FAST PICKING!?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
ZERO

Hi ive been playing for four years and i find fast picking near on impossible :oops:
even stuff like early metalica and stuff the riffs....i just cant do it at all. :(
its really frustrating.....the only way i can do it is if i hold the pick in a really stupid way.
help please
jemgirl

oeps :oops:
summer_sky

so, Mod777....

how do you hold your pick?
or, did i miss that bit of info as i scanned through your leads? :wink: lol
jemgirl

oh, its a matter of feeling summer, to hold your`e plectrum (pic) is away of feeling ,what is comfortble for me is maybe not for somebody els :wink:

patricia
The Extremist

Try learning alternating picking.

Also, the fast picking in Early Metallica is called "Chugging"

To chug really fast, you just got to keep at it. But its all in the Wrist. Watch Megadeth's live DVD called "Rude Awakening"

Watch Dave Mustaine at the start of She-Wolf. He hardly moves, thats cause he does it with the slight move of his Wrist.
tim_knox

yah i was always into playing like classic rock stuff and some vai and ej etc, then when i went to school my roomate listened to a lot and played a lot of metallica nd pantera soo he was great at chugging, and i couldn't do it for shit. soo i just kept trying it and trying it and i can get it pretty good now!!!
The Extremist

Well, if you want people to aspire to when you want to chug fast, look at:

John Schafer of Iced Earth, this guy is lightning fast.

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, Fastest about.
eric_921
Newcomer

well i like the way Vai plays the guitar is like a wizard making his magic comes out with those dimarzio and jem model i think that the arent a best way to hold ur pick to play but there are alot of wrong ways so make the one most confortable to you and remember it need top be clean and fast no fast and very distortined
Kevan

eric_921 wrote:well i like the way Vai plays the guitar is like a wizard making his magic comes out with those dimarzio and jem model i think that the arent a best way to hold ur pick to play but there are alot of wrong ways so make the one most confortable to you and remember it need top be clean and fast no fast and very distortined
....wow.....
StoleN GuitaR

Kevan wrote:
eric_921 wrote:well i like the way Vai plays the guitar is like a wizard making his magic comes out with those dimarzio and jem model i think that the arent a best way to hold ur pick to play but there are alot of wrong ways so make the one most confortable to you and remember it need top be clean and fast no fast and very distortined
....wow.....
:shock: :roll: :?: :!: :?: :!:

ya? lol what??
Mitch1616

i have many different picking styles depending on what im playing.....for example, when i strum, i have very little of my thumb on the pick. when i solo i have my thumb covering almost the whole pick to make artificial/pinch harmonics easily accessed, and also, faster play
tim_knox

yah me too i change my hand quite often and when i do the "chugging" i tighten my grip so i dont lose the pick while im palm muting and alt. picking fast.
Mr_Guitarman

I alway found that the least amount of movement when picking is most effective wat to play fast. tighten up your wrists movement and play lightly don't use extra musceuls that arn't needed to perform the action. What kind of picks do you use? If you are using thin picks it will cause problems becuase thin picks give alittle when you play cuasing a delay time or even no picked note at all. When you pick you want to use a heavy pick head lightly and show s little pick as you can just the tip. also when I play i use a slight angle in my picking so that I sort of use the edge of the pick(a very slighty angle) this allows me to pick softer and still have notes sound. Remember to use alternating picking, try differnt things, but never play hard playing softer allows you to have less wasted movement and keep from causing any strain to your wrist, elbow, or forearms. One thing that might help is to watch videos of great pickers and find what they have in common i suggest watching Yngwie pick and you will see what I mean.
NeeWhan

ZERO wrote:.....the only way i can do it is if i hold the pick in a really stupid way.
help please
Define - really stupid way?

Label the way you do what it is you think you can't with 'stupid' if you so choose.

Does that mean then, that you can (but have labelled it 'stupid') or, you can't?

Whatever label/name/judgement you give to anything you're already doing
has nothing to do with the fact that: It's simply been done any~way!

You are already what you are 'trying' to become, right now.

Congratulations. :) Look how far you have come.

You've done it. End of story.

Now, just 'rest' in this 'knowing'.

Maybe(?) :lol: