EASY as it looks?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

What is your general comfort level when playing guitar?

I'm always in a zen state
3%
3%
3%
3%
I play well but always feel strangly cumbersome no matter how easy the part is
11%
11%
11%
11%
11%
11%
11%
11%

Total votes: 200
Penelope

When I play the rythym section of a song or the simplest chord prog.... or whatever, I feel like, wow this is really unnatural and clumsy feeling. It may sound totally tight and my posturing is fine but I have this strange physical battle with every note, almost like at any moment the frets will jump off of the frettboard and run away on me. It can be almost nightmarish. I look comfortable playing and sound confident from what my peers tell me but I feel inferior and forced. It probably is tied in somewhat to not letting go like some can do when they improvise but my personality makes me demand of myself the best I can offer up and nothing else. I always seem to play right at the edge of my own personal envelope, but like I said before ,... even the simplest things make me feel strangly like I'm at the edge of my envelope. It's like I feel one step away , one micro second away from loosing control over my playing and screwing up no matter how easy the part is or isn't. IS ANYONE ELSE like this?
guitar player
Newcomer

When I play the guitar I just go totaly into the music. its like I am just entranced in the song Sometimes it takes longer to get warmed up but I always feel right at home when ever I play even if I make mistakes
Wapo
Newcomer

I have a similar issue. When I play my leads they always sound slightly out of time and very rigid, but when I hear it played back from a recording it sounds very smooth and in time. I think it's my perfectionist mentality, nothing ever sounds good enough too me when I'm playing it, but others listening say it sounds perfect.
thelordofcheesecake

There's the "zen state" and then there's the "Zen state". I would say I'm in the zen state 95% of the time. I usually feel very relaxed and comfortable with my playing - even on stage performing, I guess I'm lucky like that; and as a mainly improv player I just let the music take me.

Truly, I've only achieved the Zen thing once. I was playing a 4 song set (Surfin', Cryin', Summer Song, and FTLOG) at home in preparation for a show I had, not too long ago. I was completely in tune with the music, totally in the zone, EVERYTHING felt perfect, there were a couple of flubs but I was that into it that it didn't matter. By the end of FTLOG I was literally in tears from the emotional connection with the music, it was truly a transcendental experience, one that will probably never be the same, but with luck I'll get to a similar state again.
Tramp

Wow Penelope I totally feel what you're saying!! I play mostly solos, improvising, etc. and I feel totally confortable with my playing, I feel I'm in total control of what I'm doing and where I want to go...but, the minute I switch to playing rhythm I start to feel very insecure with my playing...like this really simple thing is gonna make me screw up (and sometimes does!).
I personally think when I play lead or solos I'm much more in touch with the music and I'm therefore more relaxed...the minute I start something more rigid, I myself start to feel more tense...it's something weird I know...used to think I was the only one with that problem :P

we should learn from this guy, he seems to have the hang of it! :guitar

Cheers :D
shyboy12

Man, I'm in exactly the same position as you guys. I'm always really cool with playing improvised leads and solos. But, when it comes to maintaining a simple rhythm or a chord progression I always feel so unnatural and as if I'm about to screw up any second (and often do).
saxaxe

I'm actually quite the opposite. When I play, I feel like I'm nailing everything and it's so easy, but when I listen to a recording, it's not nearly as smooth or clean as it sounds to me when I'm playing. I've gotten alot better with it, though. I dont have any more trouble with lead or rythm, though.
Penelope

Actually it's not only when I do simple things that I feel this way , it's for anything I'm playing , solos, simple, hard, rythym, chords, fingerpicking, ect.......
James W

Cool as a 'cumber 8)
Penelope

No you're not
James W

Penelope wrote:No you're not
Ooohhhhhhhh yes I am!
Penelope

Ok then ,............. You are a cucumber,. Have it your way. :?