REVIEWS: 28 APR 2007 - 2ND London Guitar Show Q&A

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Did you attend the second London Guitar Show Q&A featuring Steve?

Write your reviews here!

Thanks,

Mikey
vai.com
Cleggy

Yes I did Mikey thanks for asking.

I dont know what to put in a review of this. What happened was Steve came out, did an intro song, answered loads of questions, then did a bit more playing and questioning, then some playing to leave us. Nice.

My only gripe is that it only lasted for what seemed like 10 minutes.
Seraphim

Hello!!!
I have been there!!! Was a awesome masterclass. So manny interesting questions, manny guitar parts, manny folks from Vai.com that I have meet, nice chat with Steve before the masterclass... what can I cay? Well, I'm HAPPY huh huh
I gonna post my pictures on the photo section, I have tons of pictures :D
Thanks to Steve to provide a tremedous oportunity to see some other side of the music, was a nice interaction between the audience and Steve!!!
8)
reesh
Newcomer

I flew down from Edinburgh to London this morning at 6:15am just to see this.

There are rare moments in my life where I can truly say all my questions were answered. Questions that I didn't even know I was asking.

It was as if everything Steve Vai has ever done didn't matter a damn thing; there was just this guy sitting there who was like us all who had the same concerns, problems and thought processes as the rest of us, like getting back into playing after a break, excitement over making a new song and worrying about losing calluses. I really appreciated that, and also how Steve came across to his audience - I'd often wondered if his chatting to audiences during live shows was pre-rehearsed generic stuff and how he'd actually be upfront, but his manner was very sensitive, warm and calm, and very well considered - his answers to questions were very informative, open and honest. I appreciated the part about the accordian!

I was, however, exceedingly disappointed to see that autographs were not an opportunity today; the information on the LGS website implied that Saturday and Sunday would provide autograph opportunities, with Saturday also having the Q+A session when they wrote "Don't worry, if you miss the masterclass you'll still get to meet Steve on the Sunday".

Nevermind Steve, I'll be waiting for you after the show in Glasgow. But not in a dark-creepy threatening way. Be safe.
R1FSR

I think the second show was a lot better Steve was a lot more relaxed..having a luagh with the audience..ripping it up more on guitar this time .

A bizzare qustion about why Steve doesnt have his own signature guitar lol .

pretty much like the first show but better :D

reesh
Newcomer

Wow man, that's an awesome picture. Yeah what the hell was that girl on about?
KeithH

Ha Ha ! My wife and I were laughing about that ! Even my wife, who has never played a guitar in her life, knows that Steve has his own line of Ibanez guitars !

Why would someone pay to see Steve at a masterclass, push to the front, wait to ask a question, when she has so little knowledge of Steve ? Hardly a new thing either, Jems have been out for 20 years now.

After Steve explained that the one in his hand WAS his signature guitar, didnt she ask a second question, even more stupid ? When Phil Hilborne changed the subject quickly and went on to another question ?

In hindsight, I expected a lot more guitar playing, and maybe not as many embarrassing questions (If you could ask Jimi one thing, what would it be ? I'm not surprised got a bit pissed off and cut the masterclass short)
After hearing one girl have a go at him for not having his own guitar (then having a go at him for having one), and another bloke asking silly rhetorical questions about meeting dead people, it wouldnt surprise me if Steve made that Masterclass his last.

Oh and by the way, thanks very much to Ruta, who we got chatting to just before her 1.30 seminar. It was fascinating to hear her views on managing Mr. Vai, and thanks for being so nice and friendly before the seminar to my wife and I (I was Keith, your new friend from Manchester, thanks for the mention !) and we hope you enjoyed your visit to our country, and hope to see you again, maybe at the tour in Manchester in July.
disaxster

The location was terrible for taking pics and asking questions, that's the main reason (I think) they got a list of questions ready; I was expecting a sort of auditorium with seats, with the usual guy going around with the mike to let people asked questions. It was very good though and Steve was energetic and in good mood (I would say as usual :lol: ).
Nice chat with Ruta (thanks a lot!).

Steve laughs as the audience reminds him he's going to play at the Hammersmith Apollo on july 22nd

8)
-yasi-

Great pics, thank you
EyE

This second show was packed!! A realy big audience just to see Steve, wauw!! btw, on both shows Steve played different versions of "I'm Becomming"!! Soooooo cool!!!
applesteam

I think you should cut her some slack. I don't think that was what she meant. I think what she meant by that question was not if he would ever like to have his own signature guitar, but if he would ever mind the jem became the adopted signature guitar of other guitarists the way the gibson les paul has with slash, joe perry,etc.
Virulent

So who's the turd dusted in pubic hair wearing the PRS shirt sitting next to Steve?

You'd think he might have dressed up a bit for the occasion, maybe had a shave and made an effort to look like he hadn't just rolled out of a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere.

Sheesh!

-V
gscott
Newcomer

Totally agree Applesteam, thats the way I understood the question that she asked.
Totally enjoyed the masterclass, could have listened for hours...

Graham
KeithH

Of course I can't remember the exact wording of the question, but if she had asked if he minded the jem being used by other musucians, why would he reply "Well I already have designed one, and here it is!", and holding up his guitar ? I do remember that bit, and him saying "I get royalties from them".

I'm not criticising her, but it sure did sound to me that she was asking if he would ever design a guitar, and judging by his response, Steve did too...
<Mike>

what is that "pandoras box" that steve has? I want it, where can I buy it?

:P