How fast can you play like this

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
jmchambers5

#16 Post by jmchambers5 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:32 pm

I can do 120 or so constantly over a song.

johny

#17 Post by johny » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Im not sure... but once I drove a BMW at about 240 km/h. :P

Balex the Shizzle

#18 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:20 pm

lol, i htink the only insane people here are the ones who answer honestly, but then again, im a bit mad, so, hmm, confuseing

ElectricG

#19 Post by ElectricG » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:36 pm

some of you guys seriously need to get the sand out of ur vaginas. If he asks how fast u can play, either answer or piss off. Just let him ask the damn question without your damn bullshit "guitar isn't about playing fast" NO SHIT SHERLOCK. LAST TIME I CHECKED THERE _IS_ TECHNIQUE INVOLVED IN PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT. I'm so damn tired of you condescending pricks who act like everyone should have the same opinion as you on music.

Guitargod

#20 Post by Guitargod » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:52 am

ElectricG

Jump in the river dude. :roll:

Bassically it was a stupid question. Who gives a flying F*** how fast you can play. If you can't spark my interest playing slow you can't do it fast.

So, shut the F*** up and play your guitar.

Over and out.

V41

#21 Post by V41 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:03 am

A lot of people care about speed. Every guitar player worries about it at some point in their learning career. It's true it's not really important... it will impress some other guitarists, but most non-guitar players don't know what's hard on a guitar and what isn't, so it isn't going to make much of a difference in that case.

However, I'm sure a lot of people first heard of Steve because he "kicks ass on guitar." I know I did. But that lead me into many more tangible realms of experience with him, where I understood what he was saying and looked to more than just the awesome guitar playing.

But still, if he hadn't been ripping it up on guitar, if he had gone straight to albums like Fire Garden and Ultra Zone (not calling P&W a shred album, but still), I doubt it would have gone over that well.

So in that case, it was good that Steve was fast. Of course, he's also very innovative and has a great stage persona. But some speed is required if you want to get noticed. At least, I would think that was the case.

So what it ultimately comes down to is that, while none of us like the idea, speed does end up mattering, if only a little. Hey, if you're fast enough to get your point across, that's great. But if you want someone to notice your point, you might just have to get their attention first. It's up to you to figure out how to do that.

V41

#22 Post by V41 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:05 am

Guitargod wrote:ElectricG

Jump in the river dude. :roll:

Bassically it was a stupid question. Who gives a flying F*** how fast you can play. If you can't spark my interest playing slow you can't do it fast.

So, shut the F*** up and play your guitar.

Over and out.
This is kind of a lame post, in my opinion, for a few reasons.

1) A lot of people care how fast you can play.

2) Comparisons are fun. They get annoying more often than not, but a healthy debate is nothing sinful.

3) There are plenty of people whose interests are sparked with fast playing over slow playing. Plenty.

4) Why do you capitalize f*ck every time? :lol:

Guitargod

#23 Post by Guitargod » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:44 am

Disregard my last post.

Reading it now, I sound like an ass.

Sorry.

Over and out.

brainpolice

#24 Post by brainpolice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:26 am

Ok I will answer the question then:
Tapping: Around 180-200 with 32nds. Fast huh? I dont pride myself in it though.
Picking: Not very fast. But if I want to sound like a sloppy fool chasing my own tale: Sure, Around 180-200 with 32nds. But it'll be pointless, the lines will sound like a dog chasing his own tail.
So there, i humored you.
But then to truly answer your question: Music isn't just straight 16ths or straight 32nds. So when i actually want to make music, I make melodies and rythms; and pay attention to phrasing. Sure, I can sit here tapping the same septuplets over and over to a metronome at 180-200bpm, but it's not like i'm going to monotonously do that in song. It's not like there will ever be a point in a song where I run up and down a scale mindlessly with straight 32nd notes. When you start to view playing guitar with actual notes and phrases and what you hear in your head, rather then just patterns, these boring patterns become useless. They're just etudes. So in the end, Guitargod's point prevails.

IbanezSA666

#25 Post by IbanezSA666 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:24 pm

180-200bpm 32nds isnt really physically possible now is it? :lol:

dzdncnfsd

#26 Post by dzdncnfsd » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

I think he means 16ths

brainpolice

#27 Post by brainpolice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:06 pm

"180-200bpm 32nds isnt really physically possible now is it?"
Well, with picking, thats about the limit of how humanly fast you can go. That's about as fast as it gets. But notice, I said can with tapping, not picking. It can be done easily, that's just hammers and pulls and taps. It's just one fluid motion. Makes it really easy to play twice as fast as you normally do.
Get out a metronome and put it on 200. Pretty fast, but hear/play 16th notes to it. Pretty fast, but truly not THAT fast. You've heard all the shredders play twice as fast easily. 16th triplets ups the ante, but still very possible, and i'd say around 32nds at that speed is the limit. But the whole point is, who cares? It doesn't matter, the point is to make music, not just scalar patterns of 16ths or 32nds.

LeighG-Quest
Newcomer

#28 Post by LeighG-Quest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:48 pm

Sorry dude, there is no way you can pick 32nd notes at 200bpm with alternate picking. I'm not just talking about scale runs along one or more strings, even trem picking one note would be pretty impossible.the fastest players peak at around 210-250 bpm with 16th notes, which is very very fast. I have never seen a tab or heard a picking run at the speed you suggest, but it would be possible to tap that fast, because of the nature of the technique. If you could direct me to an example of picking that fast, however, I will stand corrected.

brainpolice

#29 Post by brainpolice » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:22 pm

You can already do it yourself if you just trem pick one note as fast as you can.

LeighG-Quest
Newcomer

#30 Post by LeighG-Quest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:37 pm

8 notes for every beat at 200bpm is not possible, you would have to have a plectrum as thin as a human hair, but as resilient as tortex, even the sheer width of the string makes it impossible to economise the movement enough to generate such a speed.

sorry, but your ears are deceiving you. I'm sure you play very fast and very well, but I'm looking at this from a scientific point of view.