Beat It

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
shyboy12

Beat It

#1 Post by shyboy12 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:54 am

Many of you know this as a song by Michael Jackson. You may also know that Eddie Van Halen helped write it. I first heard this song when I was about 5, I was a big MJ fan at the time, and I always thought about how different that song was from his other work. Only recently, I decided to have a go at that amazing piece of music, in particular, Eddie Van Halen's solo. I feel that it must be one of the greatest guitar solos ever, it's the sense of raw attitude in it that makes it so energetic and lively. With Van Halen's gut-busting harmonics and face-melting tapping, you could never go wrong. However, I soon realised how fucking hard that solo is if you want to play it accurately. Typically, I am fairly good when it comes to covering solos accurately, in this case I gave up with in the second bar. Some of those harmonics are virtually impossible to hit, and even if you do hit them, it's very hard to get that real aggressive feel into it. The tapping parts are fine however, except for the occassional stretch, but I can manage. It's just incredibly difficult to pull it all together, if you know what I mean. Can anyone play this solo accurately? Is it even possible?

Guitargod

#2 Post by Guitargod » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:57 am

I heard alot of 16 year olds play that perfectly.

shyboy12

#3 Post by shyboy12 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:32 am

Well, I'm 14, so I've got 2 years to master it :D

stu_hig

#4 Post by stu_hig » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:08 am

I usually don't have enough patience for learning solos. I'm sure I could but I always seem to give up. So do the exact opposite of me. Play till your fingers bleed. :P

Guitargod

#5 Post by Guitargod » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:06 am

Shyboy 12

I want to give you some advice.

You are only 14, so I know you probably won't listen to me.

But, there is no need to copy a solo. You can study it and see what scale he used or what ever.

But, try to do your own thing on solos. You will be better off in the end.

All EVH did was use the Pent scale, or Major or minor scale and used his wammy, and tapped out some notes rather then using a pick to pick them.

So, don't worry to much about copying solos.

Balex the Shizzle

#6 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:24 am

im 14 too, n i generally get bored while trying to learn other peoples solos, it just doesnt get any kind of flow going, cos the ones i can learn are all not how i want to play etc, so i dont see the point in learnin something half heartedly

if a solo really makes me enjoy it, i'll learn it if possible, ive learnt the solo to whole lotta love cos i enjoy playing that, and some other songs

ive only been playing just under a year, n im now starting to look at learning some more vai style stuff, maybe the solo to erotic nightmares, and i want to learn some ozzy osbourne solos wiht randy rhoads, but most solos i can easily manage now i cant be botherd to learn.

neway,
harmonics etc take just lots of practice n playing them to get the feel for, im working on harmonics at the moment as i want ot get more control over them, currently they are either pathetic or dont go anywhere.

stu_hig

#7 Post by stu_hig » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Guitargod wrote:Shyboy 12

But, there is no need to copy a solo. You can study it and see what scale he used or what ever.

All EVH did was use the Pent scale, or Major or minor scale and used his wammy, and tapped out some notes rather then using a pick to pick them.

Not all 14 year olds don't listen! Me included! :P

Balex the Shizzle

#8 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:19 pm

i listen too! :P

precario

#9 Post by precario » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Well, I'm 15 and I hear, but hardly listen :?

I mostly listen what I want, but I hear everything, do you understand ?

Guitar God, you gave a good advice, but I heard it soooooo many times before...

The thing I like most to do in my guitar is those harmonics, like Vai, Satch, or Van Halen, I just love to do them, I also like trying to shred (because I ain't that good)

In conclusion, do whatever you like, since it isn't punk songs :wink:

So, shut up and play yer guitar

shyboy12

#10 Post by shyboy12 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:25 am

Well, I usually practice alot of improvisation or do my own melodic work, but in this case, it's sort of different. Like I said before, I think it's undoubtedly one of the greatest guitar solos ever, and I really love the feel and attitude of it. So, for once I would actually like to imitate a solo. But, you are right guitargod, which is why I always try and do things my own way, makes the solos more suited to me as a musician. But, this is one of the first solos I've come across which is really hard, but I kind of get that feeling that I can do it, you know? So I really want to learn a solo accurately for once, it's a very technically demanding solo in the sense that his technique is somewhat unorthodox. So, can any of you guys play it accurately? Or do you just have any personal opinions about the solo?

shyboy12

#11 Post by shyboy12 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:26 am

precario wrote:So, shut up and play yer guitar
Amen. :P

mrblack

#12 Post by mrblack » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:49 am

shyboy12 wrote: So, can any of you guys play it accurately? Or do you just have any personal opinions about the solo?
No. I can do a rough approximation on a GOOD day, I have the solo transcribed but haven't really tried to learn it. It is cool though.

jmchambers5

#13 Post by jmchambers5 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:12 am

Guitargod wrote:Shyboy 12

I disagree with this. I think an important part of developing your own voice is to emulate solos and players that you enjoy and respect. It's also a great way to build chops without doing boring excercises.

When you learn someone elses solo, your ears, fingers, and time are all excercised. It's also a great way to figure out what sounds you're trying to get. An example is Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of Chitlins Con Carne. When I was a younger guitar player, I loved what he was doing with the melody, but I didn't know what he was doing to get that sound. I got ahold of the transcription and realized that it was strumming octaves with your thumb like Wes Montgomery. From that point on, using octaves in that style were a tool for my own expression.

Shyboy struggles with some of the techniques in the Beat It solo, so a great way to master them and integrate them into his own playing is to learn how to play that solo.

Guitargod

#14 Post by Guitargod » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:26 am

OK, to each his own.

But, I always crinch when I hear a guy doing EVH Eruption for his solo spot.

Come on man, can't you come up with something yourself. Now that is what makes a good musician. Coming up with your own stuff.

brainpolice

#15 Post by brainpolice » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:36 pm

Inspiration is unavoidable. But guitargod's philosophy is spot on. How many people have learned this solo note for note? Alot. And most of them just play it over and over. It didn't lead them to their own ideas. It makes them monotonously play someone else's solo. There's no individuality or creativity involved. Sure, there's advantages to learning someone else's solo, but you're just using their techniques and their ideas. Not yours. Half the problem with most guitarists these days is they just learn other people's licks. And you go online in a guitar room and listen - and everyone plays the same fuggin licks. It's all about "do some sweeps" or "do some string skipping": Techniques, not the actual notes and rythms being played. "Play bladada suite", "hey does someone know too many notes", "play poop kills please!". So much for improvisation and self-expression.
Go ahead, learn it if you like. But it's not going to lead you to your own growth as a musician. It's not going to improve your songwritting. It's not going to improve your improvisation skills. It's not going to improve your creativity. If anything, it's just going to impress some guy in Yahoo Chat or at Guitar Center.