REVIEWS: 13 APRIL 2005: CHICAGO, IL

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator777

REVIEWS: 13 APRIL 2005: CHICAGO, IL

#1 Post by Moderator777 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Did you attend this show? If so, please post your comments here! :headbang

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com

nboze13
Newcomer

#2 Post by nboze13 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Truly an amazing show! The energy in the packed house was electric, as were the performances by every one on that stage. Steve Vai is from another planet, and I mean that in a VERY good way. I find myself simply standing in awe during the entire show, not only by his playing but by his heart and sincere love for his fans. Thank you, Steve, for the entertainment. I will be back again and again.

funkydoo
Newcomer

#3 Post by funkydoo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:32 am

Little Stevie Vai was in rare form last night. Lots of great energy and fun. I think he really enjoys playing in front of his brother, Mike (who was in attendance last night).

Having seen Steve live before, it was a real thrill to hear some of the new additions to the setlist. I especially liked the rendition of Call It Sleep. Thanks for that one. Also, the new songs sound fantastic live. Building the Church and Midway Creatures were real showcases. Whispering A Prayer was also fantastic. And I absolutley loved watching Steve abuse the wah with vicious stomps during The Audience is Listening (another of my favorites).

The band is stellar, of course. A real inspiration for this musician. If they were in anyone other band, they would be the focal point. But in this band, they complement Steve exceptionally well. Tony MacAlpine and Billy Sheehan? I mean come on! It doesn't get any better than that.

Oh yeah, the Prince-related banter was hilarious. Some day Steve will cover a Prince tune live and blow all of us shredder-fans away.

As many have said, don't come late. You'll miss Eric Sardinas--an outstanding, unique player and great showman. Too bad a drunk guy in the crowd went out of his way to scream in Eric's ear as he jammed through the crowd during his last song. In my opinion, the guy should have been tossed. Sorry Eric, that's not what Chicago is about.

hesed7777
Newcomer

#4 Post by hesed7777 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:50 am

I agree 100% with funkydoo, he summed it up perfectly. Steve and the band were fantastic, thanks guys for putting your hearts completely into the show. Also, I had just a moment to chat with Eric Sardinas and I found him to be a very nice guy. He was a great addition to a truly awesome show!

Xavier

#5 Post by Xavier » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:00 am

Hey, hey, hey! Steve Vai was in classic form last night in Chi-Town. From his arrival to the venue, lost again (remember the 2003 G3 show at the Riviera Theater?), to cracking jokes about popular musicians, Steve Vai really supplemented his flat out "murder/sex/spiritual/etc. guitar" playing! Steve Vai is my numero uno inspiration as a guitar player, musician, and a member of the music industry.

This one girl who's a friend of mine, who I flew in just from Atlanta just for the concert, went to the show with me. We were the first ones in line for the general admission/"pass the line" people AND we also "won" aftershow passes. I wish I had gotten EVO premium experience passes but those sold like 6-packs on a Friday night.

As much as my friend and I <3 the concert, we were entirely disappointed at the lack of organization and communication between Steve Vai Inc. and the House of Blues. Her and I "won" aftershow passes YET could never attend the aftershow party for the very fact that there was a lack of organization and communication between Steve Vai Inc. and the House of Blues. Here's the story in a nutshell:

I entered under this username on Vai.com's message boards to win aftershow passes. I won. I received and e-mail saying I won. I confirmed the e-mail with Mikey. Then, to our surprise, when we get to the HOB, they said that my friend and I had to be 21+ to get the aftershow passes. This is because the HOB thought the aftershow party was gonna be backstage. You have to be 21+ to get backstage in Chicago at the HOB. This is why we didn't get our "little green stickers" (aftershow passes). Then as it turns out, the aftershow wasn't gonna be held backstage afterall. Instead, it was gonna be held on the main floor of the venue. Her and I found this out after the concert was over when we talked to the guy with the Floral JEM. To be on the main floor you don't have to be 21+, at least you didn't in order to actually attend the show. Even still, we couldn't attend the aftershow because we didn't get our aftershow passes initially. WE WERE ON THE LIST!!! There was no list present though. And the security guards sent us home.

Somewhere, somehow, someone literally, if I may, fucked up in all of this process. My friend and I at least didn't. We kept someone, and possibly a guest of their's, from actually receiving an aftershow pass and being able to use it. Even so, I received autographs from Dave Weiner, Billy Sheehan, Eric Sardinas, and yes, Steve Vai. Oooo, and I also got a Steve Vai guitar pick.

Oh, and for those of you who are curious to know who my friend and I were, I was wearing a light green button-down shirt and my friend looks like the girl on the cover of the Real Illusions: Reflections CD.

Ffats

#6 Post by Ffats » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:13 pm

Crazy good show. Thanks for the memories.

I actually was able to ask for my pass and slipped them my ID at the boxoffice (I'm 18) and they promptly handed me my aftershow pass, even though I was told they were not instructed to let anyone under 21 to the aftershow. Very unfortunately, however, I was unable to wait another hour after the show to get some face time. That was a bummer. But, I was really into the show and I think that Steve realized that, so I had a great time. I was able to see all the guys enter in the lobby and said "Hi" to them, so that was fun. I was WAY too startstuck to even get a photo or autograph, hah!

lanceh
Newcomer

#7 Post by lanceh » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:42 pm

wonderful show indeed. i loved how he did so much off flex-able.

it's too bad that the 2nd show was added and the has a show on friday night because project object is in town tonight and tomorrow at maryter's. wouldn't that be amazing? ike, napoleon and steve on stage together doing zappa.

