REVIEWS: 30 JUN 2007 - BIDDINGHUIZEN, HOLLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
cbr1000f

I went to this festival with my wife, my 'partner in VAIme' Jeroen (not the Dutch Jeroen but Stimpy777 on this forum), Jeroen's girlfriend Eline and two other good friends (both of them called Dieter :-)).
After the festival we had some mixed feelings and these had nothing to do with Steve or the band.
The organisation sucked (major traffic jam due to misjudgement of the situation, bad timing of the band programming, etc) and I think that Steve's roadies had some problems too (getting it all right in such a short amount of time). There were quite some technical difficulties during the concert. Steve's concert had a delay due to the fact that Thin Lizzy's concert was ending later but in fact that turned out to be something good in combination with the traffic jam (otherwise some people would have missed even more of Steve's concert).
The good stuff:
The new band is fantastic, the new show is simply a must-see!!! We enjoyed the major efforts of the fresh band members that fulfilled the high expectations and the other guys (the 'not so fresh part' :-D) reconfirmed their greatness. Okay, we could see that this was still the beginning of a tour with a new band (and in a non ideal festival situation), so not everything went smooth but I'm sure the band will get tighter and tighter during this tour.
The new band adds a different perspective/flavour to Steve's music and it tasted like more (don't know if that expression exists in English but I think you'll understand) so this evening I got a telephone call of Stimpy777 who asked if he should buy me some tickets for the Melkweg gig as he surely wanted to see this again in better circumstances (and with a full show) and was planning to buy tickets tomorrow. So today I'm glad to say that we'll see this new Vai extravaganza again on July 18th :D )
It's too bad but I missed the other forum members and so I hope to see some of them at the Melkweg gig.
Dirk 'CBR1000F'
prman

BorgAngel wrote:Ok One word....
I recorded some, please enjoy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnA0zkDjHg
OMG! It must`ve been loud `cos everytime Jeremy stomps on kick drum your camera is shaking! Anyway, thanks for the vid.
BorgAngel

prman wrote:
BorgAngel wrote:Ok One word....
I recorded some, please enjoy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnA0zkDjHg
OMG! It must`ve been loud `cos everytime Jeremy stomps on kick drum your camera is shaking! Anyway, thanks for the vid.
For The Love Of God is coming up mate...
BorgAngel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFWBxp30Ukg

For The Love Of God. Live @ The Arrow Rock Festival!

Enjoy
prman

BorgAngel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFWBxp30Ukg

For The Love Of God. Live @ The Arrow Rock Festival!

Enjoy
Thank you, friend! Really good arrangement on this one.
alamo50
Newcomer

Just had to come in here and share with you how very impressed and moved I was experiencing Steve Vai's performace at the Arrow Rock fesatival over here in The Netherlands: WOW.

Before the performance I only knew that Steve is one of world's best guitar players, but I didn't even know how he looked like or even listened to one of his songs. Now everything has changed. I welcome Steve Vai in my life and am ashamed to have never been interested in the mond bobbling art this man makes with his fingers.

I felt the music in my body and witnessed my best concert ever (and I have been going to the Lowlands festival for 12 years now).

RESPECT!
As soon as I got home I ordered the live DVD from London concert in 2001. I am addicted to the electric!!!!

THANK YOU!
CoreISP
Newcomer

Hey Guys,

Here are my pictures:
http://liroy.net/Arrow/pics/1a-Steve%20Vai/
(Note: Some are real bad quality, sorry, others are very nice shots imho!)

Video's are comming up,
but I shot over 1Gb of video material of Steve,
so I have to sort out the bad one's and then upload the good one's,
they will come up though :)

Thanks!

- Liroy
Surfingalien

I was there too :P .
It was an amazing concert and a huge audience.

Q for Steve; Did you stay to see Aerosmith? :)
Sandyman

I was really disappointed about the show. The choice of songs was not my favourite, to say the least... Opening with "Now we run" didn't work at all. The song is weak and Steve turned it into a messy, way too loud kinda hurricane for the ears. "Oooo" is not a good song to play live too, and the excellent solo comes too late to save it.

"Tender Surrender" was the best performance of the show and Steve should have kept that feeling. But "Firewall"and the other songs from "Real Illusions" are too weak to continue that nice atmosphere...

"All about Eve" was a second highlight and I thought it was turning into a good show after all! But then he totally fu*#ed up the Fire Garden Suite and stopped before "Taurus Bulba". Can you believe it?! HE PLAYED THE FIRE GARDEN SUITE WITHOUT TAURUS BULBA!!! That's what I thought anyway, and because I was so disappointed, I was unable to enjoy the next song nor Taurus Bulba when he finally played it...

I just can't believe that Steve cut up the Fire Garden Suite and played it in little pieces... he doesn't understand what is so damn good about his own music! Taurus Bulba should be played directly after Angel Food! The two belong together! It's the song's finale! The apotheose! Doesn't he get that yet?!
Joyzaroo
Newcomer

LOL, I just posted a review at the topic Vai opened :p

It was absolutely awesome! I was there with a friend of mine, who also caught the Vairus after seeing him live :D I couldn't persuade him to listen to Vai, thank God Vai could ;)
Gerco

The show was great. 8) The only bad thing about it was that I wasn't able to watch The Scorpions :( The were playing at the same time at the main stage.
hdehing
Newcomer

Hey everybody,

I don't really understand these rave reviews I'm reading, because I didn't really like this show. The sound was rubbish from where I was standing and I could've done without the violins (although Mary Ann Calhoun was a pretty sight :D ). At some points I couldn't even hear Steve's guitar. I liked previous shows better (the ones with The Breed and those with Mangini / Bynoe) because they were much more to the point and less experimental. I'ts not that I'm not up for some experiments (or I would not like Vai's music at all), but the violins in the Biddinghuizen show were just too much. This being a festival show I expected a show full of rockers and greatest hits, if you will. Highlights for me were For the love of god (even with the violins) and Whispering a prayer. I agree with Sandyman when he states that the Real Illusions stuff doesn't seem to work on stage.

@Sandyman: The FG suite has been cut up before, Angel Food often gets played alone without the rest of the suite. I don't see a problem there, but in this show Angel Food got completely ruined by the violins.

In short: I've seen much better Vai gigs.

BTW I was totally annoyed by people holding their f*cking camera's above their hands like CONSTANTLY. Will these people ever learn that most pix they make are utter CRAP anyway. I say: forbid them!
killerqueen

:lol: that's a nice and positive first entry on this site.. :lol:

I can imagine that not everybody is happy about this line-up. All a matter of taste. And off course the sound quality in a festival is crappy..
But still, for the third show it was really all right. I also heard the mistakes and technical flaws but still had a great time. Why? Because some people happen to love "fire wall" and are happy they played some "fire garden" pieces, even if they were cut up. And the same line-up again would have also given complaints..

Just have a ball! And don't complain about every little technical slip-up.. It still was a blast!!

If you want more (beautiful) women at these concerts and this forum :lol: , you'd better also talk about other things than equipment, which pick to use and why Steve didn't bend the F this time. I can imagine for some people it's really interesting, but I enjoy my music more when I (partially) shut off my inner analist and listen with my senses.

That's how a lot of women listen (and I even know a few men who do)
:wink:
so know you know..

Please don't go hating me now, I just had to get that off my chest, being one of the few women here. It can be quite boring sometimes, but I still love you guys :wink:

BTW,hdehing, do you also hate the people that do not stick camera's in the air but just try to make a nice picture from the front row? So you can see the new gear?
Because, look at my pictures! I didn't bother anyone and made a lot of people very happy with them!

Even men!!

Hugs and XX (because that's what we do best)
Tessa
hdehing
Newcomer

@Tessa:

No Tessa, I don't hate people who shoot pix from the first rows with decent camerastuff, I occasionally do that myself. I even don't mind people taking pix with their compact digi's. But during Vai there were people sticking their camera's in front of my face ALL THE TIME. So that bothered me quite some.

About the gig: I know that this line-up is a matter of taste. Friends of mine liked the violins, they thought the were a nice addition to all this guitar-shredding. You didn't hear me moaning about every fingerslip and tiny mistakes. I know that even Steve is human and therefore entitled to his mistakes. My point is that this show wasn't as tight as could've been. IMO this was just a lesser show. No more than that.

And I welcome all beautiful women to this forum! And not so beautiful women too :D
robatvai
Newcomer

Have almost all Steve's records and listen to them over and over again. Never get bored of his music. Saw him in de HMH in Amsterdam, kicking off the ZPZ European tour. A phenomenon. But here at Biddinghuizen I stood aprox. 5 or 6 meters from the stage, waited for almost an hour before the band could start. But waiting was WORTHWHILE. Shed some tears from time to time, because it was so good: Tender Surrender, All about Eve, For the Love of God, and the rest of the songs, of course. Great band, violins and all that. Thinking back still gives me chicken skin (the shivers). And presenting Co was a nice thing to do. I had already orderred Sound Theories, and it came in last week. Cannot stop listening to it. I recommend it to everybody who loves music, and to everybody who loves Steve's music in particular.
To anyone who has posted pictures: thanx. They are great and they keep the memory of the performance alive. It was a thrill beyond measure.