Where To Go Next...

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
xDrizZt
Newcomer

Where To Go Next...

#1 Post by xDrizZt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:38 am

I've been playing guitar for about half a year now, and I'm taught by an awesome instructor. Two months in I was learning some really nice SRV and 4 months in I was learning For The Love of God.

I'm not bragging. So please don't take it that way, I just expand very quickly and learn a lot in a small amount of time, I just don't know where to go next.

There are always songs to learn, of course I know that, but I find myself with minimal knowledge of music theory, etc.

I'm going to know the fretboard up and down, backwards and frontwards someday,but I need to know the best way of going about that.

I want to learn how to write music, that isn't just attained by 'feeling' around the guitar to find things that sound good--like I've done in the past. I want to write logically arranged music that has the soul and passion that I FEEL. I can hear these songs in my head, but my method of writing it on paper, then playing it. It's extreeemely frustrating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically, I need to understand the guitar better.
My Instructor said that I'm phenomonal for the amount of time that I've been playing, but the pursuit of learning just songs has stunted my growth in theory.

I need to know more...how?
I'm dying here, the little black dots in my mind are clouded.
How do I unshroud them?

EDIT:
I will not be able to post back over the next few days, so please leave advice even if I do not reply back.
Thanks... a lot.

Guitaruss

#2 Post by Guitaruss » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:17 am

Get Guthrie Govan's book Creative guitar 1 (comes with audio CD),when you've learnt all that stuff get Creative guitar 2 - Advanced techniques (also with CD) this second book should keep you busy for a VERY long time believe me :wink:

P.S. DONT go straight for book 2 !!

prman

#3 Post by prman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:53 am

Being a guitar instructor myself, I have always wondered about those instructors who teach their students only songs. Learning songs is of course important but I feel that by doing only that the instructor let`s himself get away easy. What use has a student of all the licks and techniques if he can apply them only on a certain songs? Like "xDrizZt" has noticed, theory is the answer.

"xDrizZt", tell your guitar instructor to teach you theory. When you progress theorywise tell him to analyse the material/songs you learn theoretically. That way you`ll learn to connect all those abstract theoretical concepts to practice and finally learning theory has a purpose.

Rock on, xDrizZt! 8)

leigh01

#4 Post by leigh01 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 am

Guitaruss wrote:Get Guthrie Govan's book Creative guitar 1 (comes with audio CD),when you've learnt all that stuff get Creative guitar 2 - Advanced techniques (also with CD) this second book should keep you busy for a VERY long time believe me :wink:

P.S. DONT go straight for book 2 !!
I recently purchased both books, but the second one i thought was pretty crap. like just study steve vai for a couple of years, and thats that book in a nutshell. the first one was kick ass though. certainly make me polish up on my pentatonics. (I got too involved in the modes and ignored the pentatonics.)

Stevieo
Newcomer

progress

#5 Post by Stevieo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:37 am

Develop your ear and learn about intervals. Find out how chords are constructed. Ask about the harmonised scale. Learn how to read rhythms by internalising them off the page. (Modern Reading Text, by Louis Bellson) Even without standard notation I think it's essential to be able to write down rhythms.

xDrizZt
Newcomer

#6 Post by xDrizZt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 pm

prman wrote:Being a guitar instructor myself, I have always wondered about those instructors who teach their students only songs. Learning songs is of course important but I feel that by doing only that the instructor let`s himself get away easy. What use has a student of all the licks and techniques if he can apply them only on a certain songs? Like "xDrizZt" has noticed, theory is the answer.

"xDrizZt", tell your guitar instructor to teach you theory. When you progress theorywise tell him to analyse the material/songs you learn theoretically. That way you`ll learn to connect all those abstract theoretical concepts to practice and finally learning theory has a purpose.

Rock on, xDrizZt! 8)
Thanks!

I've thought about it and I've actually stopped going to my instructor, though.

He actually didn't seem that great.
So now another question.

I'm going to learn to read music because, well, I figure that I need to. :oops:

Are there any good books for me to exercise the ability to memorize the notes, etc.

The new instructor is a music teacher at one of the local schools, he is also going to teach me to sing a bit.
also, is this a good or bad idea?

precario

#7 Post by precario » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:40 pm

I believe that everything that makes you grow, musically or not, is a good idea :wink: