Learning different styles.

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
guitarmattms

Hi, everyone.

I'm interested in learing some new styles. I've been mostly just rock/classical and Jazz. Now, I would like to get into some different styles like Irish-Celtic/ Native American/oreintal and stuff like the song Bangkok -I want Indian but I'm prob wrong.

Does anyone know where I can go find songs in this style and learn about the theory behind these different styles.

Thanks.
Stephen Brown

The library.
boswell

Plenty of music books on Amazon
Stephen Brown

Second hand cd shops are always a blast in the, out there zone. Jazz, soul, Mo-town & other great sound source stuff.
Pif

Just a thought : the Guitar Atlas series is nice. It gives you an insight about the context and some specifics of each style. It's a good first step IMHO.

And then you realize you need one or two more lifetimes :)
guitarmattms

Pif wrote:Just a thought : the Guitar Atlas series is nice. It gives you an insight about the context and some specifics of each style. It's a good first step IMHO.

And then you realize you need one or two more lifetimes :)

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Maybe I should quit my job and just practice my guitar full time.
Hmm, maybe I can get really good and then everyone can pay me to play. :roll: Like that will ever happen for me.

Thanks for the info pif.

Where I work they have this little cd rack and it's like the rain forest sounds, nature type cd's but included are some cd's with the celtic, native american music. I might check them out too.
honeybadger

youtube :D
Big Bad Bill

This may be just the thing you're looking for

http://www.underthegroove.com/exotica.htm

I have the straight Jam tracks and they are superb in every way and I'm thinking of buying the above too.