Tone

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
GYiakoumi

Ok, so I was on the bus with someone I know who plays guitar anyway, we got arguing about tone.

How do you convince someone that tone comes from the fingers? because he isn't convinced ~_~
Breeder

break their fingers and then ask them nicely to play something
notavirtuoso

Desert_Runner

But would Joe still get his trademark "infinite sustain" effect with that guitar?
Jeries

there are 2 examples that proved this to me.

Eric Clapton
and EVH

Clapton no matter if its through a marshall or a fender playing a gibson or a fender- just sounds like clapton

EVH is the same too
Ricardo

A lot of it IS the fingers, but there are other factors. It is not only one thing. Strings, pickups, instrument, the pick gage, amps, PA, obviously any effects or signal processing, etc. It is a chain, and ultimately you change any of them and you can end up with a different result. Since you can't use someone elses fingers, it becomes easy to say that is THE MAIN FACTOR, but just listen to any player that has made multiple recordings with different gear, and for sure you can hear differences in tone. When it comes to COPYING someone's tone, well, you won't get it without those fingers of course! Some players don't sound like "themselves" on say an acoustic guitar though.

Ricardo
Hub

notavirtuoso wrote:Have him watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts
"That was a little painful on this one" :D
Moderator777

I find as I mature as a guitar player I have no problem playing through someone else's gear where 3 years ago I would have a problem with it. I am a bit picky about humbucker vs. single coil more than amp setup or effects with the type of songs I play. That Satriani video just proves the point about where the heart of the tone comes from. Now I just carry around a DS1 and feel very comfortable plugging into whatever is available.

Good post.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
RAI

Hub wrote: "That was a little painful on this one" :D
Classic!!!!!
Svelt Pen

Desert_Runner wrote:But would Joe still get his trademark "infinite sustain" effect with that guitar?
If he cranked the amp right up, I would think so.
Pif

GYiakoumi wrote:Ok, so I was on the bus with someone I know who plays guitar anyway, we got arguing about tone.

How do you convince someone that tone comes from the fingers? because he isn't convinced ~_~
Just invite a lot of incredibly famous guitar players to play on his shitty setup.

Or : have him play an incredibly famous guitar setup and sound like, well, himself.

Short of that, I don't see how you'll *convince* him, the point has been quite documented already.
GYiakoumi

I think it might be important to point out that he is an acoustic/indie player besides fender strat boy,
and he also thinks Steve is shit at guitar musically and that he only relys on speed... lmao I wanted to hit him.

I guess it's like religeon, if you don't want to believe, you never will.
Breeder

GYiakoumi wrote: and he also thinks Steve is shit at guitar musically and that he only relys on speed...
Those kind of people are just plain ignorant, he probably never heard Steve properly...

When someone says crap like that to me, I usually take out my Ipod and make them listen to flexable or sound theories version of attitude song
GYiakoumi

Breeder wrote:
GYiakoumi wrote: and he also thinks Steve is shit at guitar musically and that he only relys on speed...
Those kind of people are just plain ignorant, he probably never heard Steve properly...

When someone says crap like that to me, I usually take out my Ipod and make them listen to flexable or sound theories version of attitude song
yeah lol I offered but he said he didn't want to listen to it. we both get off at the same bus stop and I even offered to prove it to him, my house was litterally 2 minutes away, but he wasn't interested. LOL
Desert_Runner

GYiakoumi wrote:and he also thinks Steve is shit at guitar musically and that he only relys on speed...
Shun the non-believer!