Feathers

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
V41

Does anyone have a tab for this song?
theox

V41 wrote:Does anyone have a tab for this song?
Do it yourself. The song ain't that difficult.
theox

You'll learn so much more from transcribing yourself than from memorizing finger patterns.
theox

Don't be lazy! Just do it! You can! And you'll benefit from it! Why not? :idea:
theox

(I'm always enthusiastic about getting an aspiring musician off tabs and into the world of the ear! :lol:)
Andelusion

Talk about spam..

You can just edit your post, you know?
theox

I know I can and I thought about it afterwards but I think multiple messages like I did represents my enthusiasm about the subject pretty well.

I think Tab is like diapers or having 'extra wheels' on your bicycle, it's something that one should try to get rid of as soon as possible. I know - I rode the 'tabcycle' my first four years as a guitarist.

Some things to think about:

1. I seldom play anything the way someone has tabbed something, I prefer to use my own fingerings. When I started, I didn't even think about it, I just memorized finger positions (= next to no ear training = development as a musician).

2. There's no rhytmic information in tab. I hate it when a student brings me a tab sheet of something I haven't heard before. There's simply not enough information to play music, only fingerings for guitar.

3. Have you tried handing tab to your piano player?

4. Tab is good for some specific things, things that need to be played in certain fingerings.

5. It's hard to read staff and it kills your creativity as a musician (at least that's what I thougt). Sure it's hard - in the beginning - but it's so much more 'fun' to be able to look at a paper and hear how it sounds than to look at a bunch of fingerings. And.. if your ear is developed enough to 'hear' how tab sounds... well.. what the heck do you need tab for?? And sure it's quite boring if you don't do anything but sight-reading, but is anyone asking you to?

6. I don't need a tab to learn how to play Feathers. I can learn it by ear. There's actually not much I need any written music for as there are programs such as Transcribe! that can slow down the music so you can transcribe the fast stuff.

7. My ear began developing when I stopped using tab.

I'm sure there are lots of other good reasons. I'm sure you can think of a few right now.

And no, I don't care if you care about this and if you're going to use tab the rest of your life, but I know how much I care and how much this means to me.

EDIT: How's that for one post? :wink:
V41

That already occurred to me, but thanks. I started doing that, but I always start, get about halfway through, and go on to another song. The only ones I've finished are FTLOG and I'm Your Secrets. I think I'm going to finish learning K'm-Pee-Du-Wee and then go on to trying to figure out Feather. I know it's in E Lydian for the most part (go figure, it's Steve), so it shouldn't be too hard.

Welp. 8)
u2

is it bad to find out what the chords are for songs? I can't figure out what the chords are to a song.
V41

In Feathers, it's Emaj9, then F# major, then Ab minor, and then A major, basically.

That's just the beginning though. Not sure if that's what you wanted.
theox

u2 wrote:is it bad to find out what the chords are for songs? I can't figure out what the chords are to a song.
Figure out what the root is. Then listen for the third. Is it minor or major? Major or minor seventh? Is there more notes in the chord?