Harmonic Minor Arpeggios and chords anyone?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
FretboardFiend21

Hi, I've been using the natural minor a lot and am familiar with its place in the major scale and know what chords and arps I can use mostly:
maj/min/min/maj/maj/min/dim.
But how would it go for the harmonic minor? I know this question is worded poorly and vague but you see what I mean?
Thanks in advance,
Paul
seljer

build chords on each of the notes
just keep stacking thirds on top of each other

lets take A harmonic minor to keep it simple
A B C D E F G#

A C E = Am
B D F = Bdim
C E G# = Caug
D F A = Dm
E G# B = E, this one is important
F A C = F
G# B D = G#dim

so
i ii° bIII+ iv V bVI VII°
minor diminished augmented minor major major diminished

try throwing in a dominant seventh chord on the fifth at the end of a minor chord progression, gives a great sound

(also, try moving between the natural minor and the harmonic minor in the same progression, lots of options)
FretboardFiend21

Cheers, I'll give it a go :)
JohnStamos

why is there a b next to the bIII+? i know the + means augmented, does the III mean major? and is the b a flat? if so, why is it there because its C not like Cb. Im dumb
Ricardo

Lower case roman numeral is minor chord or chord with minor third at least. Major chord is capital letters, so you are right about that. Not necessary to use a "b" next to the roman numeral. But it ties into naming scales by intervals 1234567. That would be the major or natural scale. Harmonic minor is 12b345b67 So you see how b3 and bIII would relate? In A, the major 3rd is supposed to be C#. Understand the NATURAL scale is spelled from the note C, so transposing to the key of A you add 3 sharps(#).

Everything becomes easier when you spell using letters IMO and learn your order of sharps and flats.
Alex Smith

Note, that you can also play Fm (F G# C), Fdim (F G# B) and Ddim (D F G#). Indeed, when you move on to extensions, Bdim is extended to both Bdim7 and Bm7b5.
progmetalpilgrim

using harmonic minor arpeggios will give a very 'neo-classical' flavour, great stuff!