palm muting solos

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
AzzA668
Newcomer

do you guys on here palm mute your solos
or do you play them normally.i find if i dont palm mute
my solos i get loads of string noise and it makes me sound sloppy.
is there any way to stop this without muting the strings
because muting makes the notes flat and it doesent sound as good.
i guess i could play my solos like marty friedman he plays with no palm muting.does anyone have any advice on here i dont know if i should palm mute all the time or play open more.
tim_knox

ummm if you palm mute and still want to get the sharpness of not palm muting than you might just need better pickups or a harsher distortion so when you palm mute it is still clear and sharp. Or you can not palm mute like a lot of people do and just get mor accurate with you fingering.

What do you mean when you say "loads of string noise" do you mean your fingers are hitting other strings or is it just your feedback? I dont think many people palm mute their whole solos. Palm muting is used occasionally and usually just on the lower strings.
badhorsie551

Well if you want to clean up your overall sound make sure you are muting the strings you ARENT playing with both your right and left hands. You will probably have to start off playing very very slow to get the technique down at first then gradually build up to the tempo desired.
The Prez

What I do is use my thumb, especially when doing a lot of string skipping, that and practice will make it cleaner.
AzzA668
Newcomer

thanks what i mean is during string skipping it sounds like i am pulling off from a note when i take my finger away.i have been working on this for a while and i have sorted it out my using a little palm muting as i take my fingers away to kill the noise then stop palm muting as i move into a new position.this seems to work fine.
tim_knox

Yah that is great, i am also using my fretting hand a lot to mute. If you can find time to lay a finger down behind the note that always helps or when you take your finger off the string keep it there and touch the string to mute it, like when you do sweeps. Have fun!!
AzzA668
Newcomer

thanks dude i will try that style aswell i am always looking for ways to clean up my soloing sound so thanks alot
littleblackdots
Newcomer

I reserve palm muting with my pickign hand for certain parts for effect. Never for the whole solo. Mistly on the lower strings. I like the tone that comes out playing like this...
littleblackdots
Newcomer

I reserve palm muting with my pickign hand for certain parts for effect. Never for the whole solo. Mistly on the lower strings. I like the tone that comes out playing like this...