REVIEWS: July 2, 2005 - The Aching Hunger, Groningen

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Did you attend this AMAZING show in Groningen?

Please post your reviews here!

Thanx,

Mikey :)
vai.com
treeduck

Hey Mikey are we ever gonna get a review from you one day? Or have you done one and I missed it? It might be an interesting perspective for us to view it from, just a thought. :)
werner
Newcomer

of course i was there! fantastic.

does anyone have pictures?
EL-CeeDee
Newcomer

Just got home, it was quite a drive, but well worth it !

Review wise,.. I need some time for contemplation...

Later !
7string

In one word AWESOME!
This was the best of all Aching Hungers.
Maybe because it was recorded for television and DVD but this one was the best! Not only Steve gone totally crazy on his axe, the Metropole Orchestra also played so good. The sound was perfect. It was a great show.

After the introduction of Co de Kloet from NPS, who organized this whole thing, Steve came on stage with the conductor stick and "conducted" each different part of the audience how to yell. "I wrote this" he said. "And I wrote this too" looking at the orchestra. Then the conductor Dick Bakker came on stage and received the stick from Steve. Not directly of course, Steve played a bit with him before he handed it over.
Steve left the stage and the orchestra started "Is it over yet?". They played different parts of music Steve wrote, Frangelica (which is my favorite of the songs without Steve), Helios & Vesta and Kill the guy with the ball.
Most of it was the same as last year, but i guess you cannot hear this enough. Including the amazing violin solo, which is a masterpiece for the guitar, I guess for violin it's even harder. But she nailed it!
Also the percussionists did a great job. And the bassplayer, Brian Beller, the drummer and the 2nd guitarist, Peter Tiehuis.
Steve came up to play the last 2 songs of the first set and then they took a break, to prepare for the 2nd, killing, part of Aching Hunger.

Click on the pics for a bigger size.

Received Brians setlist. Thank you very much Brian!

Steve listening to the orchestra

The second set was full of blazing guitarwork, as we expect from Steve, and at the 1st encore "For the love of god" he reached his max. Man, he was blowing the audience away with this performance of FTLOG.
You have to see it on the DVD to know what I mean. Not only the guitarwork, but the performance was soo powerfull! GREAT.
In the part he frequently uses his "Bad Horsie wah", he ended the part not controlling it up and down with his foot glued on it, but really continously stamping on it doing the wah sound, with so much good emotions! If you guitarist are looking for a durable wah-pedal, get this one, it's unbelievable it's still working...

He left the stage but couldn't get away without doing one more song, we needed more Steve Vai.
Before he started the last song he thanked everybody who made this project possible, announced the birthday of Pia, and asked Tom Trapp on stage, the 24 year old guy who wrote out all the different scores.
To thank him Steve gave him his blue JEM as a present!!
The last "Attitude Song" and then he really left, leaving us with that "wooow feeling" behind.

Pictures during the show were just impossible. I was there friday too, and took some pics without a flash from the show, but the very tight security picked me out of the audience, took my camera and I had to format the memorycard...
But I'm glad I could be at the rehearsal on saturday so I could take some pics there.

And I got my best experience EVER!! there at the rehearsal!:

http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12611&start=0

Above is a little impression of my pics. Much more will follow later.
Remarkable, or better said, ingenius was that on the friday show between two songs some people shouted something, and Steve immediately repeated this on his guitar! Then another singed/shouted something and, no problem, what you sing, he plays it on the guitar, perfectly. Amazing!

I have seen 4 AH shows in total now and as I already said, this was the best.
And are we lucky or what? This one is coming on DVD!
So take my little advice: GO AND GET THAT DVD!!

Steve see you in October in Tilburg.
Can't wait to see you play your guitar again.....
Last edited by 7string on Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Amano

They didn't play Ballerina the 2nd night?
jemgirl

what can i say?
it was awsome really awsome!!
i watched the show with one eye,and i was astonished!!!
great performance from the orchestra as well.
steve really kicked asses.
i`m glad i was there.
btw, it was steve`s wife birthday,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patricia
7string

Amano wrote:They didn't play Ballerina the 2nd night?
Unfortunately not :( It's such a pitty this one is missing in the DVD, cause on friday it was great on piano.
Amano

Yeah! that was my favourite one on friday. :(
Buying the CD and DVD anyway though. Hehe
jeejee
Newcomer

there are no words to describe how i feel after these two days (except a bit smelly and i really need to brush my teeth)

the 2nd day started in the beginning of the afternoon in the oosterpoort with fellow forum members john and 7string. Big big tnx to 7string for knowing the right person to get us into rehearsal. I made some very nice pics which i will post later. I was so excited i lost my very expensive wide angle lense... found it anyone ?

the show, in my opinion, was much better. several problems with the guitar had been fixed and steve seemed to play more relaxed. the show was recorded by a very professional 5 camera crew who assured me the results will be great.

Like yesterday Steve made a hint to the Dutch government who is planning to stop the NPS ( It was NPS radio maker Co de Kloet who started this whole project, thank you sooo much, and NPS radio will broadcast the show, thank you sooo much again)

after the show i waited for over 2 hours at the gate in the back. There were people from sweden, italy, france. germany ...great music knows no borders ...After a few drops of rain most people left. I kept waiting with Guilliermo from Milan when suddenly Steve appeared asking "where you waiting for me" ?

I'm not into autographs , nor did i have any questions. I just wanted to say "thank you" and so I did ....
7string

jeejee wrote:Big big tnx to 7string for knowing the right person to get us into rehearsal.
Anytime man!, was cool time hanging around with you guys.
jeejee wrote: The show was recorded by a very professional 5 camera crew who assured me the results will be great.
Pia told me it were 8 camera's! Also 3 on the stage. So this recordings must be marvelous!
Carsten
Newcomer

jeejee wrote:
After a few drops of rain most people left.
The rain wasn't the problem....but we had to get the car back! :wink:

But it was a really great show......and I'm looking forward to meet Steve at the EVO-experience in Cologne!!!
Last edited by Carsten on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
b2

How long time did the show last?
I look forward to get the dvd one day and ALL fans have to tell us
in what frame we can see you :D

Jemgirl, great you got to the show!
Synchronicity
Newcomer

WOW! What an amazing concert. I attended The Aching Hunger Project last year in Groningen, but I felt this one was better. Last year it was a very new experience with his music played by orchestra. This year, I knew what to expect, because of that I was also able to get more into the details of this complex music. I will definitely buy the cd/dvd when it's being released, since this is really something you have to hear over and over again to get every single detail.

As for the camera's, there were eight. Three on balcony's (left, right and center), two moving cams (dolly) right before the stage, two handheld cams on stage and one stationery (without a cameraman) pointed on Dick Bakker, the conductor of the Metropole Orchestra. From what I could see, it was recorded in widescreen.
sisterinlaw

b2 wrote:How long time did the show last?
From 8:15pm untill just before 11.

8)