Keepin' in Guitar Shape!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Animal 06

Heya all....im new to these forums :oops: .....how is evry1? :D

Ive been playin guitar for 'bout 7 years now, and i still love it more than anything....but as of late i havent played in over a week.....compared to when i used too pick up the instrument every day!!

Just after some advice on keepin the spark alive (sounds like i need relationship counselling!) with the instrument and some of the techniques and things you guys do when you havent played in a while?

Cheers..........Animal....grrrrr!
:twisted:
precario

Yo, first of all, welcome mate, second, I dunno how to respond to your question since I'm not picking up my guitar and playing much these weeks, but I still love it, just like you ;). Maybe someone will help us.
knarfzednem

welcome to the forum!
actually, it can be a pretty good thing to take a break from playing for a while. sometimes, when i haven't played for a couple of days, i'll go back and notice a few things. my muscles will be a bit more relaxed, making it easier to play. and any rut i was in before will be gone. i'll come back to the guitar and my mind will be refreshed.
jemvan

knarfzednem "actually, it can be a pretty good thing to take a break from playing for a while. sometimes, when i haven't played for a couple of days, i'll go back and notice a few things. my muscles will be a bit more relaxed, making it easier to play. and any rut i was in before will be gone. i'll come back to the guitar and my mind will be refreshed."

Totally agree
user112

I have always been playing an instrument (not guitar.. that's a 'new' thing for me) but it isn't bad to let it rest for a few days.
Jemvan is right about the 'freshness' you get with not playing if you're in a rut.
When you play compulsively it isn't gonna do you any good.
Live isn't just about having to play everyday.. but if you want to it's okay ,anyway.
Just don't feel bad if you're not in the mood for a couple of days (hell ,even a couple of weeks)
When I was a kid I was forced to play my instrument every day.. my parents and especially my granddad sucked the fun out of making music and layed a guilt-trip on me and as a result of that I thought 'screw you all' and I quitted for almost ten years.
So it's better to not play a couple of weeks then to not play for 10 years.
Big Bad Bill

I was in exactly the same situation as you a few months ago, but now i can't put my guitar down! I simply searched for a good guitar teacher and when I found him, I booked weekly lessons. My playing's improved several fold and feel like a more rounded player (that could be the stilton I ate over Christmas!) and I'm new enthused!

Think about it?
Animal 06

thanx for your replies....(others dont stop if ya have somthine to add :D )

let it be known im gonna rip it up tomorrow on the ye olde Gtar for a few hours!! :twisted:

ill report back on how it goes.. (thats of your interested :wink: lol)

Peace, love and happiness!!

Animal......grrrrrr...... :twisted:
St.Anger4u
Newcomer

i play 23h per day. 1hour is for shitting. i eat nothing, just water.
now i weight 77 pounds... this is better for playing fast because i have less air drag
TheSquareRootOfElvis

St.Anger4u wrote:i play 23h per day. 1hour is for shitting. i eat nothing, just water.
now i weight 77 pounds... this is better for playing fast because i have less air drag
You don't eat yet you shit for an hour??

You know you can practice while you're shitting. I usually improvise on a V7 chord with alterations to increase tension for the build up then...aahhhh....tonic major 7 on the release. It really feel the music that way.
Christophar

jemvan wrote:knarfzednem "actually, it can be a pretty good thing to take a break from playing for a while. sometimes, when i haven't played for a couple of days, i'll go back and notice a few things. my muscles will be a bit more relaxed, making it easier to play. and any rut i was in before will be gone. i'll come back to the guitar and my mind will be refreshed."

Totally agree
I agree.

Going back to guitar after a break really helps refresh your mind and think of new ideas. Another thing I found usful is to play other instruments besides guitar. It gives you new musical ideas that you can aply to the guitar (or your instrument of choice).

Well it works for me atleast...
Animal 06

Heya all....

I finally sat down and had a play for a few hours today!! Hurrah :D
took me a while to warm up ripped through some Metallica tracks and had a jam wit a G3 album (eric johnson)....well tried to at least.

Ended the session with some two hand tapping stuff.....ya know like satriani does on a few tracks......but slower and wit an arseload of delay :shock: emotional stuff

Wans the best session, but fun none the less.

Animal......grrrrrrrr........ :wink: