Songs Featuring Techniques

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
another virtuoso

Let this be a collection of songs which feature certain techniques for us to practice. Songs from any and all skill levels. If you know of a song that uses a particular technique - speak up!

Alternate Picking
(Paul Gilbert in general)
Technical Difficulties - Racer X
Battery - Metallica

Tapping
(Van Halen in general)
Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
Eruption - Van Halen
Building The Church - Steve Vai
Juice - Steve Vai
Midnight - Joe Satriani
Flying High Again - Ozzy Osbourne (with Randy Rhoads)
Sea of Lies - Symphony X
Green Tinted Sixties Mind - Mr. Big
Flight Of The Bumblebee - Jennifer Batten
Inca Roads - Frank Zappa
Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani

Legato
(Joe Satriani in general)
Mystical Potatoe Head - Joe Satriani
Shy Boy - David Lee Roth

Natural Harmonics
(Mattias IA Eklundh in general)
Up in Flames - Joe Satriani
Dancing The Night Away - Van Halen
Mean Street - Van Halen

String Skipping
Sea of Lies - Symphony X

Sweep Picking
(Yngwie Malmsteen and Frank Gambale in general)
Warm Regards - Steve Vai

Pinch/Artificial Harmonics
(Dimebag and Zakk Wylde in general)
Revolution Is My Name - Pantera

Hammer on/Pull off
Eruption - Van Halen

Bends
(SRV and BB King in general)
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Another Brick In The Wall, Part II - Pink Floyd

Downpicking
Master of Puppets - Metallica

Control Your Whammy Bar
(Nearly any Vai song will help get your whammy bar skills together)
Where Were You - Jeff Beck

Finger Style
(Andres Segovia in general, or any Bach peice arranged for guitar)
Classical Gas - Mason Williams
Mombasa - Tommy Emmanuel
Dee - Randy Rhoads (a classical instrumental he wrote while playing with Ozzy Osbourne)
Last edited by another virtuoso on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 18 times in total.
HiddenDedication

Don't forget about Frank gambale. He's the godfather in the sweeping regions. :wink:

And how about Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood, for the bends?
Zebula77

String skipping
-Michael Romeo (of Symphony X) on for example 'Sea Of Lies'. Of course, that song has an excellent (and very difficult) tapping section as well.

Slapped harmonics
-Mathias IA Eklundh. That thing he does where he slaps open string harmonics with his left middle finger. I don't know anybody who does this besides him, and I can't do it for the life of me!

Pull-off/hammer-on harmonics
Satch/EVH. The technique where you do a series of pull-offs and hammer-ons and lightly touch the string with your index finger or palm (of your picking hand) to produce various artifical harmonics
-yasi-

Sweeppicking- Jason Becker..don't know the song... anything with s... sry i dunno ;)

Eruption is very technically with Hamma ons- pull offs, tappings !
another virtuoso

Zebula77 wrote:String skipping
-Michael Romeo (of Symphony X) on for example 'Sea Of Lies'. Of course, that song has an excellent (and very difficult) tapping section as well.

Slapped harmonics
-Mathias IA Eklundh. That thing he does where he slaps open string harmonics with his left middle finger. I don't know anybody who does this besides him, and I can't do it for the life of me!

Satch/EVH. The technique where you do a series of pull-offs and hammer-ons and lightly touch the string with your index finger or palm (of your picking hand) to produce various artifical harmonics
I think Satriani's Up In Flames uses the slapped harmonic technique you are talking about. check this video and see if its the same thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb-DGS0RlpA

Any satch or evh song in particular you know of useing those pull off/hammer on harmonic techniques?
TonyMacalpine

Many of the tunes by Tony Macalpine and Greg Howe feature their speep to tap techniques. Also, any song by Stanley Jordan or T.J Helmerich will certainly feature 8 finger tapping.
resha

I'd add Juice in the tapping section and Warm Regards in the sweep section (imho a great example of sweeps used in a melodic contest and not in the usual "techno-way")
Zebula77

another virtuoso wrote:
Zebula77 wrote:String skipping

Slapped harmonics

I think Satriani's Up In Flames uses the slapped harmonic technique you are talking about. check this video and see if its the same thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb-DGS0RlpA

Any satch or evh song in particular you know of useing those pull off/hammer on harmonic techniques?
The EVH song that comes to mind is right at the end of 'Sucker In A Three Piece' off the 'OU812' album. Right where Hagar goes 'suck it up. Right to the last drop'. It's kinda muted, but it's the same technique alright.

As for the IA slapping harmonics - here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq0xvSJojw

As you can see, he's only using his left hand finger for those harmonics. Pretty cool.

I canNOT do it! :lol:
LedFingers

How about Shy Boy under legato (for us beginer/intermediates)
Animal 06

Cool :D heres my contribution.......

Downpicking: Metallica - Master of Puppets

Alternate Picking (Rhythm): Metallica - Battery

Artificial harmonics: Anything by Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society) :D

oh...and

Finger Style: Tommy Emmanuel - Mombasa
fixxer746

Tapped Harmonics
Dancing The Night Away - Van Halen
Mean Street - Van Halen

Delayed Volume Knob Swells
Cathedral - Van Halen
Zebula77

Whammy bar picking
Pushing down on the whammy bar agressively with each note. Like Satch does at the end of 'Surfing With The Alien'

Pick Tapping
Another Satch fave. Also on 'Surfing'. Most notably at the beginning of the solo.
Frank Zappa was probably the first to do this, tho. Heard in the wonderful 'Inca Roads' solo.

Melodic phrasing by whammy bar
Jeff Beck is the master of this. Just listen to how he bends those natural harmonics in 'Where Were You'

8 finger tapping
Jennifer Batten on her version of 'Flight Of The Bumblebee'. Also, I know Kiko Loureiro of Angra does this on occasion.

as for bending, I'd like to add David Gilmour - just listen to the bends in the 'Another Brick In The Wall - Part II'. And Hendrix, of course! His bends are legendary.
ebrown

Finger Style
virtually any Bach piece arranged for guitar is a good place to start.
-yasi-

fast picking
The beginning of The Subtle Arts of Murder and Persuasion from Lamb of God