BREW CREW

#8 Post by BREW CREW » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Well, Xavier, obviously Chicago venues suck. You should try Milwaukee or Madison or the Quad cities next time to get the hospitality patrons deserve.... after all, Vai doesn't know what type of venue he is playing at most of the time, he just plays his ass of to give us all he's got. I have been to a few Chicago shows and I think the overall aura of the people that work at and own Chi-town venues are scammers. Steve Vai plays his heart out every time I see him. If he knew what type of treatment his fans recieved, I hope he would not play there anymore. He would definetly make another venue proud to have his fans spend hard earned money and listen to him and the BREED. WE will cheer him anywhere. Other than Chicago

Ffats

#9 Post by Ffats » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:02 pm

BREW CREW wrote:Well, Xavier, obviously Chicago venues suck. You should try Milwaukee or Madison or the Quad cities next time to get the hospitality patrons deserve.... after all, Vai doesn't know what type of venue he is playing at most of the time, he just plays his ass of to give us all he's got. I have been to a few Chicago shows and I think the overall aura of the people that work at and own Chi-town venues are scammers. Steve Vai plays his heart out every time I see him. If he knew what type of treatment his fans recieved, I hope he would not play there anymore. He would definetly make another venue proud to have his fans spend hard earned money and listen to him and the BREED. WE will cheer him anywhere.
I would disagree with your conclusion about the aura. I was treated very fairly and with good hospitality. I think it goes a long way to be nice to those people as well, not screaming their heads off if they don't let you get in line before 3 chicks. I have nothing but respect for the guys that work there because of the things they have to put up with; if you deal the respect out, you'll get that respect right back.

I'm not trying to imply anything about anyone, I hope that's clear.

BREW CREW

#10 Post by BREW CREW » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:20 pm

Yeah, I was a little unfair using the word "aura" within my statement. Too broad, I guess.

Chicago Rich
Newcomer

#11 Post by Chicago Rich » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:54 pm

While having seen Steve over and over again on DVD, I wasnt prepared for him in person! All I can say is WOW! Steve is definitely not of this Earth! And to be So Extremely talented and yet so humble at the same time! We are truly lucky, and the real love that he shows for his fans is incredible! Just an awesome display of total muscianship! And what can I say about Mr Sardinas?! Ive never witnessed anything like that! Im still wondering how he created those soundz out of those guitarz! Incredible playing and a hell of a showman. Heck, If they ever plan on doing a crossroads 2, while Steve would be perfect (and definitely get his
revenge :twisted: ) I think Eric would be awesome for the part!

"That Steve Vai, what a nice lttle boy!"
Last edited by Chicago Rich on Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

shotput250

good show

#12 Post by shotput250 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 am

I went to the columbus show a week ago... and I swear this show was 100 times better for some reason... Steve just played really well... and Whispering a Prayer was by far the best I've ever heard it. I was standing front row towards where steve's microphone was, and I had a really really good time.

And Eric Sardinas is the man!

Ian

dg1027
Newcomer

#13 Post by dg1027 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:43 am

We'll without giving too much away, the EVO Experience and the show were absolutely "amazing" in the truest sense of the word. My sincerest thanks to Steve (and Mikey) for making the EVO Experience it happen!!!

It was truly a humbling experience to meet and talk with Steve in person. Having been a passionate fan for 15 years, its difficult to describe what it was like to have Steve look you in the eye and articulate his thoughts and feelings about his music. Similar to the first time I heard the first notes of Steve's playing, this was a life changing/spiritual awakening for me. Naturally my mind was filled with all of the ways Steve's music has enriched and changed my life, but I found it difficult to fully or justly articulate it to him in the short moments of our conversation.

So Steve, if you're reading this, thank you for being the person you are and continuing on the path of being true to yourself and your music - Real Illussions is incredible!; and all of your albums for that matter! Not only does your music continue to touch and stir my soul, but meeting you has also done the same.

Warm regards,
David

blsabob

#14 Post by blsabob » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Vai was awesome, as always. But it was sold out and extremely packed. And somehow, we ended up in the drunken, mullet-wearing trailer trash section of the floor. I'm just getting too old and intolerant for such scenes. If you want to carry on an inebriated, non-sensical conversation at 85 dbs during the ballads or acoustic set, stay in the back by the bar, with the rest of the posers. Those of us who care enough about the artist to arrive an hour and a half before show time to get decent floor spot shouldn't have to listen to your personal problems and take on the world after dropping $30+ per ticket. There's usually one couple or small group of these genetic defects at any show, but somehow we were surrounded by 4 separate groups of them that tended to converge like some unholy Axis of Ignorance. Next time, I'm going to gut one of these hillbillies like a bloated fish.

So, enough of the bitching, on to the show. I was a bit concerned going in because I read so many reviews of past shows where people said that the sound was bad, distorted and too loud. I don't know if those people were nuts or if the sound guys finally got their act together. The sound was crystal clear (at least on the floor. If you are under the balcony at the HOB, the sound gets CRUSHED. Poor acoustical design work) I brought earplugs but didn't need them. The set list was pretty much the same as what I've seen listed for previous gigs. The amount of banter and goofy showmanship was just enough to show personality but not so much as to get indulgent and annoying. The music was obviously the focal point and it was delivered perfectly. I wish I could have gone again the second night, but I already had plands to see Project Object with Ike Willis and Napoleon Murphy Brock. That show was amazing too. All Zappa fans owe it to themselves to see them. :headbang

kaiser777
Newcomer

#15 Post by kaiser777 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:33 pm

Wow. What an amazing show. I was lucky to get in on the EVO experience. I can't say anything that hasn't been said already. I'm looking forward to the next time Steve comes back to Chicago. I know I'll be there!!! Here's a few funny pictures. Enjoy!
- Pete

http://homepage.mac.com/kaiser777/comiclife