I need finger exercises for a lame finger

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
chrose1201

When I first started to learn to play oh so many moons ago I clipped the top left corner of my ring finger (as it's facing you) off with a knife slicing stale bagels improperly. Within a week I did the same thing all though not as bad to the middle finger. The middle finger healed within a week or 2. The ring finger though took a couple of months before I was able to play with it. Being that it was my formative time in playing I developed bad habits. For a few weeks I was playing primarily with my first finger and pinky. Then I could add in my middle finger, it was quite awhile before I could play with my ring finger (I wasn't as smart as Tony Iommi) Anyway this developed a life long habit of mostly using my 3 fingers and only occasionally my ring finger. Over the last several years I tried to involve my ring finger more, but I notice know that I'm trying to play more complicated stuff my ring finger seems to move somewhat spastically in coordination with my pinky. The ring finger is significantly weaker than the rest of the fingers. Hammer ons and things like that…forget it I can't hammer any faster than 1/8 notes with it. I also notice that when practicing scales that involve all 4 fingers with the nylon string the muscles in the back of my hand that support that finger fatigue fairly quickly and tighten up.
Does anyone have any type of finger exercise that can build up the strength and coordination of my ring finger independantly and or in coordination with the rest of my fingers? I appreciate any help you can offer.
Balex the Shizzle

get the vai 10 hour work out powertab from www.powertabs.net

its got some really good finger twisters
j3

Does anyone have any type of finger exercise that can build up the strength and coordination of my ring finger independantly and or in coordination with the rest of my fingers? I appreciate any help you can offer.[/quote]

Try all permutations of fingering first with fingers in a 4 fret area, then expand by putting (a)1 fret space in between the 1st and 2nd, then the (b)2nd and 3rd, then the (c)3rd and 4th, then a fret between the (d)1st and 2nd+ the 3rd and 4th. Here's and example
pattern 1 2 3 4 using frets 4567:

variation a: frets 4678 b:4578 c:4568 d:4679

The permutations are all mathematical combinations with numbers 1-4 standing for the index(1) to pinky(4) fingers and you can also use 0 as an open string which really makes you conscious of your open-string to fretted string volume. The permutation with variations b and c are going to be the most helpful for strengthening the 3rd finger. You can play the fingering anywhere on the fingerboard, starting where your fingers are comfortable and making your way down to the 1-6th frets in a few months.
Play the excercises slow and evenly making every attempt to play with as much relaxation/efficiency and the best finger posture that you can achieve. When you can pick all these combinations clean at about 120 for 16th notes, try all with pull-offs, again starting very slowly.
example:
group 1) 1234 0234 1034 1204 1230
group 2) 1243 0243 etc
group 3) 1423...
group 4) 1432...
group 5) 2314...
group 6) 2341...
group 7) 2413...
group 8) 2431...
etc. to group 24) 4312 0312 4012 4302 4310

I also recommend the Scott Tennant finger isolation excercises in the beginning of his 'Pumping Nylon' book.