How does steve avoid string breakadge

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Janitor

Iv been fooling around with some steve vai technecs on the wammie and evertime i try i break strings failry quick. is there somthing he does to avoid this from happening.

Steve help please :wink:
cosmic ape

well in all fairness, he must have a better guitar than you, don't you think???
j3

Janitor wrote:Iv been fooling around with some steve vai technecs on the wammie and evertime i try i break strings failry quick. is there somthing he does to avoid this from happening.

Steve help please :wink:
You need to take your guitar to a luthier who specializes or is otherwise very familiar with a floyd-rose style tremelo. Anyone knowledgeable with the setup of these trems should be able to get you off the ground with RARE string breakage. Some of the steps include burnishing and lubricating the saddles, nut (and tuners if not using a floyd nut). But you must tell your luthier where and which strings are most commonly breaking.
Even Steve breaks strings sometimes, but you should be able to play for a month or more without breaking a string no matter what you do with your guitar so long as your manipulation of the instrument doesn't involve the use of fire or powertools.
:evil: :lol: :shock: :lol: :twisted:
-SkiZ-

j3 wrote:but you should be able to play for a month or more without breaking a string no matter what you do with your guitar so long as your manipulation of the instrument doesn't involve the use of fire or powertools.
:evil: :lol: :shock: :lol: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder what the sound of fire near the pickups will be...if any...looks like a job for mattias eklundh :P

Also, get a string cleaning product, they keep strings from getting rusty, wich is probably the most common cause of stringe breaknessness.
using the right string gauge is also useful, thinner strings go higher with lower tension, allowing those crazy bends and pullthewhammybardups a little easier and less hurting for the stringzorz, please someone correct me if i'm wrong here, i'm not entirely sure about the gauge/tension business
j3

-SkiZ- wrote:
j3 wrote: I wonder what the sound of fire near the pickups will be...if any...looks like a job for mattias eklundh :P

Also, get a string cleaning product, they keep strings from getting rusty, wich is probably the most common cause of stringe breaknessness.
using the right string gauge is also useful, thinner strings go higher with lower tension, allowing those crazy bends and pullthewhammybardups a little easier and less hurting for the stringzorz, please someone correct me if i'm wrong here, i'm not entirely sure about the gauge/tension business
1)Fire near the strings makes the string rise in pitch until it reaches it's breaking point.
2) The heavier the gauge, the less likely the string is to break, but if you go above 11's, the strings are not only unbearably difficult to bend >M3rd, you may risk damaging the pivots and the knife edges of your floyd. Additionally, if you have a normally slotted nut, it is unlikely that the nut was cut for strings larger than .011 on the E, so you may need to get them reseated so that they don't break (or have intonation problems) by binding in the nut. My point, however, was that any gauge D'addario's between .009 and .011(high E) to .042 and .053 (Low E) will typically last >1 month under heavy use if you have a properly set-up guitar.
Keep in mind that some people have high alkalinity or acidity in their sweat, this will cause the strings to corrode and break more quickly than the same abuse by someone with a more balanced ph. So keep those strings clean and switch to Elixir nanoweb strings if you continue to have problems with a properly set-up guitar.
TongueNGroove

If you are breaking strings a lot from playing Vai tunes( or any other) then your guitar is screwed up. Mostly likely cause is the bridge.

You should be able to play anything Vai and pull that bar up as far as it will go and as low as it will go for a long time, depending on how ofter you play and how severe you treat the strings. But I would say at least several weeks without running into a broken string.

I use my tremolo like a mad man and I might lose a string once every couple months.
resha

Steve always plays new strings.

Pretty easy don't you think?
-SkiZ-

I rarely break a string, i usually change them when they are too rusty to intonate properly, or when they're extremely rusty and i still don't change them and eventually the high E breaks.... If i clean the strings everytime i use them, they should last more than 3 months or so.
resha

-SkiZ- wrote:I rarely break a string, i usually change them when they are too rusty to intonate properly, or when they're extremely rusty and i still don't change them and eventually the high E breaks.... If i clean the strings everytime i use them, they should last more than 3 months or so.
Wow 3 months!

That's a huge amount of time!

How long do you play everyday?
mr_vai777

-SkiZ- wrote:I rarely break a string, i usually change them when they are too rusty to intonate properly, or when they're extremely rusty and i still don't change them and eventually the high E breaks.... If i clean the strings everytime i use them, they should last more than 3 months or so.
same here, only problem is using strings for longer than a month starts to feel horrible and gritty. if i'm struck for cash its great though! :D
Janitor

Man my guitar isent shitty and i know he might be more experinced but he must do somthing to the strings
LedFingers

lol, you think he coats them in some magic oil which makes them impossible to break? :wink:
You're most likely problem is that your saddles need to be smoothed out. what kind of guitar/trem do you have?
Big Bad Bill

Having played EVO I can report that Steve doesn't use strings. They are beams of purified light-filtered through quartz prisms.

Sorry I've been smoking spider's webs again............
:wink:
resha

Big Bad Bill wrote:Having played EVO I can report that Steve doesn't use strings. They are beams of purified light-filtered through quartz prisms.

Sorry I've been smoking spider's webs again............
:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great one Bill!
llamahead

cosmic ape wrote:well in all fairness, he must have a better guitar than you, don't you think???
not only that but i would think Steve get new strings anytime he wants