Buckethead's Acoustic Shards

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
dweezil 9

I just picked up a copy of this album, it is terrific. Bucketheads ability to play wonderful acoustic compositions is just amazing. I can't beleive someone has so much ability, it's astounding.

His techneque is odd, but flawless. He'll often make it sound like there are two guitars. Just fantastic!

Anyone else enjoy this album?

There's a preview up, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84B89LCbSlo
Ricardo

sorry, but just my opinion, his acoustic playing is very weak and cheesy compared to good acoustic players. He has like no strength or clearity like he does on electric. Same goes for many other shredders like Malmsteen gilbert, etc. They need to stick with the electric, or really start learning the proper technique for acoustic. It seems to be a novel thing for these guys put the electric down and do a "spanishy" acoustic number.

In the mean time, sure they are having fun playing acoustic tunes. Just not impressive to me like their work on electric.

Ricardo
lydian2000

Ricardo wrote:sorry, but just my opinion, his acoustic playing is very weak and cheesy compared to good acoustic players. He has like no strength or clearity like he does on electric. Same goes for many other shredders like Malmsteen gilbert, etc. They need to stick with the electric, or really start learning the proper technique for acoustic. It seems to be a novel thing for these guys put the electric down and do a "spanishy" acoustic number.

In the mean time, sure they are having fun playing acoustic tunes. Just not impressive to me like their work on electric.

Ricardo
I agree but I still find your judgemnt about gilbert a bit harsh, it seems to me that he's been trying a little harder than the other shredders you mentioned.

I think gilbert's "flamingo" is just a joke but a cool one, and that doesn't make me compare it it to real flamenco players like you or de lucia to name but one. :wink:
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

:lol: Acoustic shards was recorded in 1991, almost 17 years ago. It's just him sitting around noodlin' around. Like zappahead said, you either "get it" or you don't. :lol: Also keep in mind that we're talking about a guy that is basically a bit of Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Hazel, Will Ackerman, Randy Rhoads, Dick Dale, Paul Gilbert, Django Reinhardt & Tiny Tim all rolled in one, with a little Michael Jackson, Michael Myers, Bruce Lee, Col. Sanders, Johnny Sokko & Herbie thrown in the mix. :lol: :guitar
Ricardo

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote::lol: Acoustic shards was recorded in 1991, almost 17 years ago. It's just him sitting around noodlin' around. Like zappahead said, you either "get it" or you don't. :lol: Also keep in mind that we're talking about a guy that is basically a bit of Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Hazel, Will Ackerman, Randy Rhoads, Dick Dale, Paul Gilbert, Django Reinhardt & Tiny Tim all rolled in one, with a little Michael Jackson, Michael Myers, Bruce Lee, Col. Sanders, Johnny Sokko & Herbie thrown in the mix. :lol: :guitar
Like I said, it is cool they are having fun mixing it up. Just to my ears it is like they go from MASTER to low level student, just by switching guitars.

Gilbert is a clown and I love his sense of humour. When i see flamingo, I cringe, and my palms sweat, and I really get embarrassed for the guy. It is like watching that nervous kid studder in school doing his speech. I can't watch. I very quickly have to put on "Scarified".

Ricardo
dweezil 9

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote::lol: Acoustic shards was recorded in 1991, almost 17 years ago. It's just him sitting around noodlin' around. Like zappahead said, you either "get it" or you don't. :lol: Also keep in mind that we're talking about a guy that is basically a bit of Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Hazel, Will Ackerman, Randy Rhoads, Dick Dale, Paul Gilbert, Django Reinhardt & Tiny Tim all rolled in one, with a little Michael Jackson, Michael Myers, Bruce Lee, Col. Sanders, Johnny Sokko & Herbie thrown in the mix. :lol: :guitar
Hahhahaha amen. Have you seen Young Buckethead yet? I can't manage to find it anywhere, there's something on Amazon.com, but It's split up into two volumes, which confuses me.
shredlord

Like I said, it is cool they are having fun mixing it up. Just to my ears it is like they go from MASTER to low level student, just by switching guitars.

Gilbert is a clown and I love his sense of humour. When i see flamingo, I cringe, and my palms sweat, and I really get embarrassed for the guy. It is like watching that nervous kid studder in school doing his speech. I can't watch. I very quickly have to put on "Scarified".
I know this goes off topic, but regarding Gilbert, and think he handles the acoustic guitar very well, but in another way other typically acoustic players like Phil Keaggy, John MacLaughlin, Al DiMeola or else do. He just isn't a trained acoustic player so his approach isn't that classical. So it is on the opposite, the beforementioned guys never got to the technical accuracy Paul achieved (frankly, their are all excellent players, but on the electric, I discovered not just a few flaws in their playing, both live and on studio records) on the electric guitar.
Listen to his "Acoustic Samurai" album, it's very "Paulish", not like the very static "Flamingo".
Big Bad Bill

Based upon the YouTube clip, I won't be rushing out to buy this album! It just sounds trite. It's for real, devoted fans I assume.
PNicholson_RGT

I've always said this - go listen to a guy called Tommy Emmanuel.

He'll show you how an acoustic guitar should be played!
lydian2000

PNicholson_RGT wrote:I've always said this - go listen to a guy called Tommy Emmanuel.

He'll show you how an acoustic guitar should be played!
according to steve he is the best guitarist in the world, that in itself says a lot.
Stephen Brown

Peppino D'agostino is the bizz though.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Hey, I've got a great idea! :idea: How about we all listen to Tommy Emmanuel, Peppino D'Agostino, Paco, McLaughlin, Di Meola, Keaggy, Gilbert AND Buckethead!? :shock: :? :lol: