Jason Becker Legato (video inside)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
xxxYNGWIExxx

dweezil 9 wrote:Fuck, alienillusion, your opinion was never asked, don't waste space. Thanks for the tab.

I agree, Jason Becker is a Guitar God and a musical genius to compare yourself to him is just stupid.
*theanimal*05

fuck guys that guitar solo is just something he threw out there to entertain the crowd. What rule says he has to play a melodic solo.

Theres truckloads of emotion in his solo record Perpetual Burn. Listen to that if you want to keep blabbing.
groom

i dont have much to go by, but he seems a good enough player to me, i have to respect him yo-yo-ing at the same time, it's given me the idea to buzzsaw (yo yo thing) on the guitar. as for technical chops, i love to learn them, but only use them at the right time. i think he used them too much. i know i'll be hated for this but in my view yngwie malmsteen to an extent does the same. in the words of a random "JESUS, shutup, we know you can play"
alienillusions
Banned

dweezil 9 wrote:Fuck, alienillusion, your opinion was never asked, don't waste space. Thanks for the tab.
And nonone asked you to be an obnoxious prick either, but there you go...
What tab? BTW, if you can't handle someones honest opinion that differs from yours, then it just shows how weak of a person you are. Grow up.
alienillusions
Banned

xxxYNGWIExxx wrote:

I agree, Jason Becker is a Guitar God and a musical genius to compare yourself to him is just stupid.
I never compared myself to him in any way...My musical style is much different...You guys really need to grow up and realize that not everyone is going to think the same way you do. Jason is a Guitar God to you, but he is just a wanker to me...That's just something you'll have to accept and not whine about like a little baby. It's an opinion, idiot.
NantucketSleighrider

To be fair, neither was yours. Give alienillusion a break, he can dislike Becker if he wants. Fair do's, hes got awesome technique, but he just isn't my taste. I don't think he has the phrasing that Vai/Satch/EVH have, and to me, phrasing is one of the key parts of guitar playing, knowing when NOT to shred. And I know nobody asked my opinion, so go ahead and cry to daddy you whiners.
dweezil 9

NantucketSleighrider wrote:
To be fair, neither was yours. Give alienillusion a break, he can dislike Becker if he wants. Fair do's, hes got awesome technique, but he just isn't my taste. I don't think he has the phrasing that Vai/Satch/EVH have, and to me, phrasing is one of the key parts of guitar playing, knowing when NOT to shred. And I know nobody asked my opinion, so go ahead and cry to daddy you whiners.
I wouldn't have said anything if he had restrained himself from stirring shit.

"My God that sounds terrible. One of the most unimaginative, uninspired solos I've ever heard...Bravo for the technique, but it sounds like crap."

You were clearly out to get a reaction, no one was enforcing this music upon you. So take your own advice and "grow up".
precario

Guys, calm down please, no need to be violent or offensive, can't we debate like civilized people? Each one has it's own tastes, we have to accept this or everybody would be argüing like you guys. Though I agree that saying this solo is unimaginative is not really truth I think I see where this comment came from, I belive Alienillusion just dislike/hates the (SOMETIMES nonsense) shreddings, and Jason Becker is a master of doing very fast stuff that people don't like (or just don't get).

Don't get me wrong, I am a very huge fan of Jason.
alienillusions
Banned

dweezil 9 wrote:
NantucketSleighrider wrote:
I wouldn't have said anything if I wasn't so damn drunk.

"My God that sounds terrible. One of the most unimaginative, uninspired solos I've ever heard...Bravo for the technique, but it sounds like crap."

You were so right".
Well thanks bud! I appreciate the support!;)
Ricardo

Hmm, I wonder why those that don't like becker, or consider him a "wank" are still checking out responses to their so special mature opinions, in THIS thread.

We can all have an opinion? Why that is so great. Here is mine. Becker played YO YO and eruption/spanish fly at the same time. A little tribute to VH, typical rock crowd pleaser. That is what rock music is about. Based on VH eruption, would one ask "does this guy have any groove?". Out of context it would be pointless, and even more childish to defend that point of view over and over. The whole point of the guitarist solo spot is to "wanK" and give the other guys a break in the show, at least with this rock music stuff.

Not to mention, this vid got out to the public because he can NO LONGER PLAY, and certainly embarrased by his youth, reluctantly released it to allow others to see him play something at least. He was at a stage of realizing he would never play again and has been releasing material like this for years, knowing it is not "choice" material. To go on and on about how this playing is "souless, tasteless, etc.", is......in bad taste.

Becker's music has a wide scope. Forget 'Burn" for a moment. Listen to Perspectives. Some of the deepest music I have ever heard, and I am not a kid anymore I listen to lot's of different kinds of music. The whole reason becker was a great guitarist, was because of his sense of RHYTHM. He is not cramming notes into the bar, he is thinking about phrasing always, even with those long arpeggio sections. If you don't hear that in Burn and his other music, perhaps it is because you are just used to easy rock rhythms. Then maybe David Lee's album would be more to your taste.

Either way, the guy knew how to groove. The most interesting thing about his music is the way he uses layers, polyphony. It takes more than several listenings to hear all that is going on, just like studying baroque music, or Vai's music. Very few guitarists will ever attain his level of understanding the instrument, and music in general.

In my opinion :roll:

Ricardo
alienillusions
Banned

Ricardo wrote:Hmm, I wonder why those that don't like becker, or consider him a "wank" are still checking out responses to their so special mature opinions, in THIS thread.

We can all have an opinion? Why that is so great. Here is mine. Becker played YO YO and eruption/spanish fly at the same time. A little tribute to VH, typical rock crowd pleaser. That is what rock music is about. Based on VH eruption, would one ask "does this guy have any groove?". Out of context it would be pointless, and even more childish to defend that point of view over and over. The whole point of the guitarist solo spot is to "wanK" and give the other guys a break in the show, at least with this rock music stuff.

Not to mention, this vid got out to the public because he can NO LONGER PLAY, and certainly embarrased by his youth, reluctantly released it to allow others to see him play something at least. He was at a stage of realizing he would never play again and has been releasing material like this for years, knowing it is not "choice" material. To go on and on about how this playing is "souless, tasteless, etc.", is......in bad taste.

Becker's music has a wide scope. Forget 'Burn" for a moment. Listen to Perspectives. Some of the deepest music I have ever heard, and I am not a kid anymore I listen to lot's of different kinds of music. The whole reason becker was a great guitarist, was because of his sense of RHYTHM. He is not cramming notes into the bar, he is thinking about phrasing always, even with those long arpeggio sections. If you don't hear that in Burn and his other music, perhaps it is because you are just used to easy rock rhythms. Then maybe David Lee's album would be more to your taste.

Either way, the guy knew how to groove. The most interesting thing about his music is the way he uses layers, polyphony. It takes more than several listenings to hear all that is going on, just like studying baroque music, or Vai's music. Very few guitarists will ever attain his level of understanding the instrument, and music in general.

Ricardo
Oh you are so enlightening Ricardo! Please spare me the Becker Bootlicking rant....I never went 'on and on' about how his playing was tasteless, soulless etc..I think I mentioned that just once actually...Why do you care if I reply in here? Are you stalking me? He's still a wanker, and he doesn't need to be worshipped like a God because he could solo really fast or whatever...I don't like him, so what! Move on with your lives! Are you going to chastize your own old, frail mother for not liking Jason Beckers wanking guitar solos? Trying to force someone to like and appreciate Jason Becker and his music is pointless and stupid, so why bother? Ricardo, you are truly confused.... :roll:
dweezil 9

alienillusions wrote:
Ricardo wrote:Hmm, I wonder why those that don't like becker, or consider him a "wank" are still checking out responses to their so special mature opinions, in THIS thread.

Ricardo
Oh you are so enlightening Ricardo! Please spare me the Becker Bootlicking rant....I never went 'on and on' about how his playing was tasteless, soulless etc..I think I mentioned that just once actually...Why do you care if I reply in here? Are you stalking me? He's still a wanker, and he doesn't need to be worshipped like a God because he could solo really fast or whatever...I don't like him, so what! Move on with your lives! Are you going to chastize your own old, frail mother for not liking Jason Beckers wanking guitar solos? Trying to force someone to like and appreciate Jason Becker and his music is pointless and stupid, so why bother? Ricardo, you are truly confused.... :roll:
I really do pity you. And this thread needs to be locked.
Zebula77

I second that! Originally a thread about a TAB request, wasn't it? :roll:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

alienillusions - here's something to think about: What kind of a person dislikes something so much and then spends all their time heaping shit on it and starting arguments about it here? Obviously someone with issues and/or too much time on their hands.

Grow up and stop littering this discussion with your dumb-ass aggression. It's unnecessary and unwelcome. You've successfully turned a peaceful (and briefly productive) discussion between guys simply looking for guitar tabs into a flame war.

You don't like Jason Becker? Then move on with your life and stop being the fly in the ointment of people who do.

Not cool.

Mikey
vai.com

p.s. Oh, and since you have "come up with a lot more original and beautiful pieces than that", let's hear them. Put up or shut up. And if your answer is "I don't have anything to prove", then you have actually proven you're just another armchair critic talking big from behind a computer screen who feels better about himself by pooping on other people actually out there doing something.
alienillusions
Banned

Mikey wrote:alienillusions - here's something to think about: What kind of a person dislikes something so much and then spends all their time heaping shit on it and starting arguments about it here? Obviously someone with issues and/or too much time on their hands.

Grow up and stop littering this discussion with your dumb-ass aggression. It's unnecessary and unwelcome. You've successfully turned a peaceful (and briefly productive) discussion between guys simply looking for guitar tabs into a flame war.

You don't like Jason Becker? Then move on with your life and stop being the fly in the ointment of people who do.

Not cool.

Mikey
vai.com

p.s. Oh, and since you have "come up with a lot more original and beautiful pieces than that", let's hear them. Put up or shut up. And if your answer is "I don't have anything to prove", then you have actually proven you're just another armchair critic talking big from behind a computer screen who feels better about himself by pooping on other people actually out there doing something.
You just made yourself look like a total jackass kid, Mikey...I thought you were older than 10 and could handle an opinion...Who spliked your cereal with bitch flakes anyways? I never flamed anybody, and you trying to put me on the spot because I said I've come up with more beautiful pieces or whatever, just shows what un uneducated, peurile, ignorant mind you really have. I'm not talking big, all I did was honestly express my opinion, and if you can't handle that, then you should take some pills for your anxiety or ultra sensitivity or whatever you have...Honestly, you guys need to develop a thicker skin and get a fucking grip. :roll: Feel like a big hero now Mikey?