Chord Theory help please

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Chord Theory help please

#1 Post by SPQR » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:45 am

Hey all im just havin a slight dilemma here i want to know if i have a chord progression which is in the key of C MAJOR, is it correct for me to take the notes of the chord (the ROOT, 3rd and 5th) and place them in the progresion so that would make the progression, C,E,G .

And for soloing purposes is it also correct for me to target notes of each chord such as the root, 3rd and 5th and possibly even the 7th.

Say for example the C chord is just about over and movin onto the E could i bend a C Up to pitch to make it a E and land in time with that E chord, what i want to know is would that sort of thing fit into the progresion. Please correct me if im wrong, and explain to me ...thanks all

Cleggy
Member
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Chord Theory help please

#2 Post by Cleggy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:07 am

fortheloveofgod wrote:Hey all im just havin a slight dilemma here i want to know if i have a chord progression which is in the key of C MAJOR, is it correct for me to take the notes of the chord (the ROOT, 3rd and 5th) and place them in the progresion so that would make the progression, C,E,G .
I assume you mean C major, E major, G major.

In the key of C major, (I ii iii IV V vi vii* - C d e F G a b c*)
* = diminished)

E would have a flat 3rd, so you would probably use E minor (etc..)
G would be Ok as G major.

If your wondering whether C, Em, G works - thats personal artistic creativity freedom
fortheloveofgod wrote: And for soloing purposes is it also correct for me to target notes of each chord such as the root, 3rd and 5th and possibly even the 7th.
When soloing over the key of C major, you can use any of the notes C D E F G A B. Its said that the 3rd 4th and 5th are the strongest notes of the lot though.
fortheloveofgod wrote: Say for example the C chord is just about over and movin onto the E could i bend a C Up to pitch to make it a E and land in time with that E chord, what i want to know is would that sort of thing fit into the progresion. Please correct me if im wrong, and explain to me ...thanks all
Again, entirely up to you. If you think it works, great - youve got a solo. If not, think of something else. Just cause you're playing over Em, your still in the key of C major though, not E minor.
Hope this helps.

SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

xs

#3 Post by SPQR » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:21 am

hi u mentained that the 3rd, 4th n 5th are strongest, what about the roots..????x

Cleggy
Member
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 am
Location: UK
Contact:

#4 Post by Cleggy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:30 am

ok then,

the Root too!

wholetone
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: New York

#5 Post by wholetone » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:39 pm

hey...anyone know a good technique on how to play notes outside the chord ? I find this sound fascinating.

Vegas_Blues
Member
Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:59 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

#6 Post by Vegas_Blues » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:48 am

Hey all im just havin a slight dilemma here i want to know if i have a chord progression which is in the key of C MAJOR, is it correct for me to take the notes of the chord (the ROOT, 3rd and 5th) and place them in the progresion so that would make the progression, C,E,G
This is quite a confusing paragraph. You want to know if you have a C major progression......so you took the notes of the chord...(the 1st, 3rd and fifth notes, or the triad).....and place them in the progression? you mean place the single notes, C E and G in the progression? This is where you begin to confuse me on your question.

SalamanderExcess
Member
Member
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Stirling, Scotland

#7 Post by SalamanderExcess » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:53 am

Everything works if it sounds good.

vincef
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Contact:

#8 Post by vincef » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:39 pm

this is weird - recently all of this theory sense just started making sense to me and i can solo all up and down the fretboard... just clicked all of a sudden

did this happen to anyone else before? i was gonna answer but the first reply answered his question how i was going to

jmchambers5
Member
Member
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:06 pm
Location: memphis, tn
Contact:

Re: xs

#9 Post by jmchambers5 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:27 pm

fortheloveofgod wrote:hi u mentained that the 3rd, 4th n 5th are strongest, what about the roots..????x
Roots are boring, and odds are the bass player is already playing it so you're not adding anything colorwise to the music.

Post Reply