REVIEWS: 04 MARCH 2005: HOUSTON TX

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator7VWH

Did you attend this show at the Verizon Wireless Theatre?

Please post your reviews here. 8)

Moderator7VWH
Shy Boy

I'm leaving in 30 for the EVO Expirence, but when I get back I'll fill you guys in on EVERYTHING (how all the EVO stuff goes down, what I think about the commentary and bonus tracks, pictures of the picks, what the tour book is like, what's at the merch table, and a complete setlist ((I'll try my best to remember it).

3:30 just seems so damn early for a show that doesn't start until 8pm...
laficojr

Shy Boy wrote:I'm leaving in 30 for the EVO Expirence, but when I get back I'll fill you guys in on EVERYTHING (how all the EVO stuff goes down, what I think about the commentary and bonus tracks, pictures of the picks, what the tour book is like, what's at the merch table, and a complete setlist ((I'll try my best to remember it).

3:30 just seems so damn early for a show that doesn't start until 8pm...

Enjoy the show dude....
Then let us know about.... :wink:
cacophonic
Newcomer

This wil be my first Vai concert, can't wait.l
HarryHood
Newcomer

cacophonic wrote:This wil be my first Vai concert, can't wait.l
Enjoy the Show!!! You will not be disappointed.

:lol:
badhorsie551

Overall a great show.

My only real complaint was the inconsistancy of the sound. Sometimes it was perfect and sometimes it was muddy as hell.
armando
Newcomer

:wink: you guys aren't afraid to play freak show excess, are you? dbl. dog dare you to try it in austin! would be glorious if you did. :shock:
Derek

During the soundcheck Vai asked them if they'd learned Freak Show Excess, but the general concensus was a 'hell no.' Jeremy Colson and Sheehan said they had gotten about a third of the way through it, I don't know about Weiner, and McAlpine said he needed more time with it before they could try it, I don't think it's going to happen in two days.

Still definitely a show worth checking out. I'll let the others fill in all the details. :wink:
KBoone
Newcomer

This was my first Steve Vai Concert and it Rocked!!!! :D I loved the Steve Responded to audnce in the he way he played. I especially loved it when he played his acoustic guitar!! And did Sisters that is my all time favorate. His band was a cut above the rest. Can't wait till he comes back to Houston!!! Please come back soon!!! I'm already saving up for front row seats!!!

Kenny Boone :wink:
Shy Boy

OK, I just got back from the greatest night of my life, so lemme break it down for you:

I left the house with my Dad at 2:00, cashed some checks, and headed downtown for the show.

We got there at about 2:45, and parked in a nice underground close by. Parking was $9, but you pay on your way out.

So we get the will call booth, but the tickets aren’t even printed yet. So we wait out side and play I a videogame until a little before 4:00pm. Gigantic Mikey comes through the doors wearing a super cool RI red T-shirt, and holding a rather unstylish clipboard. He goes down the line checking names and handing us our Evo packages, and then lets us in.

Now let me describe the package itself: A tour booklet (available at the merch booth for like $15), containing many pictures of Steve, and two pages for each band member, with short bio’s. The RI signed booklet (sadly dated with the show’s number ((#3)). A small pink pick with the RI cover girl’s face on one side, and Steve’s RI face on the other. The special tour laminate, and the Evo-exclusive CD (came in a special case) containing commentary for each RI track, cover art commentary, and the bonus track “Boogie Man” (with commentary also). All of this came in a nice somewhat see-through RI baggie (nothing too fancy though).

Ok, so now we’re inside. Mikey tells us to pick any seat in the front two rows, so everyone sits and watches the crew set some stuff up and do audio testing a little. Suddenly the signature wail of Steve blasts out of the speakers… everyone looks to the stage thinking they’d just missed him, or expecting him to walk onto stage, but he surprises everyone from behind as he walks up with his wireless bad horsie. He says hi to everyone, and informs us that they’re starting the soundcheck.
They do, and it’s all really boring stuff with fairly little attention paid to the audience (Steve tried to consider us as best he could).

The “30 minute soundcheck” became a 3-hour long, half soundcheck / half rehearsal. Most of this consisted of Steve breaking a few of the songs down into small bits, and having the band play them over and over as he gave pointers as to how to play it right, or do it better.

Three long hours of this and it’s almost 7oclock, time for the venue to open its door to the public. Mikey and Steve wake us up and have us follow them back stage, where Steve proceeds to answer questions for over 30 minuites, passes Evo around (I got a picture holding it), then he signed anything anyone wanted (one guy brought his blue Jem). The next part I won’t spoil, but let’s just say you get a BIG extra perk for having EVO tickets.

So after all this Mikey tells us our tickets have now been printed, and we’ll need to go down and get them so that we can sit in our properly assigned seats. We go down there, get them, and then as we turn around to go back in, some no-nothing door-nazi stops us, and forces us to all go to the far back of the long ass public line (even though we’d been in the theater for four hours already). Mikey tries to reason with the guy, but fails. So we all went to the back of the ticket scanning line, which went by in about five minutes, they searched my bag, and threw away my water (some people’s cameras were being thrown away who had been allowed to bring them in by Mikey earlier, but luckily the guy who took the picture of me with EVO snuck his camera in).

So in we go… again. I see the merch table for the first time. There’s a woman’s RI shirt (with the cover art design to it), a black man’s t-shirt (with the cover art design in silver, white and red ((this is the one I bough), a power twins T, a red RI T which looked cool (had the tour locations printed on the back), a Eric Sardinas T, a Weiner T, a black hat with Steve’s logo in red, and an expensive hokey-looking jersey with a cartoon Steve on it. They also had Billy’s new CD, Eric’s newest CD, Live at in London on DVD, and the tour booklet. I bought that black t, Billy’s CD (which happened to be a signed copy with pick), and Sardinas’ CD. I also swaged one of the many Sardinas posters on my way to my second row seat.

By the time I was seated, Eric was finishing his set. :( Luckily, he did walk into the audience and jam near me, then he got and stage and finished with his beer bottle slide guitar trick (which he busted the cap off of, and beer sprayed down on me).

Then we wait for about twenty minutes, and Vai came on. Don’t ask me for a complete set list, because it was too much to remember. I do remember: Crying machine, whispering, building the church, km pee, I am all of your secrets, part of sisters, part of fire garden on acoustic, the audience is listening, a brand new unplayed song which he didn’t name, I’m the hell outta here, part of blossom suite on the acoustic, liberty, my guitar wants to kill your momma with Eric, everyone soloed at least once, and a couple of costume changes (one of them for the heavy metal portion of the show ;) ).

Overall it ruled! Even though the acoustics were 100x easier to hear than Steve playing fast on the electric.

I got up to take a piss at one point, and there was Sardinas, hanging at the bar. I rushed back, grabbed my CD and poster and rushed back to meet him.

Three words: NICEST.GUY.EVER.

He started by signing Pearls out TO ME, then he opened it and signed the CD itself while telling me how to unlock bonus content on it, then he signed my poster, talked to me a little. I told him how I felt he stole the show, and how honored I was the meet him. So he shook my hand, did one of them half-hugs, and just kept repeating how glad he was I came.

So here’s all my autographed stuff (my Dad took me and got EVO too, so I got all of his stuff):

Two RI signed booklets.
One tour guide signed on the outside, and the other signed on the first page.
A picture I brought signed by Tony and Steve (it was a picture of the two of them).
One of my tour laminate necklace giggy’s signed in silver.
The Billy Sheehan CD came signed.
And the three Eric signatures.
Plus like I said, I got two of everything as far as the EVO stuff is concerned (but I lost one of the picks).

Basically that's it. We ducked out during MGWTKYM, so I don't know if that was it.

Oh, and parking ended up being free!

I took some crappy pics and short movies with my phonecam, so I'll try to upload the couple pics later. I just hope the guy who took all the good pics doesn't loose my email address. :cry:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=124072#124072
Last edited by Shy Boy on Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
natesax7
Newcomer

I have seen Vai in the past and it sounds like this was everything that you can come to expect from one of his shows!

For the first and only time in my life I wish that I lived in Texas not New Mexico.
Peabody

He PASSED Evo around???? No way.
And for those of us not fortunate enough to experience a concert or EVO experience, could you please reveal the "best part of the EVO experience"? You can make a spoiler warning or something :)
Shy Boy

No, Steve doesn't want anyone to tell, because it will ruin a surprise later on.

Concerning EVO, it was an awesome surprise to get to hold her. She felt and played great, but she's nearing her end it appears.
sap

Shy Boy wrote: Three long hours of this and it’s almost 7oclock, time for the venue to open its door to the public. Mikey and Steve wake us up and have us follow them back stage, where Steve proceeds to answer questions for over 30 minuites, passes Evo around (I got a picture holding it), then he signed anything anyone wanted (one guy brought his blue Jem). The next part I won’t spoil, but let’s just say you get a BIG extra perk for having EVO tickets.
I'm the guy with the blue jem. During the Q/A I sat two feet away from Steve. The Evo passes were awesome. I got to see three hours of the sound check, talk to Steve, and hold Evo.
gtrlvr1

Just got home from the first Solo Steve Vai concert I've been to, (I'd seen G3 twice, DLR Eat Em & Smile, and FZ Them or Us Tours) Steve was excellent, as were Billy, Tony, Jeremy, and Dave! Eric Sardinas was excellent too, he's quite the Delta Blues player. My daughter fell in love with Eric and got his autograph. Steve is an awsome person and musician! I was fortunate enough to win meet & greet passes for after the show so we got to say Hi and get autographs! We only had 2 passes and I was going to let my 2 girls use them but my oldest said for me to use 1 and she would wait for us So one of the theater security saw her sitting alone in the lobby waiting and asked her what she was doing,she told him "Waiting for my family"and he told her to 'cmon w/me. He brought her back in with us just as Steve came out to see us! I wish I could thank that guy! Steve is so thoughtful and truly cares about his fans! He asked my daughter how she liked the blue shirt she bought with the gisha girl on it, and said the picture is special to him. I told him I saw him on the Zappa tour and he said "it must'v been in '81 or '82" and "I said yeah but I didn't even know who you were then!!"
Anyway the show was great, all I can really criticize( IMO) is the sound, It was good but could have been balanced out better,as in more powerful kick drum, and the Keyboards & Tony's guitar were hard to hear, other than that it was excellent, I have run sound before and know what a task it is, and when the room fills w/people it all changes from soundcheck, but it could have very well been exactly the way Steve wanted it to sound. I can't give a setlist I have CRSS but I loved the show! 8) [/img]