How to play blues like Eric Sardinas

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Cleggy
Member
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 am

Can somebody point me in the direction of some lessons / tabs /pointers etc that could introduce me to the styles and ways of playing the blues.
Eric Sardinas is a legend.
JohnStamos
Member
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:55 pm

The trick is to be as bad as possible. I personally think Eric Sardinas is one of the worst guitarists ever. When I saw him open up for Vai, he kept doing this really annoying squeal with his whammy bar literally every 5 seconds. All his solos sounded exactly the same with the same, generic pentatonic riffs. His lyrics are terrible and I'd maybe give him a little credit if he improvised everything on the spot. If not, then he has no excuse for sucking so badly especially since he opens for Vai. Just look at his solo in The Attitude Song on the Live in Astoria DVD. Awful.

If you really wanna sound like Sardinas, just take a slide and sound like you're playing a blues solo backwards.
Cleggy
Member
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 am

Thanks pal, thats quite helpful inside knowledge.

:shock:

I think you should listen to his stuff.
SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm

JohnStamos wrote:The trick is to be as bad as possible. I personally think Eric Sardinas is one of the worst guitarists ever. When I saw him open up for Vai, he kept doing this really annoying squeal with his whammy bar literally every 5 seconds. All his solos sounded exactly the same with the same, generic pentatonic riffs. His lyrics are terrible and I'd maybe give him a little credit if he improvised everything on the spot. If not, then he has no excuse for sucking so badly especially since he opens for Vai. Just look at his solo in The Attitude Song on the Live in Astoria DVD. Awful.

If you really wanna sound like Sardinas, just take a slide and sound like you're playing a blues solo backwards.
your a fuckin arogant faggot who does'nt deserve to even give an opinion like that, you know something to be honest your either a crap musician yourself or simply have no musicianship, your a complete waste of seman, u idiot, eric sardinas is quite a well respected guy and a hell of a player, so you undermine steve's judgement whenever you say that because he s on steve's favored nations lable. Jus quit we'll ur ahead loser.
User avatar
b2
Member
Member
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 am

You should study blues and how to use a slide with regular or
different tunings. There are some great old blues players to listen
to and some new ones like Sardinas.
if6was9
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 am

JohnStamos wrote:The trick is to be as bad as possible. I personally think Eric Sardinas is one of the worst guitarists ever. When I saw him open up for Vai, he kept doing this really annoying squeal with his whammy bar literally every 5 seconds. All his solos sounded exactly the same with the same, generic pentatonic riffs. His lyrics are terrible and I'd maybe give him a little credit if he improvised everything on the spot. If not, then he has no excuse for sucking so badly especially since he opens for Vai. Just look at his solo in The Attitude Song on the Live in Astoria DVD. Awful.

If you really wanna sound like Sardinas, just take a slide and sound like you're playing a blues solo backwards.
Are you a frustrated musician that didn't make it and have nothing better to do than making such idiotic statements ? Beside that, reading that you think he's doing the same generic pentatonic licks, tells me everything i'd ever need to know about you as a player.
Christophar
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:34 pm

if6was9 wrote:
JohnStamos wrote:The trick is to be as bad as possible. I personally think Eric Sardinas is one of the worst guitarists ever. When I saw him open up for Vai, he kept doing this really annoying squeal with his whammy bar literally every 5 seconds. All his solos sounded exactly the same with the same, generic pentatonic riffs. His lyrics are terrible and I'd maybe give him a little credit if he improvised everything on the spot. If not, then he has no excuse for sucking so badly especially since he opens for Vai. Just look at his solo in The Attitude Song on the Live in Astoria DVD. Awful.

If you really wanna sound like Sardinas, just take a slide and sound like you're playing a blues solo backwards.
Are you a frustrated musician that didn't make it and have nothing better to do than making such idiotic statements ? Beside that, reading that you think he's doing the same generic pentatonic licks, tells me everything i'd ever need to know about you as a player.

Oh please dont start another kirk hammet argument. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion but that dosent mean you have to go to the extent of bashing someones favourite player.
5thD
Member
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:14 am

Many shredders bash blues players, I believe it's because to really play the blues, you must be feeling something...which takes a whole other part of the brain than just memorizing scales and playing them as fast as possible.
Rakuku
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:54 pm

Any shredder who just plays scales as fast as he can is as bad as the 'bluesman' who wanks on pentatonic endlessly. 'Soul' and taste are not bound to one genre; a good guitar player can convey an image or thesis through whatever his craft is, whether it be blues, rock, classical, metal, indie, polka or whatever... OK, maybe not polka.

I'm tired of hearing people bind 'soul' and 'feeling' to the blues, and only the blues.
if6was9
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 am

Christophar wrote:
if6was9 wrote:
JohnStamos wrote:The trick is to be as bad as possible. I personally think Eric Sardinas is one of the worst guitarists ever. When I saw him open up for Vai, he kept doing this really annoying squeal with his whammy bar literally every 5 seconds. All his solos sounded exactly the same with the same, generic pentatonic riffs. His lyrics are terrible and I'd maybe give him a little credit if he improvised everything on the spot. If not, then he has no excuse for sucking so badly especially since he opens for Vai. Just look at his solo in The Attitude Song on the Live in Astoria DVD. Awful.

If you really wanna sound like Sardinas, just take a slide and sound like you're playing a blues solo backwards.
Are you a frustrated musician that didn't make it and have nothing better to do than making such idiotic statements ? Beside that, reading that you think he's doing the same generic pentatonic licks, tells me everything i'd ever need to know about you as a player.

Oh please dont start another kirk hammet argument. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion but that dosent mean you have to go to the extent of bashing someones favourite player.
I'm not starting another Kirk Hammet argument, but man, that post just was plain stupid. Of course everyone has an opinnion, but there is difference between opinnion and facts. I never understood what's the point of bashing guitar players. Usually the guys who bash them are hiding behind a computer and talk too much and develop a big ego instead of being a respectful musician with good atitude. I think those guys deserve to be bring back to earth. And JohnStamos, is an ideal example.
SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm

yes well said man, that comment you made is as fair as they come, i mean you must be right, the guy johnstamos is simply an ignorant, selfish, unrespecful guy. And trust me the fact is that sardinas is a really accomplished player however the opinion of john stamos should be, "Eric is a well made musician however his style and music does'nt really become fortunate to me". Thats all the guy had to say like, instead of attempting to tornish his reputation which he has earned and not through doing nafin.

Later
if6was9
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 am

fortheloveofgod wrote:yes well said man, that comment you made is as fair as they come, i mean you must be right, the guy johnstamos is simply an ignorant, selfish, unrespecful guy. And trust me the fact is that sardinas is a really accomplished player however the opinion of john stamos should be, "Eric is a well made musician however his style and music does'nt really become fortunate to me". Thats all the guy had to say like, instead of attempting to tornish his reputation which he has earned and not through doing nafin.

Later
Exactly, you got my point.
JohnStamos
Member
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:55 pm

You're right, I was a little harsh in my wording. I should've been more diplomatic. Sorry about that.

But I still stand by my words. All his songs literally sound the same. I have his albums and it's seriously just like a fast blues solo with thousands of little slides. All his solos sound the same. Just listen to Killin' Time Blues, Devil's Train, and Piece of Me. All the solos are practically identical, with a couple small insignificant changes. When i saw him live, he DID just do all random pentatonic 'wanking' , and playing the cliche pentatonic riffs.
How could you tell me the Attitude Song solo for Sardinas was good? It's just like what he does in his other songs and not only that, it didnt fit the song he was playing at all. I'm not some washed up musician. I'm 16. I don't believe i deserved the comments I got. Someone told me I was selfish, which doesn't even makes sense in this situation.
When I saw him in concert, he really just totally bored me. He'd unplug his guitar and play strum a chord or two unplugged or just repeat a riff over a over again unplugged and for some reason that made the audience go crazy. Then he came out during My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Momma and his solos sounded like every other solo he's ever played!! He'd constantly do that squealing trick that he does at 1:48 of Devil's Train every 5 seconds. It really just got tired and repetitive.

I just don't see why people love Sardinas so much. He's not a very good singer and his lyrics aren't very good. I know people are gonna get really defensive but for someone on Vai's record label, we're really not seeing much. How exactly is he doing something so unique that Vai is looking for? Sardinas doesnt even fit the Vai style of music, I have no idea why he's opening for him.
Cleggy
Member
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 am

Fair dos pal, thats over with.

So anyone know of any good hints?

Thanks b2 for our advice so far.
j1mi_h3ndrix
Member
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:57 pm

JohnStamos wrote:The trick is to be as bad as possible. I personally think Eric Sardinas is one of the worst guitarists ever. When I saw him open up for Vai, he kept doing this really annoying squeal with his whammy bar literally every 5 seconds. All his solos sounded exactly the same with the same, generic pentatonic riffs. His lyrics are terrible and I'd maybe give him a little credit if he improvised everything on the spot. If not, then he has no excuse for sucking so badly especially since he opens for Vai. Just look at his solo in The Attitude Song on the Live in Astoria DVD. Awful.

If you really wanna sound like Sardinas, just take a slide and sound like you're playing a blues solo backwards.

:!: :?:

lol you're an idiot
Post Reply