What can I do to keep my chops up?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

What can I do to keep my chops up?

#1 Post by 27 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm going to be leaving on a two year mission for my church in a few months and I probably won't be able to pick up a guitar the whole time. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping up my chops while I'm away.

Big Bad Bill

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Without a guitar? That could be difficult. Mental rehearsal has been shown to be a useful tool in improving technique, but this is a adjunct to practice rather than instead of.

You could buy yourself a Little Fretty to keep your fretting fingers limber, but playing guitar is so much more than this. How about buying a Steinberger?

#3 Post by 27 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Can't have a Steinberger. I don't think I'll be allowed to own a guitar while I'm gone.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:39 am

27 wrote:Can't have a Steinberger. I don't think I'll be allowed to own a guitar while I'm gone.
Dare I ask, why? Perhaps I daren't.

NantucketSleighrider

#5 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:20 am

You could always opt for something small like a ukulele. You could keep it in your bag with you, nice and tiny. It would be something that you could use to keep up important guitar related skills, like picking and fretting.

guyver_dio

#6 Post by guyver_dio » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:02 am

Along the lines of the ukulele. Don't they make really small 6 string guitars around that size for kids and stuff? Probably be the go, I'd assume the strings would have to last you 2 years? lol, go easy. If all else fails you'll just have to refresh your memory on a regular basis by trying to imagine the positions and shapes and stuff, you'd have to really give it some deep thought. I play almost everyday and sometimes I go blank lol.

Big Bad Bill

#7 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:42 am

I get the impression that 27 is actually 'not allowed' to have an instrument where he's going, rather than the size issues etc. I could be wrong-I sincerely hope I am.

another virtuoso

#8 Post by another virtuoso » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:53 pm

well if it is just size that is the problem, these little "backpack acoustics" are pretty rad.

Zebula77

#9 Post by Zebula77 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:01 am

Quit the church! How come you can't bring a guitar along?

RAI

#10 Post by RAI » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:29 am

LDS, right?

Well, you can always find things that will keep your fingers busy and working. How about making a simple device (could be a piece of wood) with strings stretched between nails. This would allow you to work on your picking. Add one of those grip-thingies, and your set...

#11 Post by 27 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think the problem the church has with owning a guitar while I'm on my mission is that they want missionaries entire focus being on the reasons they're there and on giving service, not on practicing. Probably not much I can do, huh? Oh well. I guess I'll just have to try best to get back to the level I was when I left when I get back.

ShawShred

#12 Post by ShawShred » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Living in utah, once I turned the age of 19 my entire community expected me to serve a mission.

Frankly, a mission wasn't for me and the time I've been home rather than in the mission field, I have progressed more musically than ever before, and can't imagine having spent this time away from my instrument, and books. People around town always tell me that upon returning from a mission, I would find studying and playing the guitar and all the things I loved to do much easier, rather than more difficult having put them on the shelf for 2 years. So maybe, based upon this logic, you will magically ( I repeat magically) be a better guitar player by the time you return home.

(Maybe this top part of my response should be omitted since it's only slightly on topic?)

Some missions allow acoustic guitars I believe, maybe yours will?
If not, I'm sure you will be afforded opportunities to play the piano during your mission, and you should definitely seize these opportunities. Studying piano, and harmony will certainly improve your overall musical thinking and guitar playing.

ClarkyNZ

#13 Post by ClarkyNZ » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Maybe at present you have some bad habits in your playing? A good break will allow you to focus on what you want to achieve when you get back, so that you can progress your playing with a relatively clean slate. That my friend, would be a nice gift.

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:45 am

27 wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone. I think the problem the church has with owning a guitar while I'm on my mission is that they want missionaries entire focus being on the reasons they're there and on giving service, not on practicing. Probably not much I can do, huh? Oh well. I guess I'll just have to try best to get back to the level I was when I left when I get back.
Could you use the guitar as a means of worship and spreading the 'Word'? You know, all that 'happy clappy' stuff which is very popular in Churches over here. This way you'd be practicing whilst praying! I'm sure your God knows how serious you are about him without you having to be miserable without your guitar. Why would he deprive you of this innocent pleasure. Just don't play any Slayer!

pagliai

#15 Post by pagliai » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:02 am

maybe you can use the gripmaster?but without guitar.....well.....it is a mess,it is not possible in my opinion.