Music is not Competition!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
kpxmikey89

Music is not Competition!

#1 Post by kpxmikey89 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:42 pm

heres a phsychological lesson i learned for today,
music is not about musicans competeting with each other,
i know its a hard concept for alot of u guys out there,

and i know its a habitual, fixed thinking to compare ur self to other players,
but i think that competeing with only urself will improve ur self better n better

for instance, like.. Mr. Vai... many and many millions and billions of ppl say hes the best, and he might be, but theres that controversy with EVH,

but still, Mr. Vai is modest, with a humble attitude, and he says its ur attitude that matters like he mentioned in the Martian Love Secrets

but what happens is that its the audience thats comparing the musicians, i guess that alrite,
but im just saying a musician shouldnt always compare him/herself to other muscians, sure, it might feel awesome to be proved taht ur better than him/her, but thats not meant to be

perfect example: Battle of the Bands.... :roll: :x

im not trying to piss u guys off btw.. sorry if i did tho... u can stil forgive me right??

Wempukkah

#2 Post by Wempukkah » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:33 pm

No I think there's a good point in your message. I even learned a lesson from thius post! Thanks for enlightening me. :D

Zebula77

#3 Post by Zebula77 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:23 am

I agree, and anyway - how would you measure one player being better than another? What kind of tool would you use? It's all about taste and personal preferance isn't it?

My point is that you cannot say that one player is better than the other. Better technically perhaps, more creative, but not better. It's all up to subjectivity.

burnt out

#4 Post by burnt out » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:42 am

Without CRITICS there would be no QUALITY because there would be no standards.If "everything" is left up to "subjectivity" then nobody is questioning the "quality" and therefore no one is demanding higher standards.You're just maintaining the status quo!

If you want to make an omellette you have to break some eggs.

If you want higher standards you have to make a stink!

If one person makes a stink then nothing changes.It's status quo as usual.If alot of people make a stink then standards are raised.

I think we just saw that at the superbowl halftime show!

miker

#5 Post by miker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:24 am

Zebula77 wrote:...how would you measure one player being better than another? What kind of tool would you use?
Well... probably a metronome. And if you run into a tie... where the notes put out over some time interval are equivalent, then you should have a tie breaker -- which obviously be who do chicks dig the most (guys if the guitar player is a chick).

If it's a 50/50 split again... then the one with the most guitars wins.

Yeah. That's pretty much it...

Bluepill

#6 Post by Bluepill » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:57 am

Interesting!
I told my wife I thought about playing in the church band but I didnt want to discourage the other guitar player who is already there. Sounds arrogant when typed out. but - The guy has limited skillz and might take it wrong if I offer help or get up there and do my thang. I might just be his substitue when he is not there.
What would you guys do?

NeeWhan

#7 Post by NeeWhan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:39 am

Only a questioning ego would seek to compare, whether with others or yourself it helps your mind stay busy whilst overlooking what's obvious!

The mind loves 'chatter' especially in 'comparison' which by its very nature splits and divides and seperates and multiplies upon itself (importance)!

All is allowed however.

Here's a little quote from someone calling themselves Buddha ~ "Take yourself to no outside authority." Then he died, as these were his last words!

BULLSHIT if you like comparison and NOT if you don't! :lol:

Ariel

#8 Post by Ariel » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:08 am

Lol i hate it when people hate because i'm experienced, but there's nothing to to with it. Ex. The rythm in my band competites with me lol. He sometimes plays a stupid legato in front of me to piss me off lol. Why he does it? Because he wants to make me feel like "holy crap hes getting good i'd better learn him a lesson" lol

Like I said. He just keeps doing it lol, but i dont mind and theres nothing to to.

miker

#9 Post by miker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:50 am

Ariel wrote:Why he does it?...
Because he has low self-esteem and low confidence... and he tries to make himself feel better about himself by doing that to you.

burnt out

#10 Post by burnt out » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:26 pm

burnt out wrote:Without CRITICS there would be no QUALITY because there would be no standards.If "everything" is left up to "subjectivity" then nobody is questioning the "quality" and therefore no one is demanding higher standards.You're just maintaining the status quo!

If you want to make an omellette you have to break some eggs.

If you want higher standards you have to make a stink!

If one person makes a stink then nothing changes.It's status quo as usual.If alot of people make a stink then standards are raised.

I think we just saw that at the superbowl halftime show!
I think GOOD artists know what's shit and what isn't.But they can't go around pointing it out or they'll look arrogant.So it's up to us a music fans to do it for them.We the music consumers have the power to ensure the quality of popular music.You are what you eat.

Balex the Shizzle

#11 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:34 pm

i have a perfect example of this

shanks is a guitarist in my year at school
hes one of the best guitarists around
probably the best in school
hes really good

he never boasts, never scoffs at petty guitarists liek me struggling with relativly easy solos etc, hes a great guy (he even lent me his LP to do a gig wiht once when my guitars string snapped beforehand and i realised i had no spares)

he is a role model to me, guitarists who always compete annoy me, its all very well sometimes playing to impress, but not to annoy other guitarists

jmchambers5

Re: Music is not Competition!

#12 Post by jmchambers5 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:56 pm

kpxmikey89 wrote:
perfect example: Battle of the Bands.... :roll: :x
Well, music isn't about competition, but the music business is a competitive industy. There are only so many spaces for labels to sign bands, only so many spots on big shows or national tours, and only so many opportunities to get free time in a professionalo studio.

I hate battle of the bands because in my experience they are almost always rigged, but as much as music isn't about competition in an ideal world, there's a difference between say, the Foo Fighters and Seven Dollar Sox (local band that will never go anywhere because they suck).

burnt out

#13 Post by burnt out » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:07 pm

slow doesn't = bad and fast doesn't = good and vice-versa

and stuck up people suck

kpxmikey89

#14 Post by kpxmikey89 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:22 pm

Balex the Shizzle wrote:i have a perfect example of this

he never boasts, never scoffs at petty guitarists liek me struggling with relativly easy solos etc, hes a great guy (he even lent me his LP to do a gig wiht once when my guitars string snapped beforehand and i realised i had no spares)

he is a role model to me, guitarists who always compete annoy me, its all very well sometimes playing to impress, but not to annoy other guitarists
thats what a true guitarist should be, like Steve Vai, modest and with a very humble attitude

but thanks for all those who didnt take my post offensively :o

Zebula77

#15 Post by Zebula77 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:02 am

miker wrote:
Zebula77 wrote:...how would you measure one player being better than another? What kind of tool would you use?
Well... probably a metronome. And if you run into a tie... where the notes put out over some time interval are equivalent, then you should have a tie breaker -- which obviously be who do chicks dig the most (guys if the guitar player is a chick).

If it's a 50/50 split again... then the one with the most guitars wins.

Yeah. That's pretty much it...
Nope. That would only determine who is the faster. And speed has very little to do with actual talent.