how fast can you play

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
spcastlemagic

#151 Post by spcastlemagic » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:47 pm

brainpolice wrote:Hand me two drums sticks, and i'll do a roll on the strings faster then any of you can pick or tap (half joke, half not). But......alas......it doesn't matter!
You should actually experiment with this! Do one handed rolls with your right hand while holding chord shapes with your left and see what happens :wink:

brainpolice

#152 Post by brainpolice » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:31 pm

I've thought about it. No, i've tried it a few times. It CAN be cool. Maybe i should work on it into an official technique hehe.

b2

#153 Post by b2 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:32 pm

Drum sticks on the guitar.. get me to think about the song "Chopstick Boogie" on Mathias Eklundh latest record "Freak Guitar, The Road Less Traveled".
A cool song with some drum sticks on the guitar strings.
http://www.freakguitar.com/

Since it is maybe not so easy to get this new Mathias Eklundh cd all around
the world, I give you a 30 seconds sample of the begining here.
This is in mono also so a hope Mathias will just be glad for this little
teaser :wink:
http://homefree.sensewave.com/~s183097/Mathias.mp3
I have the CD and it is excellent. Many funny things like this one.

shredder69
Newcomer

drumstick strumming...

#154 Post by shredder69 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:37 pm

i had my fair share of playing an acoustic instrument last year at a violin clinic when i was messing around in a "duel" i guess you could have called...and it had come to my tunr to respond and i quickly picked up a nearby drumstick from my friend (the drummer...obviousley) and played orange blossom special with a drumstick...welll...there is a part in that song where the speed increases considerably... well i went to speed up, and i hit the final four string double stop...(this is on a violin... remember?) and all four of my strings snapped off....my e-string popped off into my face... i lost the duel and i now have a thin hairline scar running sown the right side of my face...needless to say...i am not ging to be playing with a drumstick...who thought that up anyway?

johny

#155 Post by johny » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:30 am

I can play faster than all of you... Muuahahahaaaa :twisted:

jmchambers5

#156 Post by jmchambers5 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:03 pm

On A Good day I can squeeze out good solid sixteenth notes at 130 bpm, but I'm a bass player, so I'm sure you all have me beat.

dzdncnfsd

#157 Post by dzdncnfsd » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:12 pm

Guitar one magazine says shredding begins at sixteenths at 160 bpm. What do u guys think of that? just curious

brainpolice

#158 Post by brainpolice » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:34 pm

"Guitar one magazine says shredding begins at sixteenths at 160 bpm. What do u guys think of that? just curious"

That's around the beginning of fast i'd say, and it could get even faster, but: who cares? does it really matter? how about what notes they actually hit and what their phrasing is like? their dynamics? their control of their instrument? their nuances? etc.

Mr_Guitarman

#159 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:02 am

dzdncnfsd wrote:Guitar one magazine says shredding begins at sixteenths at 160 bpm. What do u guys think of that? just curious
I used to be a big shredder back in the day I mean the sterotyped kind mindless scale runs flashy speed liks and nothing slower then 16th notes. i was an idiot. One day I told everyone I wasn't going to shred anymore. everyone laughed at me they thought i was making a joke or something eveyone told me i was really good at shreding why stop i could be the next Yngwie, but I wanted to learn to express myself. For months i wouldn't shred a lick. i finally develope some taste and style. The sad part is I still get acused of shreding It's ridiculuos I will be jamming with some friends and pull of 4 16th notes at 140 and it's shreding. if i play 8th notes at 240 it's shreding. If a friend of mine who never became a shreder plays 16th notes at 160 it isn't shreding. To be honest some people can play at rediculous speeds without it considered being shred while others who even look that way are shreding.

NeeWhan

#160 Post by NeeWhan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:28 am

My my, this is a very long thread isn't it, I wonder how long it'll continue and at what rate of speed therein?

How many different variations of words and phrases (scales) will be used untill the answer is obtained somewhere in the future?

A very common theme, do you recognise 'it'?

Recuring on this forum are the whens/hows/whats/whys etc. etc. etc.

But WHOM is all of this applicable to?

Whenever a sound comes through, it might be pissed off or gratefull or horny and all you can do is be a witness to that happening.

AGAIN, WHOM is it applicable to whatever speed is played?

Industry uses mechanisms to measure productivity OK!

Your 'industriousness' (being mechanical) does not emote anything.

However, your simple awareness (before identification with a name) DOES!

Don't ask me what speed I typed these words as I was not aware of anything other than awareness of what happened during the typing, sorry! :lol:

precario

#161 Post by precario » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:50 am

Since I have a guitar and a watch, I can count how fast I am (but it isn't much specific, because I play a lick, or scale if you prefer, and I see how much time passed) I did that and I saw that I can play 17 or 18 notes a second, not too fast but nothing slow :wink:

Well, I'm just answering the question that Lobba made.
Last edited by precario on Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leco
Newcomer

#162 Post by Leco » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:26 pm

It's ridiculous...NOone can play clean 42 notes per second...Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, John Petrucci, if they play the fastest they can alt pick 16th at 260bpm very clean.

16th at 260bpm - around 17 notes per second

Mr_Guitarman

#163 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:54 am

I can play 64 note per second blind folded and I can play 128 notes per second If the right girl passes by.

The Prez

#164 Post by The Prez » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:31 pm

I notice everyone asks the 'whos fastest' but never 'who writes the best songs'

brainpolice

#165 Post by brainpolice » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Or who is the most creative. Or who has the strongest personna. lol.
Last edited by brainpolice on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.