No More Passion?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Rakuku

A year ago I was SUBMERGED in the guitar. My drive slowly diminished over time. You couldn't tear me off of the thing. Now I barely practice. I don't understand!? Any ideas?
Ryakoth

start listening to vai then ask yourself wouldnt it be cool if i could play like that, then answer yes, and when you are done your self dialogue try to learn something WWWWAAAYYYY above your level and when you cant play it youll be frusterated and start dedicating yourself more to practice, good plan?
jemvan

sounds great but truly is annoying. This is when you discover your slavery to the instrument
DiMarzio

This is a comon problem for musicians (at least the ones i know)..
What i do when i have such an experience is: I sit down (or just stand... id doesent really make a difference :P ) and think: What havent i dont with my guitar? You must chalenge your creativity (i know some are gonna crack some jokes here).. Learn stuff by ear.. Learn to read sheet music, and then play it on your guitar.. whatever! But do something new and interesting :) Best advice i can give ya
Rakuku

DiMarzio wrote:This is a comon problem for musicians (at least the ones i know)..
What i do when i have such an experience is: I sit down (or just stand... id doesent really make a difference :P ) and think: What havent i dont with my guitar? You must chalenge your creativity (i know some are gonna crack some jokes here).. Learn stuff by ear.. Learn to read sheet music, and then play it on your guitar.. whatever! But do something new and interesting :) Best advice i can give ya
I just don't have the drive to anymore. I know I should, and I know I WANT to, but that just doesn't cut it. I dunno what's wrong with me.
mesavox

Everyone hits it... It's a discipline thing. There is nothing that exists that you will want to do all the time other than lazing around all day every day. That's not an option. Discipline.

I think of it this way... if I want to do this for a living, and I actually get there, what am I going to do when I have to do it. If I can't discipline myself now, forget about it when it's a job. Since I'm in school, it's become a job. Plus I'm working on serious audition tapes... that's a job. I have to practice. And in no way do I always want to. But, when I go to just jam or play around, I've very glad I did.

Join your local colleges jazz band... even if it's just to hang out for practices and comp and solo and not perform with them. That way the focus won't be on guitar (I.e. There will be killer trumpet players etc.) but you'll have to work on it to sound good
PureVa|

my OCD keeps me playin...
:D
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

I agree that if you're not already, you should get with other musicians, somehow, someway. If you're not in a band, get in one, college jazz, school band, garage band, whatever; or just find some people that you can depend on to jam with at least twice a week. But, you gotta want to do it. :wink:
TheSquareRootOfElvis

This happens to alot of people at some time or other ( it happens to me every couple of weeks!). Best advice I can give is to look around for inspiration. Try listening to different kinds of music, different kinds of guitar players. Change your approach, don't force yourself to play things you feel you "should" play, play what you enjoy. If you're practicing alot of scales, forget them for a while and start playing rhythm, learn songs that you like, have fun, use the guitar as a means to write songs rather than an end in itself.

If that fails, do what i did - a few years ago I got sick of guitar, sick of hearing/playing the same old cheesy guitar licks over and over again....I bought a bass! Now when I'm fed up with guitar wanking I grab the bass and groove. After playing bass for a while you feel refreshed when you come back to the guitar ( and that thin guitar neck feels so teeny in your big butch bass player hands!). Of course, it doesn't have to be bass , you could play keyboards or some other instrument.

Plus, despite what others may say, don't be scared to take a break from the instrument, every year Larry Carlton makes a point of not touching the guitar for a period of several weeks. He feels it keeps him fresh. Jeff Beck sometimes doesn't play for months. Sure you have to catch up a bit when you start playing again, but if it keeps your interest it's better than forcing yourself to play and being miserable - life's too short for that.

Anyway, try it, try what the other guys have said....find what works for you. Otherwise, take up tennis!.....there's more to life than playing guitar.....really!
Christophar

I say...

try another instument like "TheSquareRootOfElvis" sugests

try a differnt style

jam with some people

learn some new stuff

take a break for awile and then go back to it

sting your guitar backwards and see what happens

and if all else fails get a sex change
NeeWhan

Rakuku wrote:
DiMarzio wrote:This is a comon problem for musicians (at least the ones i know)..
I just don't have the drive to anymore. I know I should, and I know I WANT to, but that just doesn't cut it. I dunno what's wrong with me.
If you don't know what's wrong with you...how do you know that's wrong?

It may neither be right or wrong...just what is happening at the moment.

Can you see the limitation of understanding now?

The mind fucking hates this, but cannot deny what~is.

Just be.

NeeWhan.
Animal 06

i havent met a guitarist yet who hasnt yet had a problem like this (in the long rub of course)....we arn't all Jonh Petrucci :D

Some others in this forum have stated that you have to challenge yourself on the instrument so as not to get stuck in a rut....or even lose total interest.

Maybe try....
i) Expanding into a musical area that you have not yet explored i.e a metal head may look at jazz!
ii) try playing your instrument/guitar in a different environment to what you are used to....for example take your acoustic (and maybe a few brews) to the park and sit and play....this may increase your inspiration
iii) write a song about a girl (or boy) :D
iv) play with others (not only on the guitar :shock: )
Jahovasnout
Banned

Quit
Magnifico

I think that everyone encounters same problem sometime...
There's many ways to get through it, it all depends on what type of a person you are heheh..
I personally get really bored if I do the same thing over and over, so For example I used to learn on my own just by ear, after a while I got sick of if and I needed something diffrent to "challenge me" or "teach me" in a diffrent way, so i picked up and watched some guitar instructional videos, after i had enough of that I opend a book and went through it from the begining until the point I couldnt even get myself to open it anymore, so I went back to being self tought, and so on and so on.

Basicly just try diffrent methods of learning.
mi2tom

Jahovasnout wrote:Quit
what ?!?!?! that's disturbing :(