Vocal mannerisms? Vibrato?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Mr. Canadian

hey folks, from a guitar standpoint, which tunes of Vai's would you say have "vocal" type qualities? an answer to that question would be great! BUT if you can illustrate an example where he's doing it utilizing vibrato that'd be EVEN BETTER!

anyone?

thx. :D
Last edited by Mr. Canadian on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAI

Are you talking about Steve's singing voice, or are you talking about the vocal-like qualities of his guitar playing?

Your post isn't quite clear........

:wink:
Mr. Canadian

RAI wrote:Are you talking about Steve's singing voice, or are you talking about the vocal-like qualities of his guitar playing?

Your post isn't quite clear........

:wink:

:oops: :?

in his guitar playing. thanks for pointing that out RAI.
Zebula77

Well, 'OOOOO' obviously sounds like a human voice, but I think most of his ballads have lines that are easy to sing and sound like maybe he came up with them while singing to the backing track. Just a theory there, but I know a lot of guitarists who do that.
RAI

Yes!
Someone else is thinking the same thing as I do....

This is the thing that I love about Steve's playing, and what sets him apart from everybody else. With all other guitarists, I just hear notes being played, and it gets boring. With Steve it's a whole other thing.
He really expresses the notes, makes them truly "sing".
It's very singable, and if you really want to sing along with his stuff, you have to get into it, using different vowels to match up with him...
Open mouth, closed mouth, "Ah", "Oh", "Eee", etc.
If you want all the nuances, that is.....

Or you can just call me crazy.

:lol:
dzdncnfsd

The solo in The Animal always reminds me of someone singing.
Mr. Canadian

Here is a quote from an established musician who will go nameless...
Vibrato Criminals ... so many each day, but maybe a special mention for Al DiMeola ... see, that's a Crime Scene right there. Should be a cordon around it with an officer of the law saying ... "move along please, there's nothing to hear here"

Just went over to Steve Vai's site as the little comment I made a couple of posts back was based on things I heard a few years back, so to be fair I thought I'd check it out some more. The clips for Tender Guitar Melodies aren't online yet .. shame as that would have been a great place to start listening for vibrato & vocalise.

Then I noticed a track called Whispering a Prayer, and ran that ... some whisper ... whimper more like it ... chock full of Unearned Emotion. Emotionally incontinent. Sounded like a dumb animal being abused. Utterly terrified of SILENCE & punctuation in all the soloing or melodic expositions I later went on to hear. All phrases topped & tailed with an unthinking rockist glissandi bluster. Even ballads. Just as I remembered him.

So it wasn't a good start but I listened to some more ... I realise there exists for want of a better term cultural divides in taste between e.g. youth & the aged, or any other number of groups of people, and so I can - without necessarily liking something - see to some extent the positive side of things. There is a lot of invention & fun & balls & technique in the music I checked out. He's like a Hollywood blockbuster.

I guess I see it as young mans music. And the world needs that ... but if only he'd learn when NOT to play. To breathe ... and know that every phrase or note you play does not need to be overblown or invested with so much weight of intent. It becomes emotionally unviable and palls... worse it can lead to emotional simulacrum. OK I'm not a kid, but kids like real emotion too.
Any thoughts? You think he's got a point? As a listener, I think he's off the mark...I would agree if I saw the truth in what he's saying, but to me Vai's music/playing has many vocal qualities to it (vibrato or not). And I'm looking at what he's saying with as much stone-cold objectivity as possible.
Big Bad Bill

I think Vai's lead playing is all vocal in quality. But it's not just vibrato that he utilises for this. For example he uses string 'schlurps' to mimic a singer noisily drawing breath after sustained, gradually bent note (The UltraZone 2:00-2:08 )! I was amazed when I first heard this! Now he adds wah to give an even more convincing vocal quality!

I think this is what makes Vai's lead so successful and so captivating.
Knyq

tender surrender.

and blue powder (the beginning at least)

erotic nightmares??
i mean.. what? who said that?
Jared2720

He uses the guitar to replicate human speech at the beginning of "The Audience is Listening."
RAI

Jared2720 wrote:He uses the guitar to replicate human speech at the beginning of "The Audience is Listening."
Human speech?
How about "So Happy" from Flex-able?
That is just plain scary.....
:shock:
Luan

Ehm yai yai?
SalamanderExcess

YA-YO-GAKK is the most obvious, cos the guuitar is actually imitating vocals...
Amano

RAI wrote:How about "So Happy" from Flex-able?
That is just plain scary.....
:shock:
Or The Jazz Discharge. :D
frostie

Just curious, who did say that stuff? wouldn't be YJM would it?