REVIEWS: July 2, 2005 - The Aching Hunger, Groningen

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
HeBoMan

What a wounderful event is was.....again... 8)
Liked the orchestra-only pieces even more than last year because I knew them so well already (yes, yes, I taped the radio broadcasts..... :oops: ) and that makes the music easier to access.....really loved to see the percussionists work hard and amazing again the 10 min's "guitar solo" on violin by a lady that could be your mother...... 8) She did it as if it was nothing....... what a professionals, the Metropole guys and girls! Steve was brilliant as always. Really love the way his guitar cuts in after The Murder Prologue, this year they forgot about the prologue....what a pity.... Helios and Vesta ruled again (agreed Jeroen). What a wounderful and sweet little piece Steve played just before "Salamanders", called "I'm Becoming" according to the setlist. What was that? Something new? Something I should know? Sweet it was.
Thank you very much again, Steve and Co, for such an astonishing evening......
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

"I am becomming" debuted in Paris in feb, when he played with Sharon Isbin.
Only there it was longer, halfway through he started a vamp based on the rhythm track of "I'm your secrets' - slowed down a little bit, doubled the main riff into his loopstation and played this very tastful, laidback solo over it.

He played it on the US RI tour as well, I think, as introduction to another song..forgot which one. I overheard something that it was based on a section of 'Is it over yet?" (the part where the solo violinist starts).

It's asthonishingly beautiful..And I want to hear it again badly... :)
HeBoMan

Ok, Jeroen, thanks for the info! :)
IbanezRG1570BKL
Newcomer

I wass there too!!
took me 5 hours driving with my dad, but it was worth it!!
Cant wait till october 2nd, CYA there steve!

Greetz
Amano

IbanezRG1570BKL wrote:I wass there too!!
took me 5 hours driving with my dad, but it was worth it!!
Cant wait till october 2nd, CYA there steve!

Greetz
A five hour drive from Bergen op zoom? Heavy traffic I presume? :lol:

I went from goes and arrived within four hours.
jemgirl

yep heavy traffic amano!!
it took us also 4 hours to get there.
sender
Newcomer

Hello,

Does anyone know when the dvd is coming????? :?: :!:
Synchronicity
Newcomer

I've no idea when the dvd will be released, but I just read on the NPS-website that they will broadcast the Vai-concert in december on dutch television. They will be paying tribute to the Metropole Orchestra that month including the concert they did with Steve.

The original text on the site:
Metropole Orkest 60 jaar
In december besteden we in NPS Output ruim aandacht aan het Metropole Orkest dat dit jaar haar 60-jarig bestaan viert. U kunt onder andere het concert zien van gitarist Steve Vai en het Metropole Orkest (Aching Hunger part II).
sisterinlaw

Synchronicity wrote:The original text on the site:
Metropole Orkest 60 jaar
In december besteden we in NPS Output ruim aandacht aan het Metropole Orkest dat dit jaar haar 60-jarig bestaan viert. U kunt onder andere het concert zien van gitarist Steve Vai en het Metropole Orkest (Aching Hunger part II).
Metropole Orchestra 60 years
In December we will pay special attention to the Metropole Orchestra's 60th anniversary in our program "NPS Output". You can, for one, see the concert of guitarist Steve Vai and the Metropole Orchestra. (Aching Hunger part II)

NB: This is on Dutch national television channel: Nederland 3.

:shock:

Oh damn!!!! I'll be on holiday!!! Maybe they'll broadcast after I return but the chance is ssooo little.
Hopefully the CD/DVD will be released before my holiday so I can take it with me on our 6 weeks trip! Dunno, just hope so.

8)

<edit: Mod7v. Reason: read the bootleg/piracy rules>
sword

7string wrote:In one word AWESOME!
This was the best of all Aching Hungers.
Maybe because it was recorded for television and DVD but this one was the best! Not only Steve gone totally crazy on his axe, the Metropole Orchestra also played so good. The sound was perfect. It was a great show.

The second set was full of blazing guitarwork, as we expect from Steve, and at the 1st encore "For the love of god" he reached his max. Man, he was blowing the audience away with this performance of FTLOG.
You have to see it on the DVD to know what I mean. Not only the guitarwork, but the performance was soo powerfull!

I have seen 4 AH shows in total now and as I already said, this was the best.
And are we lucky or what? This one is coming on DVD!
So take my little advice: GO AND GET THAT DVD!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: So, when's that coming out? I hope very soon!!! Can't get enough Vai for sure, especially behind an orchestra. Plus, I've always wanted to see him play the blue Jem. I wonder why he doesn't play it at any other concerts.

(¯`·._.·†§wo®Ð†·._.·´¯)
cbr1000f

So, when's that coming out? I hope very soon!!!
I spoke briefly to Co de Kloet at the 'Real Illusions'-show in Tilburg. I asked when the 'Aching Hunger'-dvd would be available. He answered "Next year...I guess not before autumn 2006". When I said "Well, I guess there's a lot of work involved with such a project", he nodded.