REVIEWS: 11 JUL 2007 - MADRID, SPAIN

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
777lovein

wow wow wow great pics :)
_Josu_

Well...I'm more relaxed now...

I really enjoyed the show yesterday. There was a lot of great moments like Tender Surrender (stopped with the Vaaaai Vaaaaaai sang from the audience), All about Eve (very nice with the violins), The audience is listening (I was surprised to hear that one!), Whispering a prayer (we all became crazy in this one and I think Steve really felt It)...and the closure was perfect with Liberty, Answers and FTLOG...

It was great to meet the people of the band before the show and some other guitarists and fans. Thank you all and specially to Steve and the band for such a great night. I won't forget It. It was so inspiring.

I let everyone to get tickets for the rest of the shows, this is something that anyone may miss
salamancafiesta

Hola amigos!

I just got back home an hour ago. Tomorrow I will work on the picture gallery of the show, I have more than 100 pictures that I will have to go through :?

Greetings to the great Vai fans I met at the concert, especially Lucy (finalmente) and atlantakat (dud you rock!).

I took my GF to see a Steve Vai show for the first time. She was deeply impacted by the overall experience of a band playing wonderful melodies in unison, virtuosity, sense of humour and fantasy in the phenomenal stage presence of Steve not less Anne Marie´s and Alex´s. She had been at the London Masterclass :) , but the show is a story unto itself...

It is very curious to see that no matter who you bring to a Steve Vai concert, they always manage to have a great time, even if they are not familiar with this type of music in the first place.

Steve´s compositions are not just pieces of emotions but they also challenge your senses. Seeing epics as parts of the Firegarden Suite or Freakshow Excess played live and pulled through graciously, makes you question if what you are hearing is 'real'.

I have to agree with ATkat, the presence of the two violin players, especially Ann Marie :oops: , puts the show and the music in a new dimension.

Hasta mañana chicos!!!
botskiller
Newcomer

Hi everybody!

It was a long afternoon/evening and I finished totally exhausted!

The EVO Experience was amazing. My English level is not perfect at all and therefore I missed some Steve's remarks. I would be very grateful if anybody could make a summary of each question briefly (I have a bad memory too) and at the same time we can share the experiencie with everybody else.

I will start commenting the question I asked Steve about Gary Moore. I asked him whether he was intended to play with Gary in the future since Moore is one of the legends he has never played with.
He told us he liked the way his music developed through the years and his great tone. He also said Gary is one of the few white men who plays blues fantastically (I don't remember the exact words).

The sad thing is watching Gary and Steve together is unlikely to happen because Steve told us he read time ago that Gary criticized his music and G3s, Moore considered their music lacks feeling (I don't remember what else said, if anybody remembers the exact words, please, let us know too!). In his own words: "what Gary said was brutal".

Anyway, Steve encouraged me to ask Gary about that.

I'll try to add more information later.
juan
Newcomer

Mu bonico el consierto de Madrí, mu agradable la gente y los del grupete tocaban mu bien l, eso si musho ruido...pa mi el mejor fue un chavalin asin delgao que tocaba una guitarra con luces mu rara, esos si, mu bien tocá...pa mi que este chico a tomao clases...
EL cantante del grupo no vino..ya que pa mi que se pilló el atrasco de la m30 a la salida del currele, pero bueno el chavalin de la guitarra se cantó alguna el solico y no se le dio mal

Ale, que nos gusto musho a mis primos y a mi...A ver si alguno traduse esto que a mi el inglé me se da regulan

abraso
lespaulplus

juan wrote:Mu bonico el consierto de Madrí, mu agradable la gente y los del grupete tocaban mu bien l, eso si musho ruido...pa mi el mejor fue un chavalin asin delgao que tocaba una guitarra con luces mu rara, esos si, mu bien tocá...pa mi que este chico a tomao clases...
EL cantante del grupo no vino..ya que pa mi que se pilló el atrasco de la m30 a la salida del currele, pero bueno el chavalin de la guitarra se cantó alguna el solico y no se le dio mal

Ale, que nos gusto musho a mis primos y a mi...A ver si alguno traduse esto que a mi el inglé me se da regulan

abraso
Leyendo esto no sabes si estás en Vai.com o leyendo historias de la put@ mili jajajajaja

Ah, el "chavalín" tiene 47 tacos.....
Gabriel
Newcomer

Translation of "juan" (not just a great translation, sorry):

Very beauty the show in Madrid, the people very nice and the band played very well and... yes, a little very noisy... the best for me, a guy so thin who played a guitar with some lights and very rare, but very well played, i guess that this guy has taken some classes...

The singer didn't come, I think he was surprised by the clogging at the m-30 when he went out from working. Althought, the guy of the guitar sang by himself some songs and he really did not too bad.

My cousins and I liked very much.

Greetings.
lespaulplus

the translation lacks of the original sense of humor. There is no sense in translating that.
_Josu_

salamancafiesta wrote:Hola amigos!

I just got back home an hour ago. Tomorrow I will work on the picture gallery of the show, I have more than 100 pictures that I will have to go through :?

Greetings to the great Vai fans I met at the concert, especially Lucy (finalmente) and atlantakat (dud you rock!).

I took my GF to see a Steve Vai show for the first time. She was deeply impacted by the overall experience of a band playing wonderful melodies in unison, virtuosity, sense of humour and fantasy in the phenomenal stage presence of Steve not less Anne Marie´s and Alex´s. She had been at the London Masterclass :) , but the show is a story unto itself...

It is very curious to see that no matter who you bring to a Steve Vai concert, they always manage to have a great time, even if they are not familiar with this type of music in the first place.

Steve´s compositions are not just pieces of emotions but they also challenge your senses. Seeing epics as parts of the Firegarden Suite or Freakshow Excess played live and pulled through graciously, makes you question if what you are hearing is 'real'.

I have to agree with ATkat, the presence of the two violin players, especially Ann Marie :oops: , puts the show and the music in a new dimension.

Hasta mañana chicos!!!
It was a pleasure to meet you, I was the guy after you while we were waiting out of La Riviera and then also in the show.

I'll be checking your web for taking a look to your photos. The ones I took weren't so good...

Regards
amanvai

Hi folks,

Wonderful pictures ralverezm. I'll put some up very soon. I took quite a few of the show. Say, d'you think you could send me that picture of me and Steve, or post it up on here? Thankyou so much.

I can't help but comment again on how glorious the show was, but what I missed last time was commenting how fantastic the rest of the band was and how nice it was to see them all as real people, interacting, kidding around and having so much fun. What a great set of musicians. Don't you agree?

Anne Marie really has a way with that violin. And that smile that could melt the first row in a glance; Alex is, well trust him, he's a fiddle player. I like the energy he brings to the band; Besides Jeremy's amazingly accurate drumming, I really loved the little do that he did with Steve right before the beast. That just goes to show how much of a real 'show' a Vai show is. It's got everything; Dave was, and I agree with atlntakat, a little subdued, but he played very well and his fun sense of humour absolutely didn't falter; Bryan is a very accomplished bassist, and the rhythm that he and Jeremy create is so dead on, you can't help but just lock into it.

Add Steve and we have the recipe for the most brilliant evening of anyone's life. Boy, taht's not the last time I have that for dinner.

A.
LucySorets

There are no words to describe what took place in La Riviera last Wednesday...to meet Steve, to meet so many friends,
to meet the band, to meet Mikey and to attend a superb and unbelievable show!! it was the best feeling in the world!! :D

salamancafiesta, it was REALLY nice to meet you! We missed you at the London Guitar Show and when you said you are salamancafiesta it was like WOOOW GREAT!!! Enjoyed very much the conversation about music!

atlantakat, Dan, it was so nice to meet you!! Enjoyed every moment and thanks for the advice about the pronuntiation ;-) so I was saying "buy.com" and not "vai.com" LOL Continue enjoying your stay in Barcelona :)

amanvai & ralvarezm, so looking forward to meet you after the messages in the forum :wink: It was cool when we met up when waiting for Mikey to do the EVO! And thanks ralvarezm for posting so many pics! I love them!

Pedro, nice to see you again at EVO :D And the other friends at EVO, it was awesome. And thanks to the two EVO friends who played the guitar while we were waiting for Steve! It was cool!

It was such a pleasure to meet all of you!!

You have to live the EVO experience to believe it. I noticed more than ever that it's not only Steve's music that means so much to us...
it's Steve as a person. With a powerful and positive karma, great common sense & sense of humor, I had to make a big effort to control the happy tears :lol: It was an hour of my life that I will never forget.... we had Vai Karma on our side 8) The whole atmosphere was wonderful!

During the soundcheck...I didn't know exactly what was happening there (thanks Dan (atlantakat) for telling it so well! Great review by the way.) but it was cool that they played "Die to Live" and "The Crying Machine".

We lucky EVO holders had front row :D

Zack Wiesinger was a great surprise. VERY funny, fresh guitar player & entertainer! Zack, you rock!!

You can see the pictures clicking here: MADRID - LA RIVIERA 11/7/07 PICTURES + EVO EXPERIENCE

More later :wink:
LucySorets

Okay, here comes the second part of my review...

Steve played a phenomenal show last Wednesday in Madrid. What a great show.
I've been humming Steve's songs all day :wink:
The guys and the crowd had tremendous energy! The reaction from the audience was overwhelming.
Two standing ovations! Steve completely blew us away!

We were on the front row. It was amazing to hear and see them perform all of the songs live and up close.
La Riviera was rocking and my ears were still ringing the day after :shock:

When he first came out to play "Now we Run" was a total blast! Very surprising and powerful. I guess it was never played live before.
I loved the "Vai dance"!! Those who had seen a show of this tour know what I mean :wink:

The setlist was a good mix of songs. Highlights for me were Ooooo, Buiding the Church, Tender Surrender,
Freak Show Excess (I really liked the way they played this song together)
All About Eve, The Audience is Listening, Whispering a Prayer (a road to heaven) and the Fire Garden Suite last movement!

A shout out to the band! You guys & girl played great together!

Ann Marie Calhoun & Alex DePue violin duel was great. By the way, does anyone know which violin was Ann Marie playing? Was it a Stradivarius?

Jeremy Colsom played the drums sooo hard. It was crazy!

The bass sounded huge!

And Steve...one more time he showed us what a tremendous musician he is...he doesn't need more than a guitar...there is nothing he can't do :shock:
and even more a wonderful guy!

Steve signed autographs & pictures after the show near the tour bus one more time :D And we met Carina Alfie too! She had played two days before here and attended Steve's show!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU STEVE!!!
for coming back to Madrid
for giving us "your everything" :wink:
It was great to meet you again.
The EVO Experience was worth every euro!

Also I wanted to say to Brian Beller & Zack Wiesinger thank you for taking the time to sign & chat after the show!
And to Ann Marie for the autograph near the tour bus! And to Mikey for being so cool with us EVO holders :)

We had a super time and I can't wait to see it again. In fact I'm going to see them next Sunday in London! :wink:

See you there :D
amanvai

Hi lucy,

Wow, wonderful pictures. Especially at soundcheck and EVO. It was so nice to meet you, and the wonderful surprise of stumbling upon you (or rather you finding me) in the EVO line was a very pleasent surprise.

Well, you get to see them all again. You lucky girl. Tell Steve "Hi" from me ok? Ha. And you're very right about Steve. It's not just his music. Steve Vai, to me is not jsut the epitomy of guitar, but of a human being (although I'm not too sure if he's human). And even amongst his dedicated fan base, there are those few, like you and me, share that spiritual connection with Steve, and that admiration of so much more.

Well, Enjoy yourself in London, and tell us all about the show.

A.
salamancafiesta

Hey folks

I finally got the picture gallery online. Over 150 photos!!! As usual it can be reached on my website. The URL is as follows: http://www.salamancafiesta.com/musica.htm

Warning, the best pictures are towards the end of the gallery, as I got closer to the front row, be patient, it will be worth it.

Lucy & ATkat: I put our pics at the end of the gallery ;-)

I enclose several of my favourite shots:

This one is pretty great as I blurred all the background except Steve. I did iit with my camera, no photoshop whatsoever :-)

Enjoy!!!
LucySorets

amanvai, yeahh...It's always a mixture of fun and joy when you finally meet people in real life that you've known via internet
and they really are as cool as you thought they would be 8) By the way, wasn't EVO the best experience ever? :wink:

I'll say hello to Steve for you & the EVO Madrid group if I get the chance!

When I get back I'll do a full show report 8)

Greetings :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
salamancafiesta, Wow! How gorgeous these pictures are!
It was so nice to see you and the pictures are amazing, as usual!!
I really enjoyed looking through them :wink: Great memories!
We had lots of fun :D