Scale pictures for strings 5 4 3

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Stringbreaker

And finally, here are the 14 scale types for strings 5 4 3 (and for 6 5 4). See the earlier postings for how to use them. Note that the string groups I am presenting are overlapping: group 3 2 1 and group 4 3 2 have two strings in common. Careful examination will lead you to see how similar these arrangements are to each other. Have fun!

The breaking of strings is the beginning of wisdom...

smj

I have to ask, have you personally benefitted from all of these diagrams, or are you just copying them from a book?

Sean Meredith-Jones
http://www.seanmeredithjones.com
Stringbreaker

I wrote the book I am excerpting them from. There is no copyright issue, I hold the copyright. I use diagrams like these to prepare custom fingering charts. The three string scale charts are part of a set of 60 I prepared for the commonest patterns for alternate tunings.

This is part of a visual system for breaking down nearly every possible alternate tuning: I have indeed found it useful even for standard tuning to have a look at the scale structure laid out as a diagram. Before I learned to create charts such as this my notebooks were full of just such diagrams. I used them for finding voicings and working out fingerings, often in tunings nobody has played in (at least that I knew).

The philosophy is to treat all of the tunings the same. The motions that hands and fingers make do not change because you raise or lower the pitch of a string or three. The charts are to help you anticipate what sound will be made when you make the motions. The scale charts are an extension of this. I use them even for the mental practice (ie when there is no guitar in my hands).

So I am offering the kind of visual reference I was looking for as a beginner and found hard to locate. These diagrams may not be the best option, but when you need scale and mode information they are amazingly compact. And, more importantly, by comparing the behavior of the top three strings against strings 5-4-3 (for example) the mind can be loosened a bit before examining similar material for D Modal or some such.

Finally, the question isn't whether I have personally benefitted from this: I created the diagrams for my own use. You can look for some of my earlier material to be released on Mel Bay by next summer (still unofficial as of today), or look on Elderly Instruments for a few of my other projects. I published my material because players were asking me for copies of my personal notebook. I did not benefit from cleaning up and preparing my own material for publication: other players did. I am offering some material online (for the moment) for the same reason as all the rest: I wanted it for myself, and judging from the posts I have read at least some of the players here wanted a different approach to chords and scales. This is a visual approach, and what I am offering here has no price tag attached and no obligation. If it doesn't work for you, hit the back button. OK?

smj

Stringbreaker wrote: If it doesn't work for you, hit the back button. OK?
It was an honest question, not an attack. Don't read too much into it. If it works for you then great!

Sean Meredith-Jones
http://www.seanmeredithjones.com
Stringbreaker

I apologize if I was a little brusque with my answer. I have just been fielding the comments of a fine gentleman who suggested that I should not waste my time posting this material. Just this morning the moderator suggested to him that he refrain from attempting to moderate the message boards where my posts were concerned. This set of exchanges was what put my back up in the first place.

I started out with a hot temper and few manners in my youth. I have been working to improve on that for the past couple of decades. I obviously still need some work in that area. Your question was fine and appropriate: my response was too hot under the collar. Please take no offense.