Help with strings... Trem... =\

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
KirkVai_JumperMan

K... Here's my question... I'm gonna be getting an Ibanez Jem *Drools* later on and was wondering about changing the strings on it. What's different? I know it's got the lockdown bar things. You know... I was reading an earlier one from a few months ago about some guy needing help with his trem. He spent like an hour and the string broke. Anyways a reply to that was...

"1.Depress the bar (drop the pitch of the installed strings.)
2.Stick a properly spaced shim between some stable part of the floyd and the body so that the base of the Floyd is level with the body and the bottom of the strings the desired height over the fingerboard.
3.Tighten the springs in back about 1-2 turns.
4.Tune every string up to pitch (with the bridge cranked down against the body or the spring cavity, the other pitches shouldn't detune while you're tuning up new strings) Yank on/tune the individual strings a bit until they don't detune when you yank them.
Be careful not to damage the string by stretching it too hard or,.
A) the shim will fall out, or
B) you could distort the dimensions of the string, making it impossible
to intonate correctly, or
C) you could break the string.
5.Loosen the spring-screws equally until the shim under the Floyd can be pulled out with just a little friction.
6.Fine tune the high and low E's manipulating only the bridge spring screws.
7.Fine tune all strings. It should take about 15 min to change a set of strings on a floyd "

Now I know the Jem isn't a floyd it's a EdgePro... Is there anything differen't I have to do? I've only had one guitar (my first) that had a trem, and I never used it or even knew it had one till like a year ago *laughs*. But it was a strat so I guess that doesn't count. lol. Any help would be appreciated. Even telling me, "You're a flippin moron, go play the triangle" or w/e :) Thanks! Take care.

- Tommy
Amano

KirkVai_JumperMan

LOL thanks :)

- Tommy
Amano

You're welcome! A forum search might also help next time. ;)