A problem

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
precario

A problem

#1 Post by precario » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey dudes and dudettes, how are you all doing ?

Well, my problem is:

Sometimes I make some arpeggiated chord progression, two handed chords progression, some Riffs and some Licks. But, I can't develop a main theme or a solo or even a hole song for any of those progressions or Riffs or Licks.

Can anyone tell me why ??? And can anyone tell me what should I do to help to avoid that problem ???

kpxmikey89

#2 Post by kpxmikey89 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:30 pm

well, i would say u should try to keep ur main melody simple or try to come up with tunes that u can bob ur head to u know? what i do is come up with the main melody first, or else if i come up with phrases that doesnt really soudn liek the MAIN melody, i save them for future,

try to create main melodies that is very catchy n stuff, or a melody that u can hum for fun, liek how Satriani does his stuff

JimiVanRhoadsSteen

#3 Post by JimiVanRhoadsSteen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:34 pm

keep your main melody simple. approach it like a singer.
try to get your guitar to sing a line as cool as Robert Plant or something.

don't try making your main melody to complicated...you might just be trying to hard and blocking your creative flow...dont discard something because it's a simple melody on only two strings...go with the flow and im sure you wil find the melodies you're looking for.

precario

#4 Post by precario » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:18 pm

Yeah, but most of these things I make are simple :?

And I don't know why, but almost everything that I "invent" has to have a arpeggiated part on it :?

kpxmikey89

#5 Post by kpxmikey89 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:40 pm

haha arpegios are good, but if u abuse it, u mite sound monotnous, like steve vai sweeps some very colorful and good major arps, but he doesnt abuse it u kno? maybe try vary-ing ur technqiues, tapping, bend, vibrato, mute, sweep, hammer on pull of, ectc..

Ricardo

#6 Post by Ricardo » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:52 pm

Every melody can be seen as part of a scale or arpeggio. So the key to making it interesting is intervals (how one note relates to the next) and rhythm. I say focus on rhythm, make it interesting w/ a good feel, and hearing intervals will come over time.

Ricardo

brainpolice

#7 Post by brainpolice » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:56 pm

Right on! Rythmic interest is where it's at. I always tend to come up with a rythm and just put notes to it. Any melody is going to be boring if it's just straight 8th notes, with no rythm.

precario

#8 Post by precario » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:28 am

Thanx for the advices

kenny
Newcomer

#9 Post by kenny » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:25 pm

i find note articulation to be a major keep to a good melody. It is kind of hard to try to hook someone with a a shredding arpeggiated melody because theres nothing they're left with to hum in they're head you know what i mean. listen to things like FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BAD HORSIE, AUDIENCE IS LISTENING, LOTUS FEET. and out of the steve refrence the main melody of the littlewing solo has always just caught my breath and it is stuck in my head for life how simple are the notes he plays there. whew

precario

#10 Post by precario » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Ok, now we're going slightly off topic :wink:

The problem is, I just make pieces of music, I can`t make a song using these pieces. Is there any exercise to exercise my creation ability ?

little wing
Newcomer

#11 Post by little wing » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:56 pm

hmm.. ill share a little i guess..

when i write a song, sometimes theres an urge to put everything that you think its cool at that time into it. Resulting a super song with stunning solos but zero at melody. as time goes on, i find that its like dude this sucks..

my point is, concentrate on the melody more. The solos are like emotions you bring out, just the matter that they are in different colors all the time.

The best approach to your problem in my opinion is maybe you got to like find the right feel to the song and carefully put the pieces together. It's like telling a story! you can't start by saying ' in the end, spiderman married the wrong women!'. or you can't put a horror doom scence into a love story!

hope that helps and i hope i know what i'm saying too! hehe.. :)

jmchambers5

#12 Post by jmchambers5 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 am

Try taking songs you know, and writing a new melody over the changes. Also, when you learn a tune, dissect it. How does it build? What is the form (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus?). Then take these formulas and write some songs of your own using them. Who cares if it's bad, just follow the formulas. My friend Nate and I spent an entire summer writing bad songs on purpose. Amidst all the bad songs that cam out, and there were some really bad ones, a good one came out. Try all those things as exercises, and of course, one day you can ignore them all.

It's like taking baby steps. You learn the rules and follow them strictly, so that way you know where and when to break them. Like Charlie Parker said,"You have to learn it all so you can forget it."