Beat It

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Guitargod

#16 Post by Guitargod » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Thank-you brainpolice

brainpolice

#17 Post by brainpolice » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:53 pm

Thankyou for being on the right page. But now i'm gonna count down the minutes before someone disagrees and chops me down - only a matter of time. I think I wont argue this one.

shyboy12

#18 Post by shyboy12 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:43 am

Well, I always practice developing and working on my own melodies and ideas, so you can't say I am not working on my creativity. I am learning the Beat It solo, because I am having trouble pulling it off accurately and I think that if I master that solo my technical ability will improve greatly and thus helping me spend more time on creativity.

JimiVanRhoadsSteen

#19 Post by JimiVanRhoadsSteen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:02 am

Learning solo's note for note is a great ear developement tool.
Learning these solos from other players is like reading a great book.
Every guitarist should know how to play Eruption. If a solo leads you into a new technique, stop and make 12 new exercises out of it and improve your playing 12 times the level your at now!! see!!! that solo just lead to growth as a player.

Don't listen to anyone tell you NOT to learn solos note for note.

After all, if you wanna get paid to survive and keep your chops instead of working at KMart, chances are good you're going to need to know other peoples songs, solos and music, so have it in your arsenal. If somebody wants you to learn song X with insane solo, you better have the skill to pull it off. Or you can be sitting on the sidelines liek some of these guys yapping about how brilliant your playing is and you dont learn other peoples music because of how limiting it is to you as a player....NEXT!
those people don't last long in the rough world of rock n roll guitar, trust me. they fall by the wayside. YOU HAVE to know how to learn other peoples solo/music to be valuable as a player. Otherwise you're a pompous stuck up ass., a musical snob who 'doesnt do this or that'

Listening to someone tell you NOT to learn solos note for note is to take the advice of someone who is telling you to be limited as a player.
They'rebasically saying, 'don't be as good as you can be'

Learning the solo to 'Insert Song Here' isn't always a bad thing. It can leads to a plethora of new ideas, techniques, creativity and inspiration.

You think Vai or Satch can't delve into an encylopedia of learned solos and songs from other players??? You bet your 6 strings they can!!!
There's great wisdome there, you should learn too!!!! learn all the solos you can and know what makes them good.

Of course, never neglect your own creativity, but don't limit yourself or your abilities.

being able to play that Beat It solo might land you a gig that leads to the connections that take you up the ladder 10 steps than where they may be more willing to ear YOUR original stuff.

dont limit yourself, and be wary of people giving advice on what not to do.

jmchambers5

#20 Post by jmchambers5 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:33 pm

Thanks Jimi.

shyboy12

#21 Post by shyboy12 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Thanks for the great advice Jimi. I think you're right when you say it is limiting as player not to be able to imitiate other peoples solos as well. Ok then, I'm off to practice the Beat It solo now... :D

fyrie

#22 Post by fyrie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:26 am

I know exactly what the original poster is talking about when it comes to getting those harmonics just right, and I would say that those harmonics are an enigma even to EVH's style... My ear is telling me that the way those harmonics came into being had to totally do with him, the room, and the level of the amp. I've experienced this in my own recordings, so I know that I am not totally off base here.

shyboy12

#23 Post by shyboy12 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:38 am

I think that may be the case too, because those harmonics are near impossible to play accurate. Only Eddie Van Halen could pull of harmonics like that.

JimiVanRhoadsSteen

#24 Post by JimiVanRhoadsSteen » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:03 pm

Steve Vai spent untold hours figuring out solos and songs note for note.
He certainly cut his teeth learning all of Hendrix's work.

A well rounded musician/guitarist can play a vast repertoire of songs and solos note for note. Steve Vai included. He wore out plently of record players figuring out music like you are with the Beat It solo!! Keep at it!!

Balex the Shizzle

#25 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:56 am

yep, i agree, one of my many failings as a guitarist is that i dont spend any time tryign ot work out other peoples music, im just about getting to the point where i can play a wider range of stuff, so i think i ought to start tryign ot figure out for myself some other peoples stuff.

any suggestions? stairway to heaven solo mebbe, i'll start with that

shyboy12

#26 Post by shyboy12 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:06 am

Stairway To Heaven solos is great, learned that myself a couple of years ago. It's a classic example of call and response phrasing.