Is this Vai DVD worth a purchase? (Tommy Angelo teaches)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
alienillusions
Banned

Seems almost to good to be true...15 bucks for an hour DVD to learn Tender Surrender, Blue Powder, and For The Love of God? Is Tommy Angelo very accurate? Some of you guys must have ordered from www.metalmethod.com before....anyways, here's the link: http://www.metalmethod.com/steve-vai-gu ... sson-1.htm
Jared2720

I don't think you can "teach" somebody how to play "For the Love of God."
alienillusions
Banned

Jared2720 wrote:I don't think you can "teach" somebody how to play "For the Love of God."
Sure you can!...Why the hell wouldn't you be able to? You obviously are personally in charge of adding the nuances, but why can't somebody show you the licks from that song? Is it some sort of impossible-to-play opus on a 9 string lute? Gimme a break! :roll: I know people who were "taught" how to play "For The Love of God", and they play it very very well...
Jared2720

It's not about knowing which notes to play as much as it is knowing why they need to be played.
stu_hig

Jared2720 wrote:It's not about knowing which notes to play as much as it is knowing why they need to be played.
Not sure I understand what you mean. If your learning a song it's all about which notes to play.
alienillusions
Banned

stu_hig wrote:
Jared2720 wrote:It's not about knowing which notes to play as much as it is knowing why they need to be played.
Not sure I understand what you mean. If your learning a song it's all about which notes to play.
Agreed..why do we need some sort of psycho-analyses of each note we play?The 'why' is because I WANT to play those notes! It needn't be any more complicated than that. That's ridiculous...Of course it's WHICH notes to play...It's only rock and roll...even Steve himself has said he never wanted to sound too polished, and he wanted to sound edgy. Your not some kind of elitist are you Jared? Hope you have a strong argument to back up your claim. :roll: Anyways, is there anybody who is going to reply with an answer pertaining to my question?
GuitarMofo23

^I think he is talking about feel and emotion. You can't teach someone how to play a song with emotion.
Jared2720

Thank you.
stu_hig

I don't think emotion should come into it. You learn it first and when you play it, if your into it, it will be naturally emotional. It dosen't take anything special to be able to do it.

Emotion is only a small part of a very technically challanging song and who, honestly, is going to care about it when they are learning the song?
Jared2720

stu_hig wrote:I don't think emotion should come into it. You learn it first and when you play it, if your into it, it will be naturally emotional. It dosen't take anything special to be able to do it.

Emotion is only a small part of a very technically challanging song and who, honestly, is going to care about it when they are learning the song?
I would argue that emotion/feel is the most crucial element of this song. Whenever you hear of anybody praising this piece, it's usually the emotion with which they are most impressed; it's rare that you hear anybody discussing, in any depth, the technicality of the song. Furthermore, I am growing tired of people trying to be Steve Vai clones by posting their sub-par versions of FTLOG which might have been made better had they paid attention to the emotion/feel (which you cannot learn from a $15 DVD) when learning the song. So, to get back on topic and answer the original question, I agree that the DVD is probably too good to be true. Thanks.
The Man With 1 Eye

You can learn to play a song without being emotionally invested in it. You can learn all of the cool licks in FTLOG without trying to recreate Vai's personal emotional intensity for a number of reasons:

1. Great way to build your technique without resorting to mind-numbingly useless quasi-chromatic exercises.

2. Analysis of a great composition and solo.

3. That warm and fuzzy feeling of pride and accomplishment.

4. Those cool licks might inspire an emotional spark in your own music which, to me, is far more valuable than trying to recreate another's emotional spark.
alienillusions
Banned

Jared2720 wrote:
stu_hig wrote:I don't think emotion should come into it. You learn it first and when you play it, if your into it, it will be naturally emotional. It dosen't take anything special to be able to do it.

I would argue that emotion/feel is the most crucial element of this song. Whenever you hear of anybody praising this piece, it's usually the emotion with which they are most impressed; it's rare that you hear anybody discussing, in any depth, the technicality of the song. Furthermore, I am growing tired of people trying to be Steve Vai clones by posting their sub-par versions of FTLOG which might have been made better had they paid attention to the emotion/feel (which you cannot learn from a $15 DVD) when learning the song. So, to get back on topic and answer the original question, I agree that the DVD is probably too good to be true. Thanks.
As I stated before, the player is personally responsible for these types of nuances which capture the emotion of the song. Those with some natural talent and playing experience do not need to be taught any more than the notes....if you are overanalyzing things like asking yourself :"Why am I playing these notes?", then maybe you shouldn't really be a guitar player...What specifically do you mean by the 'technicality' of the song? Please explain in detail....I've always been able to add the inflections, nuances, and emotive playing, because I do have natural talent and I've been playing a long time..so I don't need my hand held when learning tunes...the only thing I am interested in are the notes, and I'm responsible for the emotion, which is fine with me... I wouldn't have it any other way!These are not things that can not easily be taught, but it's not impossible. This isn't rocket science, it's guitar! I don't get this uptight attitude you have...guitar playing is supposed to be fun, but you seem to take pleasure in sucking the life right out of it with your cynicism.
vinccenzzo

I haven't bought the 1 hour DVD on how to play like steve vai so you can stop reading right here if that's all you want to know.
Now if I can give you some advice that would be to ignore posts coming from angry people because jared2720 is obviously having a bad day.
My second advice is if you have been playing for a long time I'm pretty sure you don't need to buy the DVD. Now what is a long time for you I don't know.
I would recommend buying the tab books even though there are mistakes in them. Also check out some of the Vai DVDs even though you don't see everything he does.
If it's too much money then I would recommend to do a search on the internet because these songs have been 'transcribed' (often copied from the tab books) a zillion times on the web. You can always ask on forums like this one about how the tricky parts are played (even though some people are gonna find it useful to tell you that it's all about feel)
Last but not least I think you'd be better off buying a box of Q-tips and use your ears. Just imagine you're blind, then no tabs, no DVDs. If it's too hard at first you can always get a free program that slows down songs without changing the pitch. It will be a slow process but it will pay off in the future, then you won't need it anymore and you'll be the one making DVDs.
$15 to learn 3 Steve Vai Songs is a rip-off in my opinion. It's $15 to see another guy playing them. Even if the guy breaks down some parts I think you can do it yourself with a little more work. If it's worth $15 it's up to you.
On their website they say you can get a refund if you're not happy with it...
dweezil 9

Jared don't be an ass, and alienillusions, don't encourage him. I'd recomend just using the power tab, it's very accurate, and you can just pick things up by wathcing him play the song on several dvd's.
alienillusions
Banned

vinccenzzo wrote:I haven't bought the 1 hour DVD on how to play like steve vai so you can stop reading right here if that's all you want to know.
Now if I can give you some advice that would be to ignore posts coming from angry people because jared2720 is obviously having a bad day.
My second advice is if you have been playing for a long time I'm pretty sure you don't need to buy the DVD. Now what is a long time for you I don't know.
I would recommend buying the tab books even though there are mistakes in them. Also check out some of the Vai DVDs even though you don't see everything he does.
If it's too much money then I would recommend to do a search on the internet because these songs have been 'transcribed' (often copied from the tab books) a zillion times on the web. You can always ask on forums like this one about how the tricky parts are played (even though some people are gonna find it useful to tell you that it's all about feel)
Last but not least I think you'd be better off buying a box of Q-tips and use your ears. Just imagine you're blind, then no tabs, no DVDs. If it's too hard at first you can always get a free program that slows down songs without changing the pitch. It will be a slow process but it will pay off in the future, then you won't need it anymore and you'll be the one making DVDs.
$15 to learn 3 Steve Vai Songs is a rip-off in my opinion. It's $15 to see another guy playing them. Even if the guy breaks down some parts I think you can do it yourself with a little more work. If it's worth $15 it's up to you.
On their website they say you can get a refund if you're not happy with it...
I'm picking up the P and W tab book on Friday...I've been playing 15 years, if you are curious....and I've got a Tascam guitar trainer device to slow things down...one of my guitar teachers (who attended MIT, and had lessons with Morse, Gilbert and Malmsteen) told me it took him a year to transcribe FTLOG by ear, and it would be better to get the tab...My ears are very good from transcribing stuff for years, but this is Vai! :wink: Some of his stuff is quite difficult to figure out by ear, even at slower tempos...(the Tascam can get really warbly sounding when you slow a CD down to 50 percent). I'll likely order the DVD just for kicks...15 bucks isn't very much dough... :)