exhausted after practicing 8 hrs:(

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Shade

#31 Post by Shade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:58 pm

*Milo* wrote:Well... well... After reading all messages, I feel like I sould give up playing guitar. I'm struggling everyday to motivate myself in order to play guitar. At the moment I play 3 to 4 times a week, usually one hour per practice session. For that one hour, I'm completely focused on what I want to achieve on that day; I know that my practice routine is all about quality. But I still think that I don't play as much as I should. What do you think?

I admit that it's more comfortable to come home after work and relax in front of your TV, and very often I just don't have enough time (I know what you're thinking... if you love your guitar then get the time... you're probably right) but playing guitar is exhausting for me and I wish I'd have a more relaxing hobby. That's the shattering truth :cry:
NO NO NO!!!

Hear me out.

Some will tell you to practice lots and lots. And yeah, you'll get good if you practice, but there's more to it than that, or rather I think that there is an underlying cause behind it. You have to *enjoy* what you're doing, and know why you're doing it. And for one simple reason. If you enjoy it, you will practice. The actual practice might not always be fun, and at times will probably be frustrating. And everyone has dry-spells. But often times I've gotten frustrated because the amount of practice I will put into something doesn't seem to yield proportional results. But I never let this lead to me believing that it is all just a waste of time. Focused practice is never a bad thing! Even if you don't accomplish what you set out to do, the least you would have improved is self discipline and the increased your mental capacity to persevere. And that is very value-able on the long run.

But, many times, good focused practice will yeild(in the proper time) the desired results. The simple process of seeing your own improvement is so rewarding, and if you don't find enjoyment from that. Then how much you improve will be up to how stubborn you are.

I mean, if someone wants to get better, then they will find satisfaction from getting better, and hopefully enjoy the process because the journey is as important as the goals that one sets.

Just set goals that are realistic for your situation. Unless you're ultimate dream is to become a guitar-shreddy/virtuoso/uber l33t instrumental musician who goes on world tours, then don't sweat it if you're not playing ridiculess hours a day. lets be honest, just being good at your instrument will not fullfill that dream on it's own. It takes more than that, and yeah, people like Vai seemed to get stuck in the right place at the right time(luck/providence/fate, whatever you wanna call it.) But even he was once just picking up a guitar, completely clueless and perhaps intimidated by all the strings and frets. But anyways...

Just remember, you don't have to become a virtuoso to be considered competent or to be happy with playing the guitar.

MatJB

#32 Post by MatJB » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:22 am

Shade wrote: Unless you're ultimate dream is to become a guitar-shreddy/virtuoso/uber l33t instrumental musician who goes on world tours
That's my ultimate goal :lol:

But yes, I agree, exhaustive practicing for several hours can be frustrating and boring. Just move at your own pace, regardless of how much time others say they spend. After all, music isn't a competition. :wink:

Masi

#33 Post by Masi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Shade has a point. Quite many in fact...

*Milo*
Newcomer

#34 Post by *Milo* » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks for your tips Shade, they really helped a lot. I hope I will find a regular practice routine and I'm looking forward to the next Guitar Techniques magazine where they will feature a practice schedule.

I noticed that I don't play regularly because I don't know when to play. Right after work I want to relax, after dinner I am tired.

Could you all mention some motivation tips that work for you if you're having a hard time? Some things that work for me are:

*watching your favourite guitarist on DVD
*playing in front of a mirror
*going to gigs

jasminepetrucci
Newcomer

#35 Post by jasminepetrucci » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Milo,while you're having dinner drink green tea(that helps me tremendously),so that way you won't be tired after dinner.

And yeah,never give up guitar.

As far as inspiration goes,for me the best thing is going to see my favourite guitarist's show (Vai,Satch,Petrucci).
Nothing can beat that.
I only wish they would play more often in my country(I'm from Europe).
Or if Icould live in L.A. 8)

Another thing that inspires me so much is having a teacher who is strict with his lessons but at the same time is an INCREDIBLE guitar player.
And just listening to him makes me wanna practice zillion hours a day.

markno999

#36 Post by markno999 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Music is more mental than physical. Don't be discouraged in your own playing because someone says they practice 12 hours a day. If you practice one hour a day or one hour every other day, you can still get incredibly good if you learn some theory behind it.

Look at music like a language, if learned a bunch of foreign words and practiced saying them really fast, you would be essentially be speaking gibberish, which is what a lot of guitar players do when they focus exclusively on speed and only speed. Your audience might immediately be impressed but would soon grow bored and annoyed with your presentation. If you have something interesting to say (music theory and understanding) you will keep your audience interested much longer than by mesmerizing them with a million notes per minute. Now, when you combined something interesting to say with a fluid performance and speed, that is magic.

Just my two cents on the topic.

DiMarzio

#37 Post by DiMarzio » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:38 am

^ 1+

Just check out Steve Lukather.. prime example of just that

Ian Gavan
Newcomer

bjkbkjbkjbk

#38 Post by Ian Gavan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:30 am

bk k k n bjn
Last edited by Ian Gavan on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chastity West
Newcomer

#39 Post by Chastity West » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:04 am

You say you ''averaged'' 7.5 hours a day.
Think about the power your words can have on your mind! The very idea of average sickens me, and reading about your situation makes me want to scream and play trills faster than ever before. Because I CAN and I WILL! So can you, Ian. You're not like me, but you can try to be.
When writing your reply to me, use words like:
Good; fast; tasteful; hot; special and 'blindingly dazzling'.
This should help.

GuitarBizarre

#40 Post by GuitarBizarre » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Chastity West wrote:You say you ''averaged'' 7.5 hours a day.
Think about the power your words can have on your mind! The very idea of average sickens me, and reading about your situation makes me want to scream and play trills faster than ever before. Because I CAN and I WILL! So can you, Ian. You're not like me, but you can try to be.
When writing your reply to me, use words like:
Good; fast; tasteful; hot; special and 'blindingly dazzling'.
This should help.
The mental effects you're trying to imply here are completely irrelevant here. Had he described something AS average, particularly something like his playing, your post may be valid, but as of right now he is using the word 'average' in a purely factual sense. He plays an average of 7.5 hours a day, is completely different from 'I practice an 'average' amount, or 'I am an 'Average player'

Please, between this and your ludicrous thread about batteries, I'm beginning to wonder if you still retain posession of all your marbles. (Or indeed, your yiddish cup)

Edit: I dunno about the rest of those words, but I don't think there's ever gonna be any problem describing you or your posts as 'special'.

Azrael

Re: exhausted after practicing 8 hrs:(

#41 Post by Azrael » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:04 am

jasminepetrucci wrote:Hi guys!
any of you experienced the same thing?

i just have to do my 12 hrs practice regimen every day, but i just get so tired after 8 or 10 hrs, although i drink LOTS of energy drinks, try to eat healthy food, sleep enough (7-8 hrs)...

is there any advice you can give me what to do?

i remember a teacher of mine (from GIT) once told me that it's normal to get tired after all those hrs of practice, and he said when that happens just to eat a bag of potato chips.
but i don't eat that kind of food (too many calories and fat) :cry:

what do you do when you get tired?
It gets easier. You just have to develop more stamina in your chops. I had to play 14 hours a day for 3 days to participate in a Regional music group, and I was playing a bass clarinet. It got exhausting with the amount of air I was using. (Also, the second I tried to swab it out, spit poured out. :P)It's all about how used you are to putting in time.

Playing long tones for a long time (for wind players), helps to develop extended playing endurance. For guitar, I recommend lots of scales and arpeggios played repetitively.

jasminepetrucci
Newcomer

#42 Post by jasminepetrucci » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:10 pm

thanx Azrael! :wink:

spanishphrygian

#43 Post by spanishphrygian » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm

If you get tired it may mean that you really want to do something else. Like watch a movie or eat chips, drink a lot of Soda Pop and Gell out on the couch or something. :twisted: Surely there is nothing wrong with being a Couch Potato and frying yourself on good wholesome TV all night long. :twisted: Think about how much easier it would be as well- No expectations or goals, just let TV take charge and keep you glued to it until well before you know it you will be more concerned with the next American Idol then mere Practicing and foolish things like that. :P

I am really here to support everyone! :twisted:

burnt out

#44 Post by burnt out » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Some people are motivated to practice 800 hours a day because they know it will pay off.

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to use that same approach.

Just try to learn how to express yourself with your guitar.

That should get you going in the right direction.

If you can express or convey something of interest with your guitar then maybe someone will want to sit and listen to it.

If everyone all does the same thing then it'll all blow donkey dicks anyways.

Go at your own speed. March to your own drummer. And screw everybody else.

Now everyone all go off and do your own secret project and don't worry about what all the other guys are doing or how they're doing it.

If everyone all does the same things then the results will all be the same.

Come on. Don't be lame.

Do your own crazy thang.

Then maybe someone will surprise us.

All this unity is dividing us.

We're going to all drive eachother crazy.

Screw togetherness.

spanishphrygian

#45 Post by spanishphrygian » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Ah come on man! Lots of us practiced Shredding back in the '80's for 12 hours a day, and it never paid off at all. In fact after learning all of that what you call "expression," and stuff has only lead to Police Harassment and worse things like getting ran out of Apartments, Parks and whole Cities all together for more reasons then just 'doing our own thing'

I hate to sound RAP here but LETS KEEP IT REAL. Sometimes the sacrifice only leads you to be the the little sheepie that is going to bleed his life a way next, and most likely nobody will give a rats max either.

I hate to be so archiac, but the point is: You darn well better be playing just because you enjoy it. Then even more well aware that yes you may be tired after practicing 8 hours now, but when you are 50 years old how tired are you going to be looking back on all of that practice that never paid off! Sure you will be good, but nobody ever cared about that sort of thing anyway.

Really logically looking at how the clubs operate and Hollywood in the way they only select certain types that usaully can't play anyway- All things should be a big hint that playing is just not worth it unless you already have a deal with Hollywood or a club.

For myself things are easier- I hate movies and tv and hollywood so much because it is all so freaking stupid that my entertainment comes from playing the guitar my own way every night.

So far there is no law against that!

Even better I spent my life entertaining myself the way I want to. Instead of being dependant on all of these industries making money off of me. hehe. :twisted: