Steve's Sweep

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Message
Author
Rakuku
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:54 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.
Contact:

Steve's Sweep

#1 Post by Rakuku » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:20 pm

Has anyone noticed Steve's always using this guy?

(pattern)

----------8-11---------------
--------9------------------
-----10---------------------
---8-----------------------
--------------------------
--------------------------

mi2tom
Member
Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:35 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Re: Steve's Sweep

#2 Post by mi2tom » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:50 pm

Rakuku wrote:Has anyone noticed Steve's always using this guy?

(pattern)

----------8-11---------------
--------9------------------
-----10---------------------
---8-----------------------
--------------------------
--------------------------
yeap it's true :mrgreen:

GrazZ
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 pm

#3 Post by GrazZ » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:54 pm

all the time, looks to be his fav

petethegreat
Member
Member
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:48 am
Location: Shropshire U.K

#4 Post by petethegreat » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:18 pm

Its a great sweep to do, fairly easy too

GuitarAlien7
Member
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 am
Location: Suburbs of Chicago, IL

#5 Post by GuitarAlien7 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:06 am

cool pattern 8)

Splish
Member
Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 am

#6 Post by Splish » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 pm

I think you'll also find he uses two other ones as well. Check out the three string sweep at the end of the Fire Garden Suite and the five string shape (which is similar to the four string sweep transcribed above) in the solo section to Building the Church :)

User avatar
llamahead
Member
Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: rio rancho, new mexico
Contact:

#7 Post by llamahead » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Splish wrote:I think you'll also find he uses two other ones as well. Check out the three string sweep at the end of the Fire Garden Suite and the five string shape (which is similar to the four string sweep transcribed above) in the solo section to Building the Church :)
yeah, you beat me to it. i was gonna say "building the church" and it's the same going back down at the end of the slide :wink:

ibzguitarist
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:17 am

#8 Post by ibzguitarist » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:07 pm

It's a great pattern, at least this way you don't have to memorize tons of sweep patterns every time you learn a Vai song with sweep sections. :)

Roger
Member
Member
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 8:59 pm
Location: Sweden

#9 Post by Roger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:44 am

llamahead wrote:
Splish wrote:I think you'll also find he uses two other ones as well. Check out the three string sweep at the end of the Fire Garden Suite and the five string shape (which is similar to the four string sweep transcribed above) in the solo section to Building the Church :)
yeah, you beat me to it. i was gonna say "building the church" and it's the same going back down at the end of the slide :wink:
But it is so secret that if you told us you'd have to kill us?

TheCentralScrutinizer
Newcomer
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:39 pm

#10 Post by TheCentralScrutinizer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 am

Its used a lot in FLOG too i think

budt
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:11 am
Location: In the woods, Pennsylvania

#11 Post by budt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:02 am

On closer inspection, its even more ingenious than one would think. Steve "invented" a way to play extended harmony all over the neck with just one grip, sweeping and leading with the pinky. Once you know the secret, you can play extended harmony (in any key) without even knowing the theory!

Example in E minor:

Play open D string and hammer with index finger to 2nd fret for barre.

Barre that grip on fret 2 - "Em9"
- sweep through and hammer pinky to 5th fret; slide pinky to 10th, for a reverse sweep (see next step)

Barre that grip on fret 7 - "Em11"
- lift pinky and reverse sweep; slide index (which is barring) to 9th fret

Barre that grip on fret 9 - "Em13"
- sweep back through and hammer pinky to fret 12

Slide pinky to 17th fret and trill 12-17 for nice touch.

(...... grip ........ pinky ...... grip . index . grip ...... pinky)

-------------2------5-----10---7------------------9-----12----17--12-17-12----
-----------3-----------------------8------------10---------------------------------
---------4---------------------------9--------11-----------------------------------
----0--2-------------------------------7----9--------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-0---------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-
NOTE: He transposes this idea to E major for a sweep lick in the outro of Big Trouble.

(I think he may have stumbled upon this idea while studying Frank Zappa's Zoot Allures, although in that song the grips change as you go up the neck. :wink: )

User avatar
llamahead
Member
Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: rio rancho, new mexico
Contact:

#12 Post by llamahead » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 am

Roger wrote:
llamahead wrote:
Splish wrote:I think you'll also find he uses two other ones as well. Check out the three string sweep at the end of the Fire Garden Suite and the five string shape (which is similar to the four string sweep transcribed above) in the solo section to Building the Church :)
yeah, you beat me to it. i was gonna say "building the church" and it's the same going back down at the end of the slide :wink:
But it is so secret that if you told us you'd have to kill us?
possibly . . . . . . :twisted:

Splish
Member
Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 am

#13 Post by Splish » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am

budt wrote:On closer inspection, its even more ingenious than one would think. Steve "invented" a way to play extended harmony all over the neck with just one grip, sweeping and leading with the pinky. Once you know the secret, you can play extended harmony (in any key) without even knowing the theory!
I'm glad someone has explained this to me. It makes so much sense! And of course makes me realise how brilliant Steve actually is.

Roger
Member
Member
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 8:59 pm
Location: Sweden

#14 Post by Roger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:20 pm

budt wrote:Steve "invented" a way to play extended harmony all over the neck with just one grip,
What you're really saying is that he is one lazy bastard? :mrgreen:

budt
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:11 am
Location: In the woods, Pennsylvania

#15 Post by budt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Roger wrote:
budt wrote:Steve "invented" a way to play extended harmony all over the neck with just one grip,
What you're really saying is that he is one lazy bastard? :mrgreen:
No, not at all. I think its brilliant. Only those jazz elitists who drown themselves in matrices of even tempered thirds (with an ionian bias) would say that! This is much more open. Of course, its hard to use this idea without sounding just like Steve, himself. But therein lies a challenge ...

Post Reply