The Natural Approach

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Big Bad Bill

The Natural Approach

#1 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:20 am

I've seen a few adverts for this guitar 'method' and was interested in its, frankly, unlikely claims. There were no details at all about how it worked or what was involved so I emailed the author to ask if he could give me a hint of how it works and perhaps some examples. This is his reply:

Dear Anil,

The Natural Approach shows you how to put the neck into one unit of sound.No need to memorize scales or chord shapes that break up the neck making impossible to improvise with 100% creativity.

I am not going to explain how this is done as it is properly explained in
the program.

The Natural Approach does all I say in my ads.

The testimonials were given freely - no money was paid.

There is no memorization what so ever in the Natural Approach.

Thank you for your interest,

Mike Caruso

I think this speaks for itself. Caveat emptor!

leigh01

#2 Post by leigh01 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:06 am

I used to take this approach, not through some crappy book though. I used to just bomb up and down the neck using my ears. It looked impressive and sounded impressive, but really it was just musical nonsence. but then I learnt scales and more chords etc. then combined this sort of thing with that so called "The Natural Approach" and i feel like im a better player now through slowly learning the proper way.(RGT grades. and using musical methods)

lydian2000

Re: The Natural Approach

#3 Post by lydian2000 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:05 am

[quote="Big Bad Bill"]

Dear Anil,

The Natural Approach shows you how to put the neck into one unit of sound.No need to memorize scales or chord shapes that break up the neck making impossible to improvise with 100% creativity.

I am not going to explain how this is done as it is properly explained in
the program.

The Natural Approach does all I say in my ads.

The testimonials were given freely - no money was paid.

There is no memorization what so ever in the Natural Approach.

Thank you for your interest,

Mike Caruso

So Careful And Misleading...

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:21 am

leigh01 wrote:I used to take this approach, not through some crappy book though.
Is this what Caruso's natural approach actually is? How did you find out as he seems very reluctant to tell a potential customer (me) about it!

leigh01

#5 Post by leigh01 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:09 am

Well check out here: http://www.xomreviews.com/thenaturalapproach.com

Then i quote
"Description: IMPROVISE effortlessly in all styles. Close your eyes and play what you hear. No memorization! No Boxes, No Shapes. Guitar lessons video instruction method."

then, "Close your eyes and play what you hear."
thats the only way to play guitar without any hard work and effort lol.
hes just trying to sell what we can do naturally, and those guitar lesson video instructions are just package fillers, just to make it look like youve got somthing for your money. thats also why i think its called the natural approach.
also thats why he was reluctant to tell you anything, its basically Bull. it may inspire you for a week, but then it will be thrown in the corner with the rest of the books and cds lol

Anywayz BBB, your not considering buying this package are you?
your taking RGT grades right?
I seriously wouldnt waste my money on it :)

Of course I could be completly wrong about it, I only pieced it all together through the little fact there is.

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:39 pm

Oh I see. Bull pooh indeed!

Well I was thinking about buying it, because I'm open to any new ideas if they seen to have some apparent logic behind them. Usually there's something useful in any approach, but Curuso's reluctance to say anything in the advert started alarm bells ringing so I emailed him.

leigh01

#7 Post by leigh01 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:Oh I see. Bull pooh indeed!

Well I was thinking about buying it, because I'm open to any new ideas if they seen to have some apparent logic behind them. Usually there's something useful in any approach, but Curuso's reluctance to say anything in the advert started alarm bells ringing so I emailed him.
Lol. just follow your ears :)
wont cost you a penny :P
I know what you mean I sometimes take an interest in some of these, "secrets to guitar playing" books and money making schemes lol.
Im in one of those inspiration ruts atm, and Ive been looking out for any of these great books and stuff. the only one I have found which I thought was any good, was that guthrie govan "guitar techniques" or somthing.
I think you mentioned that somewhere on the forum. but yea, I played through the first book, thought a bit basic but still stuff to learn, then the 2nd I thought was pretty useless imo. just study steve vais playing for a year or so, and youll get a better outlook lol.

So BBB, you've tried out lot of books right?
what ones would you recommened for mastering more advance stuff?
Ive played with the modes for about 2years, and am pretty bored of them now. so what would you recommened?
:)

Big Bad Bill

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:50 am

leigh01 wrote:So BBB, you've tried out lot of books right?
I've got loads of the damn things. I love books and a lot of my money goes on them-my wife hates this hobby of mine! Amazon know my personally!
leigh01 wrote:what ones would you recommened for mastering more advance stuff?
Well, my problem is that I get bored easily and tend to not use them in the way I really should. But there are a few I really like:
'The Ultimate Guitar Workout Book - Tablature Exercises for Guitarists' www.triplets.com Its a series of mechanical exercises but they really do help. Also, it was this book that made the penny drop for me regarding the modes-nothing magical, they just used a form of words and diagrams etc that made complete sense for me.

I love Tom Kolb's 'Music Theory for Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask'-again a writing style I find comfortable and lucid. I like everything he does, actually.

Finally a computer programme' Absolute Fretboard Trainer Professional' It helped me memorize the fretboard and this skill alone has just opened the guitar up to me. If I had to recommend one skill, it'd be this ability.

leigh01 wrote:Ive played with the modes for about 2years, and am pretty bored of them now. so what would you recommened?
:)
I'd say, get yourself some good backing tracks and get back into improvising over straight-ahead major/minor harmonies-its the bread and butter of playing, being good at it marks you out as a good player, but most of us think of it as being to simple.

-SkiZ-

#9 Post by -SkiZ- » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 pm

write in one damn color!! :P

interesting topic though, for what i could read before going crazy with so many colors

teokiatuan

#10 Post by teokiatuan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:

Finally a computer programme' Absolute Fretboard Trainer Professional' It helped me memorize the fretboard and this skill alone has just opened the guitar up to me. If I had to recommend one skill, it'd be this ability.

erm..you mean like this?
http://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=129

man i hate colours.

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:43 am

randomnessman wrote:erm..you mean like this?
http://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=129
Well, like this one, actually http://www.absolutefretboard.com/
randomnessman wrote:man i hate colours.
What a dull life you must have without colours.

boswell

#12 Post by boswell » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:47 am

Bill is just a salesmans dream.........he'll buy anything, being a good friend I've resisted the urge to sell him stuff.

Big Bad Bill

#13 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:02 am

boswell wrote:Bill is just a salesmans dream.........he'll buy anything, being a good friend I've resisted the urge to sell him stuff.
I 'open' to new ideas and products, boswell, but that doesn't mean I disengage my faculties of critical analysis when investigating them.

Which reminds me, I've just ordered some fingerboard snake oil-it makes one play faster, slimmer (with no diet or exercise) and more attractive to women. What will they come up with next.........?

boswell

#14 Post by boswell » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:24 am

8)

Incestuous_Monk

#15 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:48 pm

I've got some magic beans for sale BBB if you're interested?! Maybe we could do a deal for the Brooklyn Bridge too?? ;)

Steve :)