Finger got cut by E string while playing

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Looosh

Hey there folks,
Here is what hapened.

The weaether was very hot in Paris a few days ago (and now it's raining... :( ). I was training on the Paganini's part of Eugene's trick bag.
While trying to increase speed on this slidy part, my hands were kind o' sweaty (the heavy weather did not help) and I ended cutting my forefinger on the E string !
The wound is small but very stingy and it's been two days i've been looking at my Jem 7vwh without being able to train because my hand is unconfortable.

Such a shame, i was at the same time working on a Juice cover i hope to post very soon.

Has it ever happened to you to cut a finger on a string ?
12 years of playing and it's my first time.
burnt out

wow that's weird

no it's never happened to me

must just be one of those freakish things
u2

Yeah did 2 months ago. I was doing the thing steve vai does u know in I Would Love To. The nice sliding part...did that and it skid through the skin. Ugh i know how u feel and sometimes , a plaster doesn't help much. :?
Mitch1616

i never realy cut them...i started playing in grade 10...so a little over a year ago...and i played until i got blisters....the next day i tried to play again and they started bleeding...hahaha it sucked
Ryan Layton
Banned

i used to cut my fingers quite often until i got caluses. now they are very very thick.

but dude, let me tell ya, i used to change strings and when i'd look closely at my b and e strings, they would be a redish color from my blood.
EVO 555

it happened to me only the string got me up inside the nail and i had to carry on the song i was playing because i was in the middle of a gig i was so embarassed

ouch :oops:
Ryan Layton
Banned

lol that reminds me of something that happened to me when i tried to play with my teeth.

i was just starting out and thought i could successfully pluck the strings with my teeth. i was doing pretty well until the high e string got stuck under my braces and then broke!
j.arledge

thats wierd i have never cut myself on any strings sliding bending screw ups notting. i didn't know people could be cut by strings. I have been playing for 3 years and play about 2 hours a day on average.
jemgirl

that`s a strange story , if you break a e-string hmmm that can happen , but cut youre finger by a string,hmm sounds weird, shit happens. :wink:

patricia
Jemfever

Shit like that really happens!
Last tuesday we had a rehearsal and it was really HOT!!!!I'm starting my solo whit a nice bend and my pick slips away,due to the heat and my sweatty fingers.So I'm trying to pluck the next note really hard with my finger!What happens: i hit the string,the string slips under my nail and cuts the side of my finger!It did hurt,but the most annoying thing was that the note sounded treally shitty!!!It was really embarrassing!But thats life! :D
j.arledge

now i have had strings go under my finger nails, but they never cut me or anything, it just feels really weird and sounds like crap.
summer_sky

dumb question - are guitar strings metal or nylon?

i tried to play guitar many years ago, and i remember the strings bite into my fingertips and hurt. i can well imagine cutting my fingers on guitar strings. i'm sure, though, that developing callouses over time helps with this problem.
j.arledge

some acoustic guitars have nylon strings but all electrics have metal.

what gauage strings where the rest of you using when you go cut.

i have always used 10 s either standard or thin thick.
Mitch1616

i use GHS 9 BOOMERS
i recently bought d'Addario 13s to try out on my shity guitar since i have never played an electric with strings any bigger then 10s
jemgirl

ernie ball 011 will do fine, they won`t cut my fingers. 8)