas is to blame for that ...) there was a strong tasselgas-smell in the hall, but that is amsterdam, isn't it?

and nice dancing, done by THE VAI ("I am whatever I wanna be")
this is a human being with a multiple-choice-personality
on stage he is every charakter possible for a humanoid, often changing within several seconds, but still always himself, never fake

you think steve could become enlightened in this life? (or maybe, say, until next month?)

so we went home to germany, 22 hours road trip (tour-retour) and 22 hours of amsterdam & VaiDreamCastle, and everybody who missed it, who stayed at home, who said it's not worth the trip ... er ... ok, maybe you were right, because the concert was sold out (vai uijtverkoocht, something like that, what a language! to speak dutch, you need two throats and three lips).

Amsterdam: a very nice and beautiful city, and some places there are from another planet (as well as some musicians we enjoyed that night)

Hempsterdam Tasselgas!
cbr1000f

Nice post, Dryas!
I've been nodding & smiling a lot while reading it. :)
Holland
Newcomer

Thanx for the nice stories Dryas!
I know now there's one more reason never to forget this evening:
there's actually a guy who can make me shout: Oxford Tasselgas.
Zack looked a bit like a very young teenage Frank Zappa!
cbr1000f

Holland wrote: Zack looked a bit like a very young teenage Frank Zappa!
:D
Well maybe next time he'll be "playing bicycle" whilst playing his other stuff on his guitar. I wouldn't be too surprised :D