Slow Sweep picking

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
SPQR

i would like to know whenever i want to improve sweep pickinh and i get told to play the separation of notes slowly, must i still slightly mute the strings with my right hand.??????
UndeadMoogle3

Yup. The muting is just as important as the synchronization.
SPQR

k thanks dude any more tips on sweep picking, do i have to include hammers and pulloffs in my slow sweeping r just the separate notes?
UndeadMoogle3

You don't have to, but I find it helps. All I can really say is practice practice practice.
dzdncnfsd

im not trying to be rude or anything here, but it seems that all of your posts are about "being able" to do things with the guitar. There is absolutely no limit as to what you can do witht he guitar. If you want to add some hammer-ons to your sweeps, who is going to stop you? The sweep police? If you want to play a note on each beat of the metronome like you asked earlier, go ahead. There is no wrong or right with music. Once again, I'm not trying to be mean or anything here. I was like this when I first started playing. Its much better to play whatever you want and what feels right rather than to waste your time trying to find out the "correct" way to do something. Good luck though.
stu_hig

This is half true, dzdncnfsd. True there should be no limit on what you can do but also practicing somthing 'wrong' may very well be majorly hindering your preformance or mabye even causing injury.
ernzzz

" who is going to stop you?"

The Health Autorities! :twisted:
SPQR

hey thank you stu-hig, and the other guy i know perfectly well what your saying, however i do play things the way i wanna play them and half the time i do it wrong and thats why i get extra advice because as the saying go's if i dnt play something right, ill get good at playing things wrong. and thats the wrong way to go about things.. and i take my guitar playing very serouisly dude.

so i know ur entitled 2 ur own opinion however i like 2 perfect many tecniques with guitar. i dnt know if u take ur instrument serouisly but i sure as hell do, so thanks for ur post.

cheers l8r
shader

don't mute the notes with your right hand! that's bad sweep picking, it defeats the purpose of it
Knyq

shader wrote:don't mute the notes with your right hand! that's bad sweep picking, it defeats the purpose of it

+1
bubble

The health authorities may not came storming through your backdoor, but mr carpel tunnel syndrome loves to punish people who practice in the wrong way for prolonged periods............how does 2 operations, a permanent 4inch scar from your elbow down, 6 months rehab before you start playing again sound...

That's right.. I am a great example of how bad technique can nearly ruin your playin carreer. Now I'm not saying that adding in the odd hammer on or pull off will do this, but beware that incorrect technique played vigoursly for prolonged periods of time can put you out for a bit.

On the plus side because I can only play with "proper" tecnique ( I am using this loosely so as not to start a good/bad technique argument with anyone) I can pick/sweep/ etc like an absolute badass, so whilst rsi is not a whole lot of fun, in the long run my playing (and therefore career) has improved. How ironic is that??!?
SPQR

actually not as such it just means learning incorrectly means ull be play wrong stuff good. which is not what you want.
Binky
Newcomer

shader wrote:don't mute the notes with your right hand! that's bad sweep picking, it defeats the purpose of it
Actually, in order to perform it correctly, there should be some muting of the strings. But the muting must occur after the note has been sounded. If you don't mute it after it has been sounded, then you get all the strings ringing together and it won't sound at all good. Next to single-note picking (not sure what to call it, but Yngwie does it a lot), this was a pretty difficult technique to learn.
maestro_89
Newcomer

hey, if you go to www.licklibrary.com and sign up as a member, they've got some awesome tutorial videos with tabs. i used the sweeping video and tab to learn how to do it, and now i'm almost about able to play Fire and Ice by Yngwie Malmsteen
SPQR

hey dude thanks allt ill check that shit out now...CHEERS