REVIEWS: 18 OCTOBER - HARDENBERG, HOLLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you seen this show in Hardenberg, Holland?

Well, I did, and it was amazing! :headbang

Steve and the band would love to read your reviews, so post them right here!

:)

--
J
sisterinlaw

Jeroen wrote:it was amazing! :headbang
That's about the shortest review one can give, but so true!! :guitar

Well, I'll try to give my rieview.

I got at the venue just before 3pm. Full shunshine and I sat into the sun for about 30 minutes. Seeing Steve getting into the backdoor of the venue. The EVO Premium Experience started just after 3:30pm. Sorry Mikey for me being stubborn at the metal dectecion. I really had to.

The Q&A lasted over 45 minutes. Very relaxing, no rush at all. Nice questions and long answers by Steve. Nice stories, lots of laughing!
After the Q&A Steve signed some of our things. I had 3 cd booklets signed. Very nice. I also brought the Piano Reduction CD to sign and he specially asked about my thoughts about that one. And as I am more a fan of acoustic and of course the Aching Hunger stuff I think the Piano Reductions CD is really something special.
After that we got to see and hold 3 of Steve's guitars!! EVO, the double neck and the one with the Real Illusions design. Amazing pieces. EVO looks like she's been used. :roll: The other guitars are just amazingly beautiful. That's about all I know about guitars but it feld special to hold them.

After that we went to the soundcheck. That's something people! Steve controls and checks everything not twice but umpteenth times! He seemed not really amuzed about some things at one point. Amazing to see and hear! Seeing Steve at the sound board with those amazingly long and thin fingers controlling like 10 buttons at a time. It's all very precise. I felt very privileged to be able to get so close. (30cm or so)

After that the doors of the venue opened and people started running in. The venue was very cosy. Like a livingroom. Eric Sardinas started blowing the roof of for over 45 minutes. We were close to the stage, on the left side at the speaker. I love earplugs! The sound was good. At the 013 Tilburg show I was next to soundboard and the sound at that point is better than next to the speakers. But I had a much better view at Steve and the band. Which is also cool!

Time flies when you're having fun. And the concert went by fast. I really loved the acoustic set. Sisters.... oh that song is so special for me. Hearing that one played live makes me feel kinda emotional.

Co de Kloet also came on stage to make s a special aannouncement. December is Vai month at the Dutch NPS. This means there will be lots of Vai on the radio and TV!!!
vai.com newspage wrote:October 18, 2005
December Is Steve Vai Month at NPS Holland!

NPS Holland will be featuring over 7 hours with of Vai specials on both television and radio in the month of December! These special feature both The Aching Hunger Phase II as well as Steve Vai and The Breed: Live in Tilburg 2005! Following is the schedule:

December 4, 22:30 - 24:00 on Radio 4FM: Steve Vai & The Breed Live In Tilburg
December 11, 22:30 - 24:00 on Radio 4FM: The Aching Hunger Phase II
December 12, 23:59 on NPS Television: The Aching Hunger Phase II: Part 1
December 18, 22:30 - 24:00 on Radio 4FM: The Aching Hunger Phase II AND Steve Vai & The Breed Live In Tilburg
December 19, 23:59 on NPS Television: The Aching Hunger Phase II: Part 2
Times in CEST. (GMT + 1)

And after playing For the Love of God the show ended. Gheee, what an expierence once again! More pics follow in the coming days. We took about 200 and most of them seem good, or at least good enough. As soon as I get the SD card I'll make an album and put a link in here. Jeroen, I am impatient!! :lol:

Still excited, Sis. 8)

In Dutch: En nu Frans Bauer op de radio, grrmppfff da's ff een koude douche zeg! :?
HeBoMan

Wow......amazing again.......I was in Tilburg standing at the front and this time I choose to be in the mixer area for a better overview and sound, the venue is so small that that's still not far away...... 8) Great show again (of course, I heard a few of the comments and jokes before but that's logical...) and I liked the intimate atmosphere of the small venue a lot (the location only.....in the middle of nowhere :lol: )
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

sisterinlaw wrote:
Well, I have more but I needed some shut-eye first. And boy, Steve, were you ever right...I got up this morning..I mean afternoon, and rain is pissing down, cold & windy. Steve has left the country!

Anyway,
Evo was amazing, just 10 people. Small setting in a nice motor-parts filled bar. Lasted a good hour or so, after which Steve's arsenal was brought in for a photofest.

Soundcheck this time was something else :) Very cool to see Steve being in charge of everything, including the soundboard in the audience space. He got down there with Mojo on a wireless and spend a good half hour teaching the soundboard guy some of the finer elements on how to mix a Vai show.

And..

Sardinas came on, and well.. What a show. I wonder if beer soaked wood in his guitar will improve the sound :)

Steve's show was spectecular as can be expected. Although I was sitting upfront, next to the house PA, the sound was amazingly good - even better than Tilburg. I could hear a perfect mix and each instrument was clearly audible. This time, 'whispering' and 'Lotus Feet' were excellent. He also played the ultra-short version of I am becomming. What else can I say, it just fukken rokked.

Ahh, Vai..... After seeing two years filled with all kinds of amazing Vai concerts (These, Metropole, G3, with Sharon in Paris), it will be a while before we can see another Vai concert in Holland. Thankfully, the NPS will give us December - Vai month soon. I'll miss it like crazy, but I'm sure there will be much cool stuff to look forward to in the meantime.

Goodbye bro, until next time
Last edited by Jeroen on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kobaL

Wow that's was the best show I've ever Been to ! (and my first :P )
Great show guys the Lights where also very very Great !..
I took some pictures so if you want to see them just go to the Photo section of the forum :wink:
I'll not put all of them up cuz that's a bit much but I'll put up Alot 8)
Again very very very Great show ! :wink:
sisterinlaw

Jeroen wrote:
sisterinlaw wrote:
Well, I have more but I needed some shut-eye first.
I know, I know... I was just joking you. :mrgreen:
Great pics man! You're learning fast. ;)

8)
GreenMeanie

Jeroen wrote: And boy, Steve, were you ever right...I got up this morning..I mean afternoon, and rain is pissing down, cold & windy. Steve has left the country!
J! That is an awesome review!! Love the pictures! Cant wait to see more!!! The weather is always beautiful the day before Steve comes to Pennyslvania and the day of the concert the rain pisses down. He must have the opposite affect here! lol

JO :mrgreen:
Last edited by GreenMeanie on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jemgirl

hi sis!!
what a great review!! awsome.
nice pictures too.
he,was it a heavy guitar ?

patricia
ruurdtje
Newcomer

It was a great show.
The concert was 3 hour long and the aucoustic part was great.
Thanks for this wonderfull concert.
After the show i was waiting for Steve Vai.
And finally Steve came.
Here a pic i + Steve Vai.

sisterinlaw

jemgirl wrote:he,was it a heavy guitar ?
The double neck? Yeah pretty heavy. I have no clue on how heavy exactly.

8)
Gerco

The show was great. I was standing in the second row, right in front of Steve. The sound wasn't that good IMO but the lights were great.
Thank you Steve (and the other guys of course).
It was the fourth Vai-show i've been to. The other three were the shows with the Metropole.

After the show i've met Jeremy and Eric Sardinas. They're nice guys.

It was a hard night for my ears, but it was worth it.

It was very nice to see a Vai-show in a venue that's just 30 km from home. 8)
SJGeursen
Newcomer

Again a great show and a great setlist...!!! Probably even better than in Tilburg. Thank you mr Steve Vai and the Breed.
Looking forward to the decembermonth. Thanks to Co de Kloet and the NPS.
:D :D :D
Glorious

Oh,I think I'm going to the Netherlands on a winter vacation :D
dweezil!
Newcomer

Jeroen helemaal gelijk! Ben ook in Tilburg geweest maar eigenlijk voor Billy gegaan.. :lol:

Let op December-> Vai maand!

Jeroen wrote:Have you seen this show in Hardenberg, Holland?

Well, I did, and it was amazing! :headbang

Steve and the band would love to read your reviews, so post them right here!

:)

--
J
KarstenEi
Newcomer

Hello,

I was on the Concert in Cologne on October the 29. 2005

And this time in Hardenberg in the Netherlands!

Again, a great show and briliant music, hope to see you soon with the same musicians in Europe!

I wish you all the best for the rest of the show.

Thx

Karsten Eiler, Creinfeld ( Krefeld )