REVIEWS: July 2, 2005 - The Aching Hunger, Groningen

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
jemgirl

b2 wrote:How long time did the show last?
I look forward to get the dvd one day and ALL fans have to tell us
in what frame we can see you :D

Jemgirl, great you got to the show!
indeed b2!!!!
it was brilliant!!!!!!

btw, it was very nice to shake hands with jeroen,
and ofcourse......sisterinlaw yep i got a present from her, some very nice.....rode klompen ,hahaha thank you so much sis!!!!
back in the car when driving home i felt asleep with ftlog pounding in my brain,man did i sleep!!! like a rose!!!
jemke

Sitting at the second row of a Steve Vai show with a great orchestra, great sound and a lot of camera's to record a DVD is just amazing. I drove up to 5 hours from home and 4 back but it is worth it!

This kind of concert is for me the ideal Frank Zappa experience. I've never saw FZ, I'am too young, but I like Steve's influence from FZ.

Steve was playing good yesterday, some real freaky parts and his new trick: When his sustainer starts to feedback he blows the string softly, very funny. (He did it with his tongue before :D )
Vaihalenfan
Newcomer

Boys and girls,

prepare yourself for this DVD. It will knock your soxs off. :shock:

@Carsten ; Schade das Ihr Steve nicht mehr getroffen habt. Aber es dauert ja nicht mehr lange bis Köln !!!!!!!!!!!
sisterinlaw

jemgirl wrote:and ofcourse......sisterinlaw yep i got a present from her, some very nice.....rode klompen ,hahaha thank you so much sis!!!!
You're welcome. Actually %thd had to do it but I couldn't resist when I saw that tiny rode klompen-key ring.. Felt so sorry for you.... :? Glad you like it.

Back on topic now

The show was amazing! It was the first time I saw Steve perform and -like everybody said- it is really impressive. So was the Orchestra of course. They can really grap a venue with their massive power. Unbelievable! I cannot give you a technical review, I do not even know the names of the songs. But it feels like that doesn't matter. I'll learn that when I buy the cd and dvd! ;)

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the show and meeting all the nice and lovely people before and after the show. Thanks everybody!

Last edited by sisterinlaw on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

So this night Steve, the orchestra and the crowd tore the place apart. From all the shows i've seen, including last year, this one topped by far. And thank god it's on film.

Seeing it, it truely pisses me off badly that they want to end the NPS. That's just criminal. Where else can we experience something unique as this?

If the deletion of NPS goes through, I sincerely hope that Co and Steve use the few years they have left to get as many of this done as possible. And if the NPS gets to stay, I hope they do these projects forever :)

Read here all about it:
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12518

Anyway, it was great to see and meet with a bunch of messageboard friends again :)

I truely had the best week of my life!

On to Phase III ! :)

Edit: Ps: Helios & Vesta ruled...
Last edited by Jeroen on Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
ROCK KITTEN 76

nice to meet you too J .NIGHT 1 I was threatening to kick myself for not being There night 2 now i'm doing it......right now YEAH im kicking myself. still glad I was there in first place. :wink:

kittz
Anyway, it was great to see and meet with a bunch of messageboard friends again
Saitenquaeler7
Newcomer

I saw the world premier last year in Groningen and I`ve been there last night. Hey waht more can I say then absolutly "AWESOME" I am really locking forward for the DVD!
I want to thank Co de Kloet, the Metropole Orchestra and Steve for making another unforgetable experince possible and I hope that you can continue your work!

P.S.: You left me smiling all night long :D :D :D :D :D ! Thanks guys!
And Steve, see you in september in Cologne.
jemgirl

the guy who kept steve`s guitars in tune was so nice to let me take some pics of flo

aadh
Newcomer

We saw both concerts in Groningen. It was awsome. Espescially the Saturday concert was amazing. As well Steve as the Metropole was unbelievable. I can't wait to see the show on dvd.

Steve and the people of the Metropole, thank you for a wonderfull weekend. I am sure Frank Zappa was sitting on the stage smiling at Steve.

Aad

This picture is from the Friday concert.
Gorthaur
Newcomer

:shock: and :D for me, all evening! It was great!
The power of the orchestrations and the orchestra in real life are amazing!
I feel fortunate that I was able to come... there was a special vibe there for sure!

I hope the recordings captured the intensity of this evening so I can re-live it :wink:
Js1000

It was well worth the 400 km ride to Groningen (800 km on 2 days on the backseat of a motorcycle, ouch my bottom still hurts :) )
The part after the break really was magical man, something happened in that hall that night that's for sure! The intensity (sp?) of the gig was amazing, i hope that emotion is captured on the DVD as well.
And damn I allmost got my hands on a pick Steve threw away, it landed right in front of me and so was crawling underneath the chairs and between people's feet (must have been weird to see :P ) but i didn't find it.
I hope i can get to the gig in antwerp in october for a second try :D
Gerco

The two shows were great. I think the saturday show was the best.
Fortunately I didn't have to ride that far. Just 80 km (50 min.) from home.
I can't wait to see the show on television and dvd. The program (NPS Output) wich will broadcast the show normally start against midnight. For this show I hope they start the program a little bit earlier.
HeBoMan

Js1000 wrote: And damn I allmost got my hands on a pick Steve threw away, it landed right in front of me and so was crawling underneath the chairs and between people's feet (must have been weird to see :P ) but i didn't find it.
I hope i can get to the gig in antwerp in october for a second try :D
Haha, yes, that was a little weird.....I was the guy sitting next to you two guys (left) and you were crawling between my legs as well ( :? ) I thought the long-haired guy in front of us got the pick...... :?:
isis
Newcomer

Hi there!!
Just got home...
Who can give me a complete list of all the songs which were performed on Saturday??? (Cause I do not know all of them) And does anybody have an idea when the DVD/CD will be released?

Thanx alot and keep the memory of an fantastic evening :!:
Carsten
Newcomer

by the way...who was steve's guitar tech???

@vaihalenfan: naja hab immerhin die karte von steve und bryan unterschrieben bekommen....freu mich schon auf köln....klasse leute da zu treffen die man schon kennt :D ......falls der wagen bis da durchhält!!! :wink: