Top 10 Favorite Guitarists

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Jay3

Yo other guitarist. This isn't the top 10 BEST it's your top 10 FAVORITE. Keep that in Mind.

These would be mine(in no perticular order)
-Steve Vai (Amazing emotion, while still having incredible chops)
-Eddie Van Halen (just plain insane)
-Randy Rhoads (Incredible mixtures of classical and Blues styles)
-Jimmy Page (Alittle out there, but still writes beautiful tunes)
-Dimebag Darrell (Wicked heavy metal blues :P )
-Yngwie Malmsteen (Speechless)
-Jimi Hendrix (May not have insane chops, but is still amazing)
-Joe Satriani (Chops,chops,emotion,chops)
-Zakk Wylde (took Randy's place and did an amazing job)
-Dave Mustaine (Awesome Thrash metal player)

so tell me who you'd like, give a reason to man :wink:
petethegreat

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Zakk Wylde
Dimebag Darrel
Paul Gilbert
Yngwie Maalmsteen
Marty Friedman
George Lynch
Randy Rhodes
Kirk Hammet
u2

The Edge
Robbie Robertson
Steve vai
Joe satriani
Eric clapton
Bob dylan
Tom Morello
John Frusicante (sp)
Andy Timmons
Slash
Real_Confusions

My friend and I were talking about this the other day. I guess this list wouldn't be that hard to construct, since it is not a real "Top Ten" (with a ranking).

I'll try to work out a ranked one and get it posted, soon.
HiddenDedication

Steve Lukather(the most versatile, creative, experienced player I know of and probably will ever do)

Joe Satriani(both extraordinary chops and so beautiful songwriting)

Steve Vai(you know why, but I find it harder to love the lot of his work as with Satriani though when Vai scores, he does it big time. It's like being hit by lightning)

Yngwie Malmsteen(he blows me away like noone else, and the only metal I can take for more than 15 minutes besides Vais strange funk metal tunes)

Eric Johnson(great violinsounding tone, sounds fresh, love his rhytmic work and interesting intervals)

Larry Carlton(genius, thinks in harmony instead of linear. The one who got me interested in jazz and fusion. I just can't cope exactly what he's doing though)

David Gilmour(No smoking tyremarks where he's gone but emotion enough to melt planets)

Mark Knopfler(I love the sound of his tone, amazing phrasing)

John Petrucci(Kinda remains me of Vai certain times, great player)

Neal Schon(I'm into the AoR, so I like that slick kind of rock, west coast type. Very melodic)
HiddenDedication

Oh how could I forget Hendrix?! :oops:
thelordofcheesecake

1. Shawn Lane (RIP) - words CANNOT describe this legend. One of a kind, and he probably had the spirit of some kind of muse inside him. If you don't know who he is, you must check him out.

2. Frank Zappa (RIP) - more a composer than a guitarist, but he had such a unique approach to playing and was instantly recognisable when playing.

3. John Petrucci - well, not so much his work on Octavarium, but he's an excellent rhythm guitarist not to mention his lead work. Check out "Under A Glass Moon" for the most tasteful shred you're likely to here, and if you think that speed can't be emotional then the solo from "Another Day" will knock your socks off.

4. Allan Holdsworth - legatoman himself. Great improviser, great tone, great legato, great songwriting... just great.

5. Steve Vai - great tapping technique, excellent songwriting, very unique and individual playing style. Whammy bar work is excellent and his contribution to the world of guitar is immense.

6. Eric Johnson - brilliant all-rounder. Very lovely tone, and tasteful playing in all situations.

7. Paul Gilbert - brilliant player, great sense of humour, insanely deep voice.

8. Joe Satriani - introduced me to virtuostic guitar playing, and whilst his legato is awesome and he's a great all-round player, I've found his work to be a little formulaic in recent years.

9. Michael Romeo - gives a very interesting spin on the whole neo-classical scene and seems to be very melodic, whilst still retaining jaw dropping technique.

10. Jeff Beck - innovator extraordinaire. Great vocal guitar playing, great tone, great feel. "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" on Blow By Blow says it all.
BobDaNob

First and foremost,

Joe Satriani. Incredible sense of melody, execution and ideas. My favorite songwriting guitarist.

Steve Vai - Unbelievable technique, unbelievable wellspring of ideas and writes incredibly cool, interesting and original songs. My favorite extreme guitarist.

John Petrucci - Great all-around guitarist. Great rhythms, great leads and great songwriting. My favorite prog guitarist.

Jason Becker - Mind-boggling. Had the potential to rival Vai in sheer technical ferocity. Was a sophisticated musical genius, as evidenced by his masterpiece 'Air'. My favorite neoclassical guitarist.

James Hetfield - The God of Metal. NO ONE has ever written better metal rhythms. Period. The tone, the attack, the ideas...he owns us all. My favorite rhythm guitarist.

Randy Rhoads - The Father of modern metal. He ushered in a new age of virtuosic heavy metal, seamlessly melding scorching classical ideas with well-written classic metal riffs. Blackmore started it, but Randy perfected it.

Theodore Ziras.

Tony MacAlpine.

Kenny Hickey.

Does Billy Sheehan count? :P
imbetterthanstevevai
Newcomer

In no particular order:

Steve Vai (unbelievable)
Yngwie Malmsteen (saw him last week stood at the front)
Joe Satriani (brilliant technique and melodies)
Zakk Wylde (going to see him this week)
Angus Young (not for technical ability but for his riffs)
Paul Gilbert
Slash
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Hobophobic

Never really thought about it, I'm sure I'm leaving out somebody that should be on my list but just off the top of my head:

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Jeff Beck
David Gilmour
Frank Zappa
Allan Holdsworth
Jimi Hendrix
Peter Lindgren
Brian May
Eddie Van Halen (actually I don't like much since he parted ways with Roth but he was the reason I started playing so I gotta include him here)
munchocruncho

Steve vai
Zappa
Dave weiner

Those are the only guys i listen to...i havent listened to anyone else in a year. :oops:
Skyscraper

Joe Satriani - I just slightly prefer his music to Vai's. If I'm listening to both, because Vai is more diverse I find he maintains my interest for a longer period, but I'm more impressed with Joe's songwriting consistency - I just think he has a knack for putting his talents towards helping his ear for a catchy tune, whereas Vai isn't just looking to do that, he's looking to explore and do different things. However, second place still goes to...

Steve Vai - Hidden Dedication's 'struck by lightning' description is very good. I find Vai's music sometimes hit (mostly hit for my tastes these days) and sometimes miss. I think the key to liking someone's playing though isn't that you have to like every single thing they do, but that when they do something that isn't to your tastes, you can at least see why they would do it and understand their perspective to do what they just did. I feel I'm there now with Vai, although it took me longer to 'get' his solo music than was the case with Satriani who is pretty much instantly accessible.

Eddie Van Halen - I'm only really a fan of the David Lee Roth era Van Halen stuff but what he does on there is fantastic. It's not totally formulaic but there is definitely a sense of tune and melody about his playing. Also, although he's technically a 'flashy' player, his stuff is more attemptable than the average guitarist might think, so that's quite enjoyable to play some of his stuff.

Marty Friedman - His sense of melody and care that he puts into his playing really impresses me. I love his solo stuff including his work with Jason Becker (it's very hard to separate those two as well), but he really is very versatile in terms of how he can apply his playing to different styles of music. He can wail on Hangar 18, get emotional on Namida or technologically oodly-doodly about on Music For Speeding. Fantastic stuff.

Dimebag Darrell - Great at simple things that made great songs as well as being able to do the flashy stuff for lead parts. His lead playing is actually very reminiscent of Satriani for me in terms of technique, even though they play on very different music. He can actually tone down the haviness when he wants to - I think a song like Cemetary Gates shows plenty of diversity not just from Phil Anselmo on vocals but also from Dimebag's playing - his solo on that song is very tasteful I think. Fantastic player. Out of interest, listen to the bluesy into to the solo he does on 'No Good (Attack The Radical)', then listen to the bluesy into to Steve Vai's solo on 'The Attitude Song'. Spooky! Anyone else noticed this?

Stevie Ray Vaughan - I'm not sure if he should be above Malmsteen but for the sake of his tunes as much as the actual playing, he is. A great blues player who manages to make blues sound more divese without changing it into blues rock or straying from just playing blues. Technically very good, has a good ear for a tune and is very enjoyable to listen to, I think.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Here's a case where the guitar playing has to be separated from the music. The vocals on a lot of Yngwie's songs annoy me or just put me off his music, but I still have about half a dozen of his releases, plus his instructional video for the REM Masters series, just on the strength of his playing on there. Besides his sweep picking and alternate picking, his vibrato is very expressive, one of my favourite things about his playing, while his blues is also an aspect of his guitar skills that isn't showcased so much but is fantastic. His playing can still get old fast but when you're in the mood for it there's nothing like it, a bit like many people would say about blues players in fact. He'd be third or fourth if he just mixed things up a bit more, rather than using the same aspects of his playing almost all of the time, which is why a lot of his music can get old fast while so many other aspects of his playing at which he is actually really good go unnoticed because he doesn't much use them.

Stanley Jordan - I just love what he does. It's very original and intelligent. While it's true that doing some cover versions in this style (Eleanor Rigby and Stairway To Heaven being the two I can remember right now) is just a bit gimmicky, it's still quite interesting to watch and hear while his talent shines through on his own songs. Between him and the more rock-orientated technical equivalent of Jennifer Batten, it's almost enough to make you cross-eyed.

Jimi Hendrix - Fantastic rhythm player. Could do rockier stuff but his more laid back approach on 'Axis: Bold As Love' is where I've most enjoyed his playing. There are enough people to champion the Hendrix cause so I don't feel obliged to go into any more detail than that.

Angus Young - Sometimes I just want no-brains, no-nonsense rock and his blues-influenced playing is certainly that. I just enjoy it, without being over-analytical of it.

Honourable mentions go to Ritchie Blackmore (who should probably be above Angus Young in fact, but it's tough to narrow it to ten people), Jason Becker of course, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson (fantastic in Thin Lizzy and Motörhead), the Iron Maiden boys (Murray and Smith more so for the eighties material), Alex Skolnick, David Gilmour and the aforementioned Jennifer Batten. I'm sure there are many other I'm forgetting as well but there it is.
Last edited by Skyscraper on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saxaxe

In no particular order:

Steve Vai: Just mind-blowing. He has some of the best chops I've seen and can put so much emotion into his music. The first song of his I heard was Die to Live and I was immediately hooked. Songs like Die to Live, Km Pee Du We, Giant Balls of Gold, and I Know You're Here are really Steve's specialty, I feel. They really capture his signature tone and feel. However, his other types of songs captivate me just as much. Epic songs such as the Fire Garden suite, Heavier songs like Midway Creatures and Bad Horsie. He can just impress me to no end. And to top it all off, he has a great voice. The only thing I find strange is that many of his songs, such as Dying for your Love and Essence, take a while for me to like. At first listen I really dont like them, but they eventually become my favorites.

Eric Johnson: Same as Steve, amazing chops and so much emotion. He cares so much about his tone that EVERYTHING has to be perfect. I swear he has OCD, but it really shows in his playing. He has the best tone of any players out there, I think. I havent listened to much of his stuff, but I love songs such as Desert Rose, Manhattan, Get to Go, and of course, Cliffs of Dover.

Joe Satriani: I was first attracted to Joe when I heard that it was him who had taught Steve Vai how to play guitar. Unlike Steve, most of Joe's songs are very similar. He doesnt experiment quite as much. This has its upsides and downsides. Theres no songs of his that I hear and think, "What the hell is this?" But I really think if he tried, Joe could really shine if he tried other things like Vai does. This is not to say he doesnt have diversity in his music, though. The first song I heard of his was Satch Boogie. Once again, a great song to introduce me to Joe. Its not too hard to play, but damn fun. Its one of the only shred songs that the general public can tolerate.

Adam Jones: One of the most underrated guitarists. ever. For those who don't know, he plays for Tool. Although not a virtuoso like the others I mentioned, he is just as impressive to me. The mood and feeling he can set for a song is great. Songs like Eulogy and Lateralus really display what I'm talking about.

Dimebag Darrell: I was first introduced to Pantera about a year ago with the song Floods. Although his playing wasnt extraordinarily impressive (chops-wise) The pure emotion in the ending solo had me instantly hooked. He could write the heaviest riffs, the bluesiest riffs, and the most emotional riffs all with ease. He also could play just as well as the others Ive mentioned. Solos from songs such as Walk and Cowboys from Hell really display this.

Ken Susi and Buz McGrath: I saw Unearth in concert before I had ever really listened to their music. I had just started to enjoy metalcore and I really thought that guitarists kind of sat in the shadows for most hardcore/metalcore, but boy did they prove me wrong. Throughout the concert, I was baffled at their ability to incorporate almost virtuosity into their music. Songs like One Step Away show this the best.

Jimi Hendrix: How can you forget Jimi? He was the first virtuoso. The first guitarist to really show what can be done with a guitar. He brought attention to the instrument. His songs had great variation. Little Wing, Red House, and Fire are my personal favorites.

Jason Becker: I just recently started to listen to his music, but Im extremely impressed. I have heard Altitudes, Air, and one other...cant remember which... :? ....but I really like it. He reminds me of Vai at times in Altitudes.

Oh well...thats all I can think of/have time for now.[/b]
j1mi_h3ndrix

Steve Vai
Randy Rhoads
Kirk Hammet
John Petricci
Dimebag Darrel
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix(hence the s/n)
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani
Slash
Jay3

alot of these seem to be the same which is wicket :wink: but I'm suprised Hammett showed up man.I love Metallica but not as much James than Hammett.James's Rhythm playing is deadly