REVIEWS: 7 JUL 2007 - LORCA (MURCIA), SPAIN

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEWS: 7 JUL 2007 - LORCA (MURCIA), SPAIN

#1 Post by Jeroen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Did you attend this show at the Fortaleza del Sol?

Please post your reviews here!

Jeroen
vai.com

Manu
Newcomer

#2 Post by Manu » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:22 pm

The show was amazing. The fortress of the sun is a really nice place for a show and the day was special (07/07/07). I think there were about 1000 people.

The set list was:

Now we run
Oooo
Building the church
Tender surrender
Firewall
The attitude song
Dave's solo (Shove the sun aside)
I’m becoming
Die to Live
Freak Show Excess
Angels food
Violin's solo (Crossroads)
Jeremy & Steve
All about Eve
Drum solo
The murder
Juice
Whispering a prayer
Taurus bulba
Liberty
Answers
For the love of God

As it's very late (the show finished at 01:30 AM) I'll leave the review until tomorrow, but here you can see a video of Tender Surrender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLYYlwE4XJU

Tomorrow I'll upload more stuff. Enjoy
Last edited by Manu on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gabriel
Newcomer

#3 Post by Gabriel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Demasiado volumen... no se entendía nada. El estrellado firmamento y la niña del violín, lo más bonito de la noche pero como si me dices que tocaba la pandereta porque entre la descomunal maraña de decibelios quedaba todavía más disimulada que la guitarra de Vai. Gracias al bajista por destrozar mis oidos (alrededor de un 10% de pérdida supongo) y gracias al batería por cambiar el juego de tambores por una plancha de hacer hamburguesas, que sonido tan estridente y maravilloso... qué original, en vez de escuchar el calido y estimulante sonido de un bombo y una caja a medio volumen, mejor darle mamporrazos a una paellera, que suena más fuerte y llega más adentro.... Como no he oido nada, no puedo decir mucho más. Decepcionante, sobre todo por las expectativas que uno se crea, con todo el derecho teniendo en cuenta que hablamos del gran músico y maestro Vai y no de un vulgar pintxadicos que confunde el alma con el bum bum bum... no lo entiendo, supongo que debe quemar tener que tocar siempre las msimas cosas... un dolor de cabeza es lo único que recordaré de este concierto, y las maravillosas vistas, eso sí, desde lo alto de la Fortaleza del Sol. Buenas noches.

PD. Mr Vai, el sonido ideal para mi gusto es el que le has concedido al telonero, que me perdone que no recuerdo su nombre. Sonaba nítido y a un adecuado volumen...

In english, please, yeah, right here:

Too much love killed my ears. The girl of violin very beatiful but it sounds like a pandereta because the sound was confused with the rest of the decibels of the concert. The guy of the bass and his brother on the drums, destroyed my poor ears. Don't you know what the fucking hour you are playing, guys? From a master like Vai, I was more expectanting and expectanting stayed because I dont understand anything. The concert was the representation of the victory of noise, confusion, ignorance... insult for the intelligence of the fans. It sounded like a metal band...... Vai is a metal composer? is a metal guitar? What the hell has to do Vai with metal???? Why it sounded so metallic? maybe, you should think of using wood speaker, but im not an expert, i really dont know why. Good night.

Manu
Newcomer

#4 Post by Manu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:38 am

Ok, now my review.

I went to see the Steve Vai show at Lorca, Murcia (Spain) with 3 friends.

We arrived at the Fortaleza del Sol (the fortress of the sun) early and we parked as high as we could. It was a very sunny and hot day. The entrance area was only about 400 meters from the parking. In the 5 minutes it took us to reach the entrance we realized that the name of the fortress was very well chosen.

According to the ticket, the doors should be opened at 20:00 but until 20:25 they didn’t let us to pass the first security control. In the second security point we were about 100 meters from the stage and the band was in the sound check. The firsts of the queue were able to see “The audience is listening” and a part of “All about Eve”. A few minutes later (20:40), they finally let us to go to the stage. The first row was full of people with EVO ticket (mostly foreigners, probably on vacation in the beaches of Murcia or Alicante). We were lucky enough to get to the second row. I think there were about 1000 people to see Steve.

Before Vai, Zack Wiesinger played a few songs (he started playing at 21:30). He used a very little amp, his clothes were strange to say the least, and he was doing stupid things. I don’t know if he takes drugs or likes to look like a fool. I missed Eric Sardinas a lot. Vai should call Jorge Salan to open his shows (at least in Spain).

Steve Vai started playing Now we run at 22:15. The sound was really loud in the first couple of songs. I’m glad I bought Etymotic ER-20 earplugs after going to the Jorge Salan show (I had my ears ringing for 5 days after that show :P). The drums and the bass were dominant and it was difficult to hear the main guitar. After oooo, the mixing was better, main guitar was more audible, but IMO the bass and drums were still too loud. Probably being so close to the stage wasn’t the best place to talk about it, but…

Steve noticed that it was a special day (07/07/07, as 7 is a really special number for Steve…) and he was very enthusiastic about the show.

One of the greatest moments of the night was when Steve played Tender Surrender. This song should always be in the set list. It’s awesome to see him playing it as it was easy. Just to criticize a little, he didn’t play the pinch harmonics of the songs.

There was something wrong during Firewall. Steve started to sing it pretty good, but at the middle of the song, he didn’t finish all sentences, and was out of time several times. Also the “Boom Shika-Boom” part after the solo was completely wrong. Steve looked around during it and then a sample of it was played.

Dave played Shove the sun aside from his album of the same name.

The musicians in the band were great. However, Billy Sheehan can’t be replaced. Don’t get me wrong, Bryan Beller is good, but Billy is from out of this world and another showman. I really missed him. The violinist (Alex DePue and Ann Marie Calhoun) gave another flavor to Vai’s songs. Their virtuosism was evident and one of the highlights of the night was when they played the crossroad’s duel. They also had a keyboard next to them, but I don’t recall hearing it during the show.

When Jeremy started to play with Steve with his “portable drum kit”, an electric problem surfaced and most of the equipment stopped working. After 3 tries, Steve went down the stage waiting for the technicians to fix it. It was 23:35.

More than 20 minutes later the problem was still there. For a moment I thought that there was a chance for the show to be cancelled, but fortunately the problem was solved and the show was resumed at 00:10.

Steve seemed to be a bit upset for the problem, and was a bit serious for a while, but in a few minutes he was like before the problem.

The band continued playing the songs. Steve was brilliant singing All about eve. I don’t know what happened in firewall. The show ended with his most famous song, For the love of God, as good as always if not better. The band left the stage at 01:10.

It is really awesome to see Steve playing the guitar. It seems so easy watching him. Also, his eye contact with the audience is awesome. The other members of the band had a glazed look while they were playing. However Steve was gesticulating all the time, staring at different people from time to time, looking at their reaction, and sharing that moment with them. Really cool!

I don’t know why Steve didn’t played The crying machine and Light of the moon. Also, he said that it was a special day but didn’t played any “special song” just for that show. Maybe the electric problems were the culprit, so they have to reduce the show a little or as it was late, they were too tired. Anyway, we had a great show and had a lot of fun with the band, and that’s the most important thing.

Steve, thank you very much for a great show and for coming to Lorca. We'll hope to see you there in the next tour! And please include Windows to the Soul in the set list of your next tour ;)

A couple of videos of the show:

Oooh (solo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cwMMX2zdI

For the love of God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ3SgSRHMp0

See two posts above for the setlist

Manu
Newcomer

#5 Post by Manu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:17 am

And finally, some pics of the show:

The fortress of the sun:

Zak:

Vai's band:

lespaulplus

#6 Post by lespaulplus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:07 am

Manu wrote:The first row was full of people with EVO ticket (mostly foreigners, probably on vacation in the beaches of Murcia or Alicante).
Only 9 EVO and we were all spanish except 2 brits

:)

My very short review: Truly Amazing. Keep up the excelence Steve! you are THE GUY.

lespaulplus

#7 Post by lespaulplus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:25 am

Nice review Manu. :D

Manu
Newcomer

#8 Post by Manu » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:34 am

lespaulplus wrote:
Manu wrote:The first row was full of people with EVO ticket (mostly foreigners, probably on vacation in the beaches of Murcia or Alicante).
Only 9 EVO and we were all spanish except 2 brits

:)
Ok, Thanks for the clarification!

champo4x4
Newcomer

#9 Post by champo4x4 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:45 am

Que lástima que el sonido no estuviese bien configurado en Lorca, ya había leido esto en otras ocasiones y estaba temblando por el concierto de Almeria, pero la verdad es que nosotros tuvimos mucha suerte, el sonido fué EXCEPCIONAL. (salvo el bajo que un par de temas sonaba demasiado alto y después lo nivelaron acorde al resto de instrumentos)

jesfeg
Newcomer

#10 Post by jesfeg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 am

It was a very beautiful concert full of energy.
Steve is growing up as musician.
The two violinist was a great idea and gave the concert a new colour.
I enjoyed it very much.

Thank you for a charming night. See you next tour.

jesfeg
Newcomer

#11 Post by jesfeg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 am

Que suerte habeis tenido. La verdad es que hay que comprender que es muy dificil con seguir un buen sonido al aire libre en un lugar como este donde se producen muchos rebotes que cancelan o doblan la intensidad de algunas frecuencias. De todas formas no me pareció un gran problemas para disfrutar del concierto.

jesfeg
Newcomer

#12 Post by jesfeg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 am

Aquí va un video del solo de violines:
Here is a video of the violin solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNod64aQ

Amazing

eve
Newcomer

#13 Post by eve » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:47 am

I attended the show in Lorca, and I haven´t got enough words to describe the whole experience. It was really amazing, exciting, nice, magic, incredible. :D all the members in the band were really great.

Steve was, as always, fantastic. He is the lord of the guitar.
He was in every moment taking care of the audience, very good contact with all people attending the concert.

Except form the incident which made the show to stop, everything was great. And it was a long show, for our luck.

This strange drum machine with skulls that Jeremy wore, was really cool, and funny. :P

And of course Anne Marie and Alex, were really lovely. And gave the show another special feeling. Congratulations!

Zack´s opening act was really funny, playing between other themes the Monster family and the 00/

In reference to the sound, I can say that I heard it not so bad as some people describes, although I was very very near.

I was very lucky, because I could stand in the first places near the scenary. It doesn´t matter how long I had to wait until the begining of the Show. And at the end of the it, I could meet him because when I bought my cd in the web, I received a meet and greet pass. REALLY GREAT!!!. He was really nice, and the rest of the band, too. 8)

prman

#14 Post by prman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:26 pm

"Oooo" is one of my alltime Vai-vourite and to see that ending solo "live" (although on video) made my day. Thank you for sharing, friend!

T bird

WoW!

#15 Post by T bird » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Oh my God'ness of All. I could chew my face off I'm so Excited.