Segovia what is the point?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

Three or Four Fingers.

Three
4%
Three
4%
Three
4%
Three
4%
Four
21%
Four
21%
Four
21%
Four
21%

Total votes: 52
spanishphrygian

I just do not understand the point of the Segovian scales.
Except that it was a hoop that I had to jump through with my teacher.

Does anyone know the point of classical guitar scales?
I mean like the Segovian and Shearer and such.

I still play the nylon strings, but to me four fingers per strings is the only thing that really makes sense when playing single notes.

Should I just give up on Segovian and all other whimpy three fingers per strings?
lydian2000

spanishphrygian wrote:I just do not understand the point of the Segovian scales.
Except that it was a hoop that I had to jump through with my teacher.

Does anyone know the point of classical guitar scales?
I mean like the Segovian and Shearer and such.

I still play the nylon strings, but to me four fingers per strings is the only thing that really makes sense when playing single notes.

Should I just give up on Segovian and all other whimpy three fingers per strings?
.....huh?
miker

Dunno what those are... not everyone here is classically trained.

Can you give an example, or link to what exactly it is you are talking about?

I know like the "caged" major scales... go between 2 and 3 notes per string... don't like those. I prefer the 3 note per string major scale fingerings. This probably has no relation to what you are speaking of though.
shredlord

From another forum:
The Segovia scales are just a way to play across octaves with postion shifts up and down the neck. There are books that contain these scales as practice forms which encourage postion changes.

For example, the C scale can be played over two octaves with choices about which strings to play. The Segovia C scale begings with C at III on 5, with the 2 finger, then D is played at V with 4, then three notes are played on the 4th string, 4 notes on the 3 string, 3 notes on the 2 string, and 3 notes on the 1 string.

Contrast this with the Carcassi C scale, which is played mostly in the first postion (open and first three frets) before finally running up the 1 string to the high C.
Difficult topic to discuss it here. Most people around here didn't even try classical training, therefore do not know about Segovia etc.

For me, I always found it helpful to not limit myself to a certain amount of notes per string. Therefore I do not use scalar schemes, but improvise with what I have. Can be 6 notes per string, can be only 1. It just depends on my mood ^^
markno999

The Segovia scales are not just for classical music. While Segovia himself was a classical guitarist, these scales are used by jazz, rock, and other genres. The Segovia scales are 2 and 3 Octave Scales that take you all over the fretboard. Segovia himself did not invent any scales, simply a different way to play them. His goal was to take classical songs from Bach and other respectable musicians of the time and port them over to the guitar. He accomplished that goal and changed the way people thought about the guitar, ie. critics of the time said he would fail.

If nothing else, they present a comfortable solution for moving up and down the fingerboard and are useful as part of a practice regimine. You can get a Segovia book on Amazon for 5 bucks.
Breeder

I am really interested in this-can somebody please post some examples ! :D
miker

Apparently not... :?

Found these:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/sho ... php?t=1639

oh... the comments on this one are pretty good :shock: :
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/ ... cales.html

You can buy books about it here :roll: :
http://www.stormthecastle.com/classical ... egovia.htm

Yah... that pretty much answers all my questions. :?: :| :?: :lol:
Stephen Brown

Segovia a ground breaker. Never was so much owed by so many to so few. :D :headbang
miker

Well... they don't call him the maestro for nothing.
progmetalpilgrim

Any exercises are worth doing if they develop speed, coordination or technique, whether you actually use them in normal playing or not is up to you...

Personally though, I prefer to use all my fingers...
Breeder

I found them...if you need it send me a PM
BobDaNob

Didn't Yngwie say something to the effect of 'learn all the technique and theory you possibly can and then throw it all out the window and just play'?

It must've been a decade since I read that in a guitar mag, but it's always struck a chord with me.
lydian2000

Breeder wrote:I found them...if you need it send me a PM
yes.
burnt out

Wow imagine that. Another idiotic thread. :roll:

I know like the "caged" major scales... go between 2 and 3 notes per string... don't like those. I prefer the 3 note per string major scale fingerings. This probably has no relation to what you are speaking of though.
They're all important. It has nothing to do with which ones you like or dislike. They're all important.
Breeder

burnt out wrote:Wow imagine that. Another idiotic thread. :roll:
wow another guy who actually doesn't read the thread...if you would care to find out what Segovia scales are you would not answer so balantly