REVIEWS: 18 JUL 2007 - AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Did you attend this show at Melkweg in Amsterdam?

Please post your reviews here!

Mikey
vai.com
gtstam
Newcomer

That Steve and his band can put a good show, both entertaining and musically challenging is no news to most of us (fans); surprises are known to us too... but just as Steve quoted Co de Kloet's remark from backstage... it is THE most wonderfull show seen, by me anyway, so far in since the David Lee Roth era (haven't seen Steve live earlier than 1986)
Masterfully flabbergasted !!!

The setlist was no surprise as was the length of the gig some 2 hours and 45 minutes... time literally flew.

Then 45 minutes after the gig ended it was time for the all-time wish.. the meet and greet. A single (?) line of people (and a lot of them). A nerve wrecking experience since "what to tell or ask Mr VAI" who by the way is known to people around me as MY GOD :lol: Nerve wrecking also because the parking garage where my car was parked would close in about 40 minutes after Steve entered the room. Two new facts came up in the way to short a time I could spend with Steve.

1. After signing my copy of Mike Keneally's "VAI Piano Reductions Vol. 1"
steve thanked by for buying this beautifull product and mentioned that he was working on a follow up on this

2. After making a ridiculous suggestion (attending my wedding in august of 2008) Steve mentioned he will most likely not visit europe in all of 2008

After two pics made for my by another VAI-fan it was time to hurry along to get my car before being forced into spending the night in Amsterdam.

So this is it.. not so much a review as well as an update on things to come

PS: I must say that Zack Wiesinger was both a surprisingly fresh warm-up
as well as a funny note to the show later on

Steve rules ! Come back soon... miss you already
jemgirl

hi folks!
it was a great show!!
the two violinplayers made it an extra sound to it,they are really good.
i`m still impressed.....god..steve kicked asses there in amsterdam!!!!!
the sound was great!
oke....the after-show thing........
i was so freeking nerveous......there he was..my big hero...i couldn`t say a thing.lol
only one thing i said....mr.steve vai thank you for the wonderful show,steve said..thank you for coming.
it was my pleasure to finally meet mikey!! wat a nice and down to earth guy he is!!thanks mikey!!!!
ohh....before i forget...i`m on picture with steve!!!!
i`ll post that later today.
rest me to say....it was a great gig!!
thank you again steve!!
Last edited by jemgirl on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roonies
Newcomer

He was back in Holland again. After weeks of aching hunger, we wanted to know all about (st)eve. Another great show, seen a lot over the years and everytime Steve was able to surprise everybody with some new musicians. This time the mix with the violins was almost devine. One minor detail was the crowd. When mary and mr.fastfingers had their magical moment on stage I saw a lot of Shredwannabees leave the hall as if they were demonstrating against the violins. Shame on them, while they were playing, people kept talking arround me, it made me a little angry, because it destroyed a magical moment. Mary was able to touch me with her smile and superb play, while mr. fastfingers blew us away with his techniqe. Brian Beller was kicking ass on the bass and Dave weiner....He is growing, getting better every time and what about Jeremy?
a human dr.rhythm, you kick ass man! The Melkweg was a bit overcrowded, too many people in a small theatre, hot, hot and smelly.
Again a great show and recharged my steve-batteries. read earlier he will not visit europe in 2008(pitty) will wait for mr.Vai to return to Holland again and hoping he will pick a better theatre to perform in, maybe Rotterdam Nighttown? Untill then. We keep track of him and hope he will give us many more music in the years to come. Maybe he can perform on North-sea jazz festival, if snoop dog can, mr.Vai sertenly can do better.
Once again, a great show, by the master of space-age guitar, Steve you are able to lift up people with your music and within a decade or so you will join the great composers of history i guess.
Untill the next time,
an old die-hard fan.
Hans van Roon (Spijkenisse) Netherlands
EyE

Folks, just had 3 hours of sleep and normal life allready has kicked my door down. I will give a report of the Evo, the Show and Aftershow later on this day. My mind is still totally out of this world....
I took a ton of pictures that I can't waite to sort out and post here. All I have to say for now regarding this whole Vaiday....................................................................OHH MY F%$#ING GOD!!!!!!

John
JerryNL
Newcomer

Wow, wow, wow, what a great, great show.
It's my third time seeing Mr. Vai play but he never fails to amaze me.
The violins really open up new possiblities for Steve's music. It's like a hint of Aching Hunger still being around (and oh boy, Steve was right, Ann Marie Calhoun is both talented and beautiful).

There was a lot of power in this show. Lots of heavy riffs. Jeremy's powerful drumming added to that as well. I wouldn't expect the violins to be able stand up to that, but they did and it sounded really good.

What I love most about seeing Steve play live is not just his music, but the way he just seems to get caught up in it all is fantastic. His facial expressions and body movements while playing make it an absolute joy to watch him play. Add to that the energy derived from the interaction with his fellow bandmates and that's just what makes Steve's shows so fantastic.

I quite enjoy Steve's humor as well. He's quite chatty isn't he? :D I loved Jeremy's special mobile drum kit. The skull's awesome dude!
I have to say I didn't like Zack that much. It was fun for a single song, but he just went on and on and on. Take Eric Sardinas with you again next time, he was great :)

Only downside was that De Melkweg was indeed overcrowded, but I didn't let that ruin my evening at all. Shame that the trains stop going after like 0:30. Took me nearly 3 hours by train and taxi to get home. I feel like a zombie now.

Thanks again Steve, for a very special evening. I'll certainly be there next time.
killerqueen

Hi guys,

I just woke up from a deep, deep sleep..

Yesterday was amazing. We attended the Arrow festival two weeks ago already, so I had some idea what to expect. That time it hit me fresh; what an amazing new band! What a shame that you can never recreate a first time, but this time still was a blast!
The overall performance was a bit tighter this time, although there were still a few technical problems. Steve handled them with a lot of humour..
And indeed, I've never seen him talk so much, that really personallized the show.

We had a great time even waiting in front of the door for four hours, because of the nice fans around us. That made the time fly.

When the doors finally opened, we ran to the stage, where the Evo-people were already waiting (so no first row sadly). The only downside of that was, that the people in front of us were taking pictures non-stop, wich was really annoying.

Zack was great! I heard some people joking about him, but I don't think they totally got the humour of this guy.. He cracked me up and still layed down some nice walking bass licks! I personally liked him better than Sardinas, especially because Sardinas has been there the last six years in a row.. New band, new fresh opening act!

Steve, I admire your energy to play 2,5 hours (almost) in a row and that you're able to keep that up concert after concert and make every single one of us feel like you're playing just for them. :D
I hope that you enjoyed this concert as much as we did!

XX Tessa
Ka
Newcomer

A BIG THANK YOU FOR A MOST INCREDIBLE SHOW!!! I LOVED THE INTERACTION WITH THE CROWD. PLEASE COME BACK REAL SOON!!! THANKS AGAIN

KA
Gerco

What a great show in Amsterdam!
I was at the Evo, wich was a wonderfull experience. It was the first time I had the change to talk to Steve. Indeed, he's a nice and down to earth person.

The show was great. The sound was perfect. Much better than two years ago in Hardenberg were it was too loud. I said that to him after the show during the meet and greet. He said he had a new soundsman. So, that man did his job very well.
killerqueen wrote:The only downside of that was, that the people in front of us were taking pictures non-stop, wich was really annoying.
.............I'm sorry.................. :(

Pictures of the evo/soundcheck/concert/aftershow here!
Dani B
Newcomer

Sweet Jezus it was awesome!!!!
To me it was my best Vai-concert ever.
When we walked in and I saw the stage I felt kind of funny cause I was on the same stage a while ago but as soon as Mr Vai entered, that thought left my mind and I was high on Vai!

First few songs I could not see a thing because it was so crowded. So I started the search for a better spot and found it :-D
That's what you get for being small, you only get to see the arm pit hair on the people in front of you and look up peoples noses. But this time I was lucky and I could see most of the show.

Vai rules, honestly! He is the star of the evening but does not behave like it. Simply chatting away, making jokes, having fun, enjoying the audience, giving the other band members the opportunity to profile themselves..... (damn!!! that drummer!!!!).... to him everybody is equal end he makes you feel that way.
At the end of the show I was glad he took the time to say goodbye so we, as the audience, were able to give him the credits and support he deserved, because he had been giving all night and I mean giving a lot!!
Watching Vai play is passion in it's purest form. Words just aren't there to describe it.
When he played For the love of God, I knew that would be the end of it..... my husband and I exchanged looks from a distance (he is much taller and his search for a better spot was not that much required as mine) and we both knew what we wanted to say, but again... words are not enough.

*sigh*..... when will he be back again............?
jemgirl

here the pics as promised!!
ohh,eye!! it was very nice to meet you and youre wife!!!!!

Last edited by jemgirl on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ka
Newcomer

Heya GemGirl,
I was standing right behind you Girl!!! I SO am regretting not to have hung around long enough to actually meet Steve! And get the autograph or even better photo.... i was washed away by the gig, i coulndt stand on my legs anymore. Steve and me share the same age, i dont know how he does it..... :lol: Also it would have ment missing connections to get home.... But today i have told myseld several times a was a knit wit, utter fool, for not hanging around!!!!!
Yes he is awonderful person and a wonderful musician, nobody else does it like HIM!!!
Zack was great too! He is a musical clown with a big talent!
Dont we all walk around with great big smiles for the next few weeks...???!!!
jemgirl

Ka wrote:Heya GemGirl,
I was standing right behind you Girl!!! I SO am regretting not to have hung around long enough to actually meet Steve! And get the autograph or even better photo.... i was washed away by the gig, i coulndt stand on my legs anymore. Steve and me share the same age, i dont know how he does it..... :lol: Also it would have ment missing connections to get home.... But today i have told myseld several times a was a knit wit, utter fool, for not hanging around!!!!!
Yes he is awonderful person and a wonderful musician, nobody else does it like HIM!!!
Zack was great too! He is a musical clown with a big talent!
Dont we all walk around with great big smiles for the next few weeks...???!!!
indeed ka,it was a wonderful night.
i`m so happy that i meet steve!!!!!!!
sisterinlaw

A-m-a-z-i-n-g show!

I really love the violins added to the band. Especially in the song The Crying Machine. One of my favorites but this was really special. Really a night to remember. Sorry I am to tired a the moment for a full review in English. Posted my pis in the Photo Gallery thread earlier today.
Melvin

LOVED THE SHOW!
I just have no words for it it was amazing!