how long you guy`s play with the same pick?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
jemgirl

i wonder.
i see steve and others trow away there pick in the middle of a song.
whats wrong with it? damaged? sound not good anymore?
so, my question is, how long do you play with the same pick?
why this question??
well picks here in the netherlands are a little expencive imo,you know i like to play those ibanez steve vai picks and they cost me about 0,90 eurocent.
i`m absolutly no shredder,but i like to play as fast as i can,so i`m really speeding around my fredboard,and that my vai-friends,cost me a lot of picks hahaha.

patricia
Big Bad Bill

90 eurocents is cheap!

I get rid of mine when the point becomes a blunt/too rough.
Sammy Pilve
Newcomer

Hello..you can get those picks that cheap??in Finland those steve vai(i use pink ones)picks costs like a 1euro..oh man.. :D anyway you know i play like 8-10 hours everyday and one pick lasts about month in my case.It depends on how you keep your pick in your fingers and how the pick hits the strings etc. but when you see people throwing away their picks at concerts it's because they're too drunk to keep it between the fingers or it's just cool to throw your signature picks to the audience you know? So usually it's for the fans those lucky ones will have a chance to have the pick which has actually been played like for example Steve Vai!! I was lucky when whitesnake was in my town doing a gig 'cause I got Doug Aldrich's pick!!! :D
b2

I believe I have had some of my pick for maybe a year :D

The reason Steve Vai and others throw their picks is
1. If you drag it down the neck/string to make that sound effect the
pick can get cuts/marks. (not good explained but I think you understand?)

2. It looks cool to throw picks and the fans want them

3. If you play hard of course the pick could get some damage so it is
ok to change pick for every song or something.

I believe thin picks are more easy to damage than thick ones.
I use Jim Dunlop Stubby 3.0 mm and they can last for a month if
you play alot and a year if you practice once a week :wink:
thelordofcheesecake

I use Jim Dunlop Jazz IIIs (black), and I like to change them every couple of days just so they have that really fresh feeling. I buy bulk, so I saved quite a lot of moolah on picks.
ernzzz

i keep loosing em in unexpected places... and then find em months or years after... its like watchin an old friend again.. :P
j.arledge

the only time i use a new pick is when i loose the one i got. I have had the same 4 picks for probably 9 or 10 months at least , i use dunlop jazz 3 s the nylon red ones. I love them and they dont break or wear out on the tips.
fyrie

I've been using the same pick for about 3 years now. It's a Cymbolic brand pick, which is made out of metal. It's just starting to get worn, so I'm going to order up a few more. I'm totally amazed that I haven't lost it yet.
Penelope

about every 3 hours of play I have to discard my pick. It gets really rounded at the tip. I use a heavy pick. The purple ones that are a little powdery with the turtle on them. They are my favorite ones as far as feeling goes.
Cleggy

Id av thought steve throws his picks when he goes to play fingerstyle, say hes playing chords and cant quite mute the unwanted strings. Thats what i do anyway. Its quicker just throw it in the crowd and get another one then put it down and pick it up.
Shade

Penelope wrote:about every 3 hours of play I have to discard my pick. It gets really rounded at the tip. I use a heavy pick. The purple ones that are a little powdery with the turtle on them. They are my favorite ones as far as feeling goes.
How the %)(#* do you wear those things out in only 3 hours? I hope I'm not thinking of the same kind of pick...if not then dear lord how hard are you picking the strings!??! :wink: .

My personal favorite are the tear-drop shaped thin peavey picks. If I didn't always lose picks, they would probably last for 2-3 years or more! I pick extremely lightly. Unfortunently the local store stopped carrying them for some odd reason...guess I need to go on a pick hunt eh?
Cleggy

i used to love them purple ones, Purple Ronnie I used to call em. now I use the yellow ones, called Mellow Yellow. That sounds reeeeeally sad but im joking.
Bono

b2 wrote:I believe I have had some of my pick for maybe a year :D

The reason Steve Vai and others throw their picks is
1. If you drag it down the neck/string to make that sound effect the
pick can get cuts/marks. (not good explained but I think you understand?)

2. It looks cool to throw picks and the fans want them

3. If you play hard of course the pick could get some damage so it is
ok to change pick for every song or something.

I believe thin picks are more easy to damage than thick ones.
I use Jim Dunlop Stubby 3.0 mm and they can last for a month if
you play alot and a year if you practice once a week :wink:
Plus the fact that they get them for free lol
Balex the Shizzle

i generally play til i lose them, or they get too knackerd, different picks of mine are better for different things

finding old picks is fun, it is like an old friend

the latest one i found was at a campsite, i went there last year, dropped it, n found it again this year! what are the chances.

lost it again now tho...
saxaxe

I only switch picks when I lose them. I play hard, but for one thing, I have very little money, and yes, even picks and strings can give me trouble, and I also can very rarely get a ride to the music store.