Is this Vai DVD worth a purchase? (Tommy Angelo teaches)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Jared2720

Sorry, guys. Let us know if the DVD is any good. Again, sorry for being an ass.
armadacd555
Newcomer

i would say that when it comes to learning a song, u learn it until you no it well but then you make it your own so your felling and your passion are heard through the song
alienillusions
Banned

armadacd555 wrote:i would say that when it comes to learning a song, u learn it until you no it well but then you make it your own so your felling and your passion are heard through the song
And this has what to do with my original question? :roll:
Rakuku

As a pre-requisite to learning For the Love of God you must do the following:

1. Wander the desert for 15 years living on only rotten carrot juice.
2. Loose all your immediate family in a plane crash which landed on your apartment building.
3. Live with the wolves of the New England forests for 12-14 months, nursing their young and learning thier ways.
4. Dig up a mummy.

After that, there are extensive application processes evaluating whether or not you have an emotional IQ high enough to play, allow 6-8 weeks for your 28 page report back describing whether or not you are approved to play the song.

Of course you can't just learn the song... This is MUSIC we're talking about here. :roll:
alienillusions
Banned

Rakuku wrote:As a pre-requisite to learning For the Love of God you must do the following:

2. Loose all your immediate family in a plane crash which landed on your apartment building.
3. Live with the wolves of the New England forests for 12-14 months, nursing their young and learning thier ways.
4. Dig up a mummy.

After that, there are extensive application processes evaluating whether or not you have an emotional IQ high enough to play, allow 6-8 weeks for your 28 page report back describing whether or not you are approved to play the song.

Of course you can't just learn the song... This is MUSIC we're talking about here. :roll:
I disagree...maybe that's partially true for those with no talent or experience, but for me, learning 'virtuoso' songs just requires learning the notes and rhythms, and I'll add the inflections and nuances on my own...it's not really as hard as everyone makes it out to be..after all, it is only MUSIC we're talking about here... :roll:
Rakuku

alienillusions wrote:
Rakuku wrote:As a pre-requisite to learning For the Love of God you must do the following:

4. Dig up a mummy.

I disagree...maybe that's partially true for those with no talent or experience, but for me, learning 'virtuoso' songs just requires learning the notes and rhythms, and I'll add the inflections and nuances on my own...it's not really as hard as everyone makes it out to be..after all, it is only MUSIC we're talking about here... :roll:
There's this thing... Called humor. :D
lydian7

There's one fundamental thing which most amateur/semi-pro guitarists lack, and that's timing. 99% of all Vai covers I've heard fall down in one particular area over and over again, and that's staying tight within the pocket of a groove. Most guitarists who practice without a metronome or a drum always fall back into their own tempo, then when confronted with a strict tempo they fall apart. One of the most important aspects of playing is to listen to where the beats fall, and hitting the notes within the pocket of the groove.

Remember, this is where Steve fell down when he was recording for Zappa for the first time. When he was confronted with a strict tempo, he had to quickly learn how to stay in the pocket of a groove. It took him 8 hours to record his first Zappa riff! It's all very well flailing away with your legato and shredding lines, but you have to maintain a steady tempo, and THAT is where 99% of amateur guitarists fail.

As for the Vai dvd you were mentioning, I'd save your pennies. It only shows you snippets of Vai songs, and it doesn't show you any song the whole way through. You'd be better off learning from tab or manuscript, and observing how Steve plays the song on G3 or something. Also open your ears to the small nuances you hear on the song. Quite often you get stuck in a rut of playing the easiest method to achieve results, but listening out for the dynamic and intensity of each phrase is important, and how the texture adds to the song overall.
brentm

alienillusions wrote: Some of his stuff is quite difficult to figure out by ear, even at slower tempos...(the Tascam can get really warbly sounding when you slow a CD down to 50 percent). I'll likely order the DVD just for kicks...15 bucks isn't very much dough...
Sounds like there are enough experts chiming in on whatever.... :oops:

I'd be interested to see how Windows Media Player (WMP) compares to the Tascam. When playing the music using WMP, go to View > Enhancements > Play Speed Settings. There you can turn the speed down to 50 percent also. Some songs sound better than others played at 50 percent.

I'd also be interested to hear how the instructional DVD is. I'd buy a copy after a review from you.
KGNOKODOMO

HELLO:
i would recommend to try this amazing slow downer from roni music company it is a pc or mac program that does the same than the tascam you mention but i think it works better, belive me, i have seen the tascam and i have this program and it helped me more, in fact now i am trying to play some parts from tender surrender which i thought i could never play, of course i am doing it with tablature in hand too, since my ear is not that good.
yo can download a trial version in case you want to just try!!
sure is more expensive than the dvd you mention, but it will help you with songs from any guitarist, not only vai´s!!!

try it!!! and best regards!!!
LedFingers

I have the tommy angelo DVD, and, it's not the great. Some parts are slightly innacurate compared to powertab. But, has anyone check this out?
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/09629 ... rie Govan.
FreerangeBean
Newcomer

I've found the following technique has served me perfectly for learning to play the tracks off of Passion & Warfare:

1) Buy book.
2) Pick song to learn.
3) Learn page 1, turn over page.
4) Goggle at how Page 2 is one bar featuring 36 swept arpeggios and tapped harmonics.
5) Pick new song to learn.
6) Repeat previous steps 2-3 times.
7) Lie down with Icepack on head.
alienillusions
Banned

LedFingers wrote:I have the tommy angelo DVD, and, it's not the great. Some parts are slightly innacurate compared to powertab. But, has anyone check this out?
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/09629 ... rie Govan.
Wow, now that is one I'd likely get...especially since it features one of the most technically accomplished guitarists in the world!
groom

alienillusions wrote:

4. Dig up a mummy.

if it's only music, that can be learned by any technical guitarist, how come HE wrote it, and not malmsteen or gilbert. they can play the song, but to write it is a different matter. not to degrade peoples covers of the song, but i rarely hear a cover of ftlog that actually sounds close to the real thing, because it becomes a shredfest at the solo. and saying you dont need feel. that's the whole thing about Jason Becker you were slagging off. MAKE UP YOUR MIND. i understand that it's your opinion, and until recently i also believed feel has nowt to do with it. Then for my own experiment i tried to play without thinking, at first it was crap, but before long i was playin stuff that was unique, expressive AND in my view cool. Joe Satriani wrote Flying in a Blue Dream about a repeating dream he kept having, is that just music, no. it's an artist conveying his experiences and feelings through music. My best melodies come from just sitting, and playing how i feel. many have been done blindfolded. so for you to say it's just Music, is a very accurate reflection on why you are not famous, and the man who wrote for the love of god is. :D
alienillusions
Banned

groom wrote:
alienillusions wrote:

4. Dig up a mummy.

if it's only music, that can be learned by any technical guitarist, how come HE wrote it, and not malmsteen or gilbert. they can play the song, but to write it is a different matter. not to degrade peoples covers of the song, but i rarely hear a cover of ftlog that actually sounds close to the real thing, because it becomes a shredfest at the solo. and saying you dont need feel. that's the whole thing about Jason Becker you were slagging off. MAKE UP YOUR MIND. i understand that it's your opinion, and until recently i also believed feel has nowt to do with it. Then for my own experiment i tried to play without thinking, at first it was crap, but before long i was playin stuff that was unique, expressive AND in my view cool. Joe Satriani wrote Flying in a Blue Dream about a repeating dream he kept having, is that just music, no. it's an artist conveying his experiences and feelings through music. My best melodies come from just sitting, and playing how i feel. many have been done blindfolded. so for you to say it's just Music, is a very accurate reflection on why you are not famous, and the man who wrote for the love of god is. :D
Wow, you are the flame master...so tell me, what are you gonna do with your life now? :lol